PDA

View Full Version : Deadlands Reloaded: Issues

scionofnyarlathotep
May 31st, 2013, 01:51
Marshalled a game of DLR tonight and we encountered a few problems.

- The left most PC in the top left of the screen could not be entered into by the player or the GM. Our solution was to have a blank character template created that became the left most PC, thus allowing the player and GM access to the 'real' character as the second left most PC. Strangely, when images were shared with the PCs, it was the left most (blank) PC that appeared on the shared image as having received the image.

- Fate chips were not appearing in the Bennies box on the character sheet when they had been allocated from the fate pot. The text was appearing in the chat box but not on the PC sheet. There was no issue with the Marshall's fate chips.

- Has there ever been a location on the PC sheet for Grit? Has it always been necessary to include it as a Setting adjustment?

- The following script error appeared when trying to select an Arcane Type on the Powers tab

Script Error: [string "powers_subwindow:tplist"]:1: attempt to call field 'powerPointsVisible' (a nil value)

For information, I was running the following:

- Fantasy Grounds v2.9.3
- Adventure Deck
- Savage Worlds Deluxe
- Ikael's SWFI v0.713

FG2 eventually crashed and we aborted the session early. Whether the problems tonight were anything to do with the upgrade to v2.9.4 is unknown.

The players may have had other issues that I missed - looking at zackspacks and S Ferguson to contribute on that.

I'd appreciate your help, especially with the first point which is very, very frustrating.

Cheers

Trenloe
May 31st, 2013, 02:52
Whether the problems tonight were anything to do with the upgrade to v2.9.4 is unknown.
I'd be very surprised if it was as a result of the upgrade to v2.9.4. The only change to 2.9.4 is the code to allow for a time limited full to ultimate upgrade.

phantomwhale
May 31st, 2013, 05:40
Darn - had a long response, and my browser lost it.

So apologies, you get the short answer now; whenever you have two extensions that both try and change the same thing, you can expect things to break (like you are seeing).

So Ikael's extension simply won't work with the Deadlands: Reloaded extension, as they both get stuck into some core things like the portraits and combat tracker.

Next release of SW will have a good amount of Ikael's extension added in (Ikael and I have been working hard on that) with lots of corner-case bugs and surprises squashed out too, hopefully; and all commercial extensions should, naturally, be compatible with that new version (Doswelk and I have been working hard on that).

But for now, you've got to take your pick of DLR or Ikael's work (or ask Ikael nicely to produce a DLR-friendly version - but that would all be throw-away effort in the long term, so I suspect he might politely decline !)

Ok, that wasn't that short...

scionofnyarlathotep
May 31st, 2013, 09:04
Darn - had a long response, and my browser lost it.

So apologies, you get the short answer now; whenever you have two extensions that both try and change the same thing, you can expect things to break (like you are seeing).

So Ikael's extension simply won't work with the Deadlands: Reloaded extension, as they both get stuck into some core things like the portraits and combat tracker.

Next release of SW will have a good amount of Ikael's extension added in (Ikael and I have been working hard on that) with lots of corner-case bugs and surprises squashed out too, hopefully; and all commercial extensions should, naturally, be compatible with that new version (Doswelk and I have been working hard on that).

But for now, you've got to take your pick of DLR or Ikael's work (or ask Ikael nicely to produce a DLR-friendly version - but that would all be throw-away effort in the long term, so I suspect he might politely decline !)

Ok, that wasn't that short...

Thanks for the response PW, I'll disable Ikael's extension next time and hopefully it'll run as intended. I'll have a look at it again tonight when i get home and run some testing on it.

What's the news on 3.4 release? I wasn't able to play in Doswelk's session on Tuesday so I'm not sure if any further issues were identified there. Is there a planned release date?

phantomwhale
May 31st, 2013, 12:57
Currently, there are still bugs with the "speak as ally" and "languages" features (from the extension) and I'm finding that the character portrait "widgets" (e.g. bennies, the AFK icon) are not getting properly initialized, meaning some players / the GM can't see benny stacks or set the AFK setting.

Other than that, the ruleset is looking pretty sturdy right now. Have got 99.9% of Deadlands: Noir in place (due for a mega-playtest over this weekend's FG Con !) and then there are still a few parts of Deadlands: Reloaded that will need fixing up - mainly more parts that have been absorbed into the core ruleset (like Arcane Types).

It's like Russian Dolls - you crack the big thing open and then have 7 little things to fix, but inside each of those... had been aiming for this weekend for final playtests - not quite there clearly !

If you're running another DLR game later on, perhaps you could playtest the 3.4 version of DLR for me ? I guarantee a better experience than the one you had above ! You have my email, I believe, so ping me if your interested ! Should have something solid to try out, DLR-wise, in a week or so.

Ikael
May 31st, 2013, 15:52
Currently, there are still bugs with the "speak as ally" and "languages" features (from the extension)

I thought that I made a pull request about these fixes some time ago. I haven't had any issues with these when using SWFI 0.74 (SW v3.4 compatible version) where these changes are in.

But like Phantomwhale stated, SWFI and Deadlands extension are not currently compatible with each other, but after SW v3.4 gets released I will be providing compatibility adapter extension for SWFI-Deadlands so that further SWFI versions are compatible with Deadlands. In addition Adventure Deck extension is in my SWFI compatible scope. Currently it's no use to make compatibility adapter for SW v3.3 SWFI-Deadlands because the new version will be out sometime "soon" and there are way too many changes out there between the versions..

scionofnyarlathotep
May 31st, 2013, 16:51
Currently, there are still bugs with the "speak as ally" and "languages" features (from the extension) and I'm finding that the character portrait "widgets" (e.g. bennies, the AFK icon) are not getting properly initialized, meaning some players / the GM can't see benny stacks or set the AFK setting.

Other than that, the ruleset is looking pretty sturdy right now. Have got 99.9% of Deadlands: Noir in place (due for a mega-playtest over this weekend's FG Con !) and then there are still a few parts of Deadlands: Reloaded that will need fixing up - mainly more parts that have been absorbed into the core ruleset (like Arcane Types).

It's like Russian Dolls - you crack the big thing open and then have 7 little things to fix, but inside each of those... had been aiming for this weekend for final playtests - not quite there clearly !

If you're running another DLR game later on, perhaps you could playtest the 3.4 version of DLR for me ? I guarantee a better experience than the one you had above ! You have my email, I believe, so ping me if your interested ! Should have something solid to try out, DLR-wise, in a week or so.

More than willing to test 3.4 and DLR for you, drop something in my Dropbox and let me know and I'll get on to it for you.