PDA

View Full Version : Error Get Package Files

themasterhermit
May 31st, 2013, 21:32
So I purchased FG2, and during the install I get this error:

Error - Get Package Files: Network: Time out.
Retrying in 10 Seconds
updating UpdaterEngine.exe

and continues to retry and repeats the same thing.

Tried port forwarding and that didnt work..

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Trenloe
May 31st, 2013, 22:18
There seems to be undue load on the FG server over the last couple of days. I got similar messages yesterday doing an update and I've not seen them before.

My advice is to wait 15 minutes and try again.

BTW - it's nothing to do with port forwarding, it's a "simple" download from the FG servers.

themasterhermit
June 1st, 2013, 02:47
Ugh, Still not working. Is there a way to check the status of the FG servers?

Trenloe
June 1st, 2013, 03:24
Ugh, Still not working. Is there a way to check the status of the FG servers?
See this thread - post #2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=149697

See how the database restart goes.

Stillborn
June 12th, 2013, 17:19
I'm having the same issue:
I've just bought the FG II Master version and I'm trying to install now.
On the first screen, I've selected my paths and entered my license screen. Then, a new window pops up, telling me what it is currently doing.

It downloads and updates some items, but when it reaches 'updating FantasyGrounds.exe', it gets an error message: 'ERROR - GetPackageFiles: Network: time out'.

Sometimes it continues to other items such as modules/Monsters.mod

It retries a couple of times, but not seem to process...

FG team, please help!
Many thanks!

Trenloe
June 12th, 2013, 17:54
I'm having the same issue:
I've just bought the FG II Master version and I'm trying to install now.
On the first screen, I've selected my paths and entered my license screen. Then, a new window pops up, telling me what it is currently doing.

It downloads and updates some items, but when it reaches 'updating FantasyGrounds.exe', it gets an error message: 'ERROR - GetPackageFiles: Network: time out'.

Sometimes it continues to other items such as modules/Monsters.mod

It retries a couple of times, but not seem to process...
It appears that over the last 2-3 weeks this is happening quite a lot. It happened to me yesterday (updating fantastygrounds.exe) and I had to try the update 2 times (updating uses the same process that is used to install the initial FG application).

Hopefully this will be improved on by the FG server admins soon, but in the meantime I am afraid it is a matter of keep trying.

I've just tried an update now and it seems to be working fine. Also, if you are using WiFi on the PC you are installing to make sure you have good signal strength as there are a lot of files to download and poor signal strength may contribute to the issue - it really shouldn't, but best to make sure you have good signal strength just in case...

Alchemister
June 15th, 2013, 19:17
Having the same problem. Initially I couldn't load a campaign (or any campaign) from the start menu screen. Wouldn't update, as couldn't establish a connection.

Thought I would try a re-install to see if that resolved the issue,, now unable to re-install due to the 'GetProduct/Get Packages' time out error.

More than a little annoying, given that I've had players waiting over an hour now to join a game I can't even start.

Alchemister
Having the same problem. Initially I couldn't load a campaign (or any campaign) from the start menu screen. Wouldn't update, as couldn't establish a connection.

Thought I would try a re-install to see if that resolved the issue,, now unable to re-install due to the 'GetProduct/Get Packages' time out error.

More than a little annoying, given that I've had players waiting over an hour now to join a game I can't even start.

Alchemister

Trenloe
June 15th, 2013, 22:39

This seems to be related to the GMs FG session being unable to communicate to the FG servers to update the alias connection information. Sometimes if the server is really slow to respond it can take 5 minutes to start loading correctly - press the start button once and wait (and hope).

If you are experiencing these delays, you can disable the alias functionality, but you will have to give your players the current external IP address for your game. On the "Load Campaign" screen click "<< Click to rretrieve>>" in the "external" address information box and let your players know this IP address. Also make sure "Enable Alias" is not selected in the alias information section - this should allow you to run your game when there are issues connecting to the FG servers.

Moon Wizard
June 15th, 2013, 23:27
There was some down time with our ISP today. It looks like they resolved the issue.

Regards,
JPG

Alchemister
June 16th, 2013, 13:07
All good, the install suddenly kicked in around 22:30 (ish). All working well again now. Many apologies for the multi-post, not sure what happened there.

Thanks for the feedback. Mostly sorry for the players as we had to abandon ship, but these things happen; still the best software and forum out there!

Players will live to sacrifice their lives another day...

nomar
April 8th, 2015, 07:14
I'm experiencing this error over and over again since last three months. On every computer I tried to install FG2. Now with the DnD 5E official material released I want to play but I can't. How should I proceed to fix this annoying problem?

nomar
April 8th, 2015, 07:17
All my game playmates can install and update with no problem, except me. :cry:

damned
April 8th, 2015, 07:24
Hey nomar where are you located? What happens? Does the updater fail to run or fail to actually update?

Make sure you go into Settings and add your forum username (the one that you used to buy the app) and password and then it can provide you with the right updates. If you bought on Steam make sure you select check Steam for DLC updates.

nomar
April 8th, 2015, 07:42
Hey, "danado" (here in Brazil your nick is spelled this way, hehe). Exactly what is showed on the image I have attached, the update fails to proceed when trying to download and update "UpdateEngine.exe". If I try to install it on a brand new PC with FG web install, the same thing happens, even with the product key and the login made on settings. It was bought through the site store in 2010.
Sorry for my bad English and thanks for the reply.

JohnD
April 8th, 2015, 07:44
Turn off anti virus and try.

nomar
April 8th, 2015, 07:49
I don't have any AV installed, nor firewall enabled. The connection test report "SUCCESS" and the first file "steam_api.dll" is always normaly downloaded. I'm stuck on version 3.0.9 since this problem started to happen. :(

damned
April 8th, 2015, 08:19
Hi nomar the image has to be approved by a moderator still so i cant see it yet.
possibly you are on an IP address range that has been firewalled or something similar due to the good behaviour of some of your compatriots :)

Do you have access to a VPN service?
Also can you look in your %appdata%\fantasy grounds\ folder for updater.log and post the contents:

Getting packages from FG server
Starting update check
Getting purchases from FG server
Checking package FantasyGroundsUpdater for updates
Checking package 3.5E for updates
updating rulesets/3.5E.pak
Checking package 4E for updates
updating rulesets/4E.pak
Checking package 5E for updates
updating rulesets/5E.pak
Checking package CoreRPG for updates
updating rulesets/CoreRPG.pak
Checking package FATECore for updates
Checking package general-addons for updates
updating extensions/Theme_Dungeon.ext
updating extensions/Theme_Wood.ext
Checking package Numenera for updates
updating rulesets/Numenera.pak
Checking package PFRPG for updates
updating rulesets/PFRPG.pak
Checking package SWK01 for updates
updating FantasyGrounds.exe
updating patchnotes.html
updating patchnotes.xml
Checking package Utilities for updates
Checking package VortexGames for updates
Getting purchases from Steam server
Unable to access Steam client.
Please login to Steam, and update again,
or disable Steam DLC option in Settings.
Update check complete

nomar
April 8th, 2015, 11:55
Ah, those inglorious bastards. In this case should a VPN workaround the problem? I don't have access to one right now, but I can do it to see what happens.

[#UPDATE#] I've Installed Hamachi and entered on a random network from Lituania. Same thing happening. I wouldn't mind if you gain controll access through TeamViewer for some minutes to see what you can do locally. In advance, thank you for the help.

Getting packages from FG server
Starting update check
ERROR - GetPackageFiles: Network: time out
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Update check cancelled.

nomar
April 8th, 2015, 12:52
Fresh install. It's weird that "steam_api.dll" can be downloaded, then when it try to get "UpdateEgine.exe", things goes troubling.

https://s4.postimg.org/jjmv6mah8/asdf.jpg

nomar
April 8th, 2015, 18:58
Nothing more? :(

damned
April 8th, 2015, 23:39
i sent you a Private Message straight after your last reply about TV....

MatangaBoots
November 5th, 2015, 05:41
I am getting a message that says
"ERROR-GetPackageFiles: Network:time out
Retrying on 10 secounds
updating rulesets/CoreRPG.pak"

It says this over and over and never loads. I just purchased D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Not sure why that would cause failure to update.

Any help?

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2015, 05:48
It means that the updater is timing out when attempting to get some of the updated files from our update server. It might be a bit busy right now, so you might try a bit later. Also, try sitting next to wireless access point/router if your machine is wireless.

Regards,
JPG

MatangaBoots
November 5th, 2015, 06:14
Thank you. It is updating now. Still not entirely sure why it wouldn't for update for a couple hours then it just started updating like normal.

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2015, 06:46
Since the update pushed today, the load on the server might have gotten pretty heavy earlier.

Regards,
JPG

kane280484
November 5th, 2015, 18:10
FYI: I had the same error as MatangaBoots around half an hour ago, but after 20 minutes update was successful.

Kuromadoshi
September 19th, 2016, 02:09
Hello guys, I'm completely new to Fantasy Grounds, but I'm planning to run a 5ed campaign starting in the next few weeks. I asked my players to install Fantasy Grounds DEMO (since I'm planning to upgrade to ULTIMATE) and create their respective characters. While some installed the software effortlessly, some of them are having the same issues described above.

Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds
Retrying in 10 seconds...

What should I do? Purchasing FG Ultimate licence is a big investment, not to mention, buying all the books again and the adventures. If some of my players cannot install the program, all that money will be wasted, and I'll be forced to go to Roll20. =(

I appreciate any help I can get.

Trenloe
September 19th, 2016, 02:16
Welcome Kuromadoshi.

This will either be a temporary communication issue (reboot the computer and try again) or there will be some security application on the computer that is preventing communication to the FG update servers. Check that there is not a security/anti-virus application that is blocking the Fantasy Grounds updater.

Kuromadoshi
September 19th, 2016, 02:27
Thank you for your prompt response. I'll ask my players to follow your instructions and if the problem persists I'll let you know. Thank you.

damned
September 19th, 2016, 02:36
Also have the affected players send you their IP address (type "what is my ip address?" into google) and pass them on in a single ticket to [email protected] and they can check whether there ip ranges have been blocked at the firewall...

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig4.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Kuromadoshi
September 19th, 2016, 02:48
Thank you damned, I'll see if they're still having issues and get their IP's if necessary. I'm looking forward to play D&D in Fantasy Grounds, the program looks absolutely amazing.

Nylanfs
September 19th, 2016, 13:17
It is, and Welcome to the forums and FG community!

ddavison
September 20th, 2016, 16:05
The IP you sent was not being blocked on our end. We don't block any IP addresses in Brazil unless the server detects abuse from that IP -- which was not the case. I responded via email, but please make sure that you have Fantasy Grounds and the updater marked as allowed within your Anti-virus program.

Valhingen
July 22nd, 2020, 06:04
Good morning all,

Since yesterday (maybe like 12 hours ago), I cannot update FG classic anymore - its getting stuck in a loop of retrying and getting the "ERROR - GetPackageFiles: Network: time out".
I'm running FG since 2014 and didnt have this one before, we also ran a session recently without problems. (curiously, FGU updates without errors).
(firewall allows FG through)

What can I do?

Thank you
Val

damned
July 22nd, 2020, 06:08
Check that the German Youth protection filter is not active on your router.

Valhingen
July 22nd, 2020, 06:26
I must admit, I don't know a whole lot about routers settings but afaik, restrictions like that can only be set for specific access profiles that need to be created? At least I cannot seem to find any overall settings for it and I have not created any such restrictions. (fritz box 6591)

damned
July 22nd, 2020, 06:33
I dont know the settings either. You might wait 12/24hours and see if it is just a transient network issue.

Valhingen
July 22nd, 2020, 09:45
Is there a general difference for updating between FG and FGU? What I tried and checked so far...

FGU - updating no problem
FG - getting stuck for at least 12+ hours
Ports are open and checked and forwarded.
FG connection test turns out ok / green.

damned
July 22nd, 2020, 09:59
They have different update servers and engines.

Valhingen
July 27th, 2020, 12:00
Sadly I still couldnt get this fixed. What throws me off is that the connection test turns out green and ok (it didnt in the past, when we started using Hamachi)...but I still cannot seem to update (GetPackageFiles network time out in an endless loop).
Any other suggestions what I can try to fix this?

Moon Wizard
July 27th, 2020, 23:37
That error indicates that the updater is not able to access the update server; which means that something on your computer or in your network is blocking the connection from the FG updater application to the FG update servers. (To be sure, I just verified that the update servers are working normally; and updating as expected.)

Usually, the block is caused by the network settings on Windows not being set to Private, Windows Defender (or other security software) blocking network access, or settings on your router (or Internet filtering software (i.e. parental control, etc.)) blocking access to the site.

Regards,
JPG

Valhingen
July 31st, 2020, 09:44
Yes, I do not doubt its on my end (afterall, if noone could update for this long, there would be torches and pitchforks). I must say though that its very frustrating that a simple update requires so much settings in places I have never been (not needed) before. I mean, every lousy little app, game or other "icon" on my desktop updates every day it feels like without me ever having opened my router, my firewall or similar.
...so back to this, with googles help I did...
- forward TCP 1802 from router to my PC (checked with tools, its open)
- opened that port in network settings too
- checked that ethernet adapter is on private
None of which helped...the shocking part is that while we had our bumps with actually connecting to a session, since 2014 I never had any update issues and by now, Im out of ideas :( Combined with our usual issues (must use hamachi) I feel almost forced to switch to FGU (which I own, Im just hesitating as to the current state of it)

ddavison
July 31st, 2020, 16:11
Nothing on your firewall for port forwarding applies to running an update. That is only for when you want to start hosting games and have them connect to your computer through your router.

The program on your computer you need to make sure is unblocked is located here by default:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine.exe

Also check this file for completeness:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe

If you right-click on each and check the properties, make sure that Windows does not have it marked as Blocked. If so, there will be an Unblock button. Specifically add those to your Windows firewall (or Windows Defender if you don't have a 3rd party firewall.)

If you already have an entry in your firewall, delete it and then run the Updater. You should see a firewall prompt that asks for access. Make sure to allow it over Private connections.

Valhingen
August 2nd, 2020, 11:33
This is so frustrating :( (I do appreciate the help!) I am glad to hear that updating shouldnt be related to those settings.

So, I am not 100% sure where in the properties of those it would show that they are blocked (not that I would have touched anything there in the last 1-2+ years mind you). According to the security tab, all permissions are on allow and in none of the tabs does it say anything about being blocked (in case it would be obvious to see)

Removing all FG entries from my firewall (windows defender) and trying to update does not prompt anything (I have the checkbox set to notify me). Adding those .exe's to the exception list (allow an app through win firewall) doesnt change anything either I'm afraid.
(FGU updates without issues still)
I even tried to turn off Windows Defender completely...same result, timeout during first update package.

EDIT: More...
So, I am relatively certain this must be something about our new router (was mandatory by ISP), simply because updating isnt working anymore on neither of our 2 PCs (not the player/demo version either).
Nothing on that 2nd PC was changed at all (contrary to mine, where I changed tons of things about firewall and network settings trying to figure this one out)

However...
- all devices are unrestricted in the router
- nothing is on any filter or blocked list (they are all empty)
- everything else works as before (be it Steam, a certain MMO we play with desktop launcher, a few apps I use and as mentioned FGU aswell)
(we really didnt set up much in it...only added phones and tablets to WLAN list while PCs are connected by cable - everything unlimited/unrestricted)

This makes me wonder what on earth could be the specific difference between FG's updater to FGU's that would become an issue with a new router for one but not the other.

Update again - things get weirder (for me anyways)
1. My PC, direct cable connection to router; updating not working anymore for long, tried many things in firewall/network settings - not sure if I made things worse but certainly not better
2. Wifes PC, direct cable connection to router; for ages havent touched any settings there at all, stopped working (I think with new router); I tried deinstalling/reinstalling on this PC but the install process times out exactly the same
...now the bizare one
3. dragged my old laptop out that I used sometime last year to help a live session - that one connects via WLAN and updating works flawless, in fact its pretty fast too
(PS: both PCs plus Laptop use the same profile for the router too - standart/unlimited)

So with my rather limited tech/network knowledge, Id summarize that with a new router (very basic settings), updating ceased working on all cable connected PCs but via WLAN it works (dont have WLAN adapter on main PCs so cannot try there). - any ideas?

ddavison
August 2nd, 2020, 15:47
Do you have any router settings for allowing IPv4 on the wired connections? Maybe those are limited to IPv6 only?

You might try a basic free VPN software. Also, for another data point, can you try to install the demo of Fantasy Grounds Unity on each of those machines- wired and wireless?

Valhingen
August 3rd, 2020, 10:34
After checking virtually any button, tab or subsection of my router's settings, oddly enough the only thing even mentioned overall is ipv4 so it should be the same for wired and wireless machines (actually, if I check the properties of the actual adapters in all machines, their settings are identical too).
I removed the demo version from PC#2 (the one I had not altered anything yet) and tried to re-install the demo version - it goes into the same endless loop as with the update so I cannot even re-install.

Trying a basic VPN software...phew, honestly I wouldnt know where to start and to do that for merely being able to update software seems a bit excessive, no? I'm at the point where I feel almost forced to move over to FGU (I jumped on the KS the day it came out so its not like it would cost me anything now) I'm just a bit hesitant to move the whole campaign over while it seems (just from reading the forum, not personal experience mind you) to still face some bigger issues. Also, not understanding anything of why I have this current problem with classic, I could imagine having similiar problems with FGU in future. That by the way is the number one reason for "us" to hope for FGU, improvement in connection technology and not needing things like Hamachi any longer.

ddavison
August 3rd, 2020, 14:14
FG Classic requires support for IPv4. There are a limited number of IPv4 addresses and some places (Germany is a big one) where many ISPs have switched over entirely to IPv6. Most places in the U.S. still support both IPv4 and IPv6. FGU supports both.

If you already have FGU from the Kickstarter, please do try that and just copy over your campaigns folder contents once you are able to verify that you install okay.

Zacchaeus
August 3rd, 2020, 14:30
FG Classic requires support for IPv4. There are a limited number of IPv4 addresses and some places (Germany is a big one) where many ISPs have switched over entirely to IPv4. Most places in the U.S. still support both IPv4 and IPv6. FGU supports both.

If you already have FGU from the Kickstarter, please do try that and just copy over your campaigns folder contents once you are able to verify that you install okay.

He means IPv6 :)

Valhingen
August 3rd, 2020, 14:57
FG Classic requires support for IPv4. There are a limited number of IPv4 addresses and some places (Germany is a big one) where many ISPs have switched over entirely to IPv6. Most places in the U.S. still support both IPv4 and IPv6. FGU supports both.

I trust you mean to say I should use FGU or do you mean to update FGU and copy over to FG classic? (would be suprising if that works)
As for IPv4 vs. IPv6....yes, its rather annoying. I know that about 3 years ago our ISP switched (without asking or info) when we moved houses while upgrading the line - that day FG classic ceased to work (or better for players to connect). Then came the whole Hamachi stuff (which really none of us was happy to use). Now with my current problem here, our ISP "forced" us to replace the router by a newer model and strangely enough I do not even find any IPv6 reference in its setting anymore. Not sure if I can check it somewhere for certain whats used.

Nylanfs
August 3rd, 2020, 19:11
See if there is an online account settings you can access, that's how I turn it off on my ISP provided router.

Valhingen
August 4th, 2020, 11:09
See if there is an online account settings you can access, that's how I turn it off on my ISP provided router.

Not sure what to turn off (?). I also checked my online account of that router but there is little there; almost no settings and mostly reporting.

LordEntrails
August 4th, 2020, 16:16
Not sure what to turn off (?). I also checked my online account of that router but there is little there; almost no settings and mostly reporting.
Does your ISP provide a web based interface for accessing your 'Security'? Many of the ISPs in the US call it "Advanced Security" but it can go by many different names. For instance, my ISP, Cox, uses the product 'Home Assure' from ARRIS/CommScope that Cox calls 'Advanced Security'. And it has a webpage that I can log into to manage my 'Panaromic Wifi' settings for things like setting up parental controls, allowing/controlling devices that can connect, etc.

Valhingen
August 4th, 2020, 17:50
Ah yes, thats is what I keep refering to when I say all settings of my router and thats where all our devices have unrestricted access, no blacklist, nothing blocked whatsoever. During these, not sure...2 weeks? I went through literally every single section and subsection in those settings again and again without finding any obvious cause (most is pretty much default). Down to that last bit where I noticed that only the direct LAN connections fail to update (or reinstall) FG...the ancient WLAN laptop handles it just fine. Obviously I checked Internet and WLAN settings of my router in particular detail but again, there doesnt seem to be any restrictions at all to explain this... :(

Valhingen
August 5th, 2020, 11:19
So our groups little drama continues...no progress whatsoever in getting FG classic to update or reinstalled on either of the directly connected PCs, effectively stopping us from playing completely and I'm afraid, indefinately unless there are more/new ideas what to check or try :(

Figured I finally give up and use FGU, afterall our hope was that at least in regards to connection setup it should be much easier and not require any VPN stuff (Im not talking about disconnects or lagging, its early release afterall)...

EDIT: I removed some frustrating issue I had with FGU which I deleted because its partly fixed. What still puzzles me is that I won't see my own, public cloud game in the list but if I just enter DM name and hit join, it works...odd but ok; now I need to get our friends to download it so we can start how well that goes....

damned
August 5th, 2020, 15:00
The tracerts and http test you did for me suggest that the server at FGs end is accepting traffic from you and that you can reach both of them with both http and icmp.
This really does suggest that there is some filtering or blocking of the traffic at a higher level - eg maybe an application layer packet filter or firewall.
There is another German poster somewhere having the same issue and it was not resolved as far as I can recall but i couldnt find the thread.

RHManiac
August 5th, 2020, 17:14
I have been having issues updating my FG Classic over the last couple of weeks myself. When I try to update, EVERYTHING ELSE can and will update except FantasyGrounds.exe.

When it goes to update that file, it gives me a message that states "HandleFile: Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.exe)".

My install has never had this issue prior.

Any ideas what is happening here?

RHManiac
August 5th, 2020, 17:26
I have been having issues updating my FG Classic over the last couple of weeks myself. When I try to update, EVERYTHING ELSE can and will update except FantasyGrounds.exe.

When it goes to update that file, it gives me a message that states "HandleFile: Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.exe)".

My install has never had this issue prior.

Any ideas what is happening here?

And I solved my problem by deleting the current FantasyGrounds.exe file and letting the Updater do its thing. Ended up with Version 3.3.11 ULTIMATE.

Valhingen
August 5th, 2020, 18:20
The tracerts and http test you did for me suggest that the server at FGs end is accepting traffic from you and that you can reach both of them with both http and icmp.
This really does suggest that there is some filtering or blocking of the traffic at a higher level - eg maybe an application layer packet filter or firewall.
There is another German poster somewhere having the same issue and it was not resolved as far as I can recall but i couldnt find the thread.

As for the bold stuff...absolutely no idea but that wouldnt be something I control, would it? (also, please note that WLAN makes it right through, no issues)