PDA

View Full Version : Map I made for the old school Ziggurat mega dungeon Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Invictys
May 29th, 2013, 22:31
Please be gentle it's my first time lol!

I made this old school Gary Gygax AD&D mega dungeon of C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan after finding that they revamped it and converted it to 4e (Dungeon #209).

I used Photoshop for the whole thing and made heavy use of the tutorials as well as styles and pattern presets I got from Dr. Zuess at https://www.drzeuss.co.uk/ and the tutorials located here https://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/tactical-mapping

I feel like they came out pretty well considering it's my first foray into mapping of any kind.

The objects are from the Dunkinni CUSAC as well as other publicly available art I shamelessly leeched =)

I took some liberties with some of it as i run a Dark Sun campaign so some of the things like dragons and octopus don't fit.

Even though I don't plan to make any changes to these maps feedback is welcome and appreciated. Enjoy!

For those that aren't familiar it's a Ziggurat/Pyramid style dungeon with the adventure actually beginning on the underground Tier 1 and they have to make their way out of the only exit at the top of the Ziggurat on Tier 3.

[I]Edit: the high res images aren't so high res after putting them on Photobucket, I'll put up a download link as soon as I add them to dropbox.

Tier1 Composite (low res for visualization only)

Tier 2

Tier 3

Tier 1 Left high res

Tier 1 Center high res

Tier 1 Right h

Trenloe
May 29th, 2013, 22:46
Wow! These are great. Are you sure it's your "first time"?? ;)

Invictys
May 29th, 2013, 22:53
Heh thanks, I have some small amount of familiarity with Photoshop but just basic stuff, the presets and tutorial from Dr. Zeuss are amazing I have to give most of the credit to him.

damned
May 30th, 2013, 01:53
nice job Invictys.

JohnD
May 30th, 2013, 02:15
Nice work. How long did it take?

Invictys
May 30th, 2013, 02:28
Thanks, it took me probably 10 hours or more but that's mostly because I hadn't used Photoshop in years and had to relearn everything.

The next one wouldn't take me more than a few hours I think now that I'm over the learning curve.

dr_venture
May 30th, 2013, 03:01
Looks great! My only suggestion would be that you might benefit to have a little grid scale somewhere that the players won't see it - that way it is easier to get you FG grid matched to your map when you import it.

Invictys
May 30th, 2013, 03:42
Looks great! My only suggestion would be that you might benefit to have a little grid scale somewhere that the players won't see it - that way it is easier to get you FG grid matched to your map when you import it.

Good point, the map is scaled for 50x50 grid but your idea would work great for easy grid placement. Thanks for the tip I'll do that for the next one.

I do have a grid layer but I prefer to just use the FG grid

Trenloe
May 30th, 2013, 03:45
Good point, the map is scaled for 50x50 grid but your idea would work great for easy grid placement. Thanks for the tip I'll do that for the next one.
Having a 50x50 square somewhere unobtrusive is handy to get the size right.

Also, depending what ruleset you will be using (assuming 3.5e?) the grid placement controls will make it a breeze - you can nudge the grid in all 4 directions and increase/decrease the size one pixel at a time.

gmkieran
May 30th, 2013, 14:10
Beautiful work, Invictys! Esp for re-learning Photoshop at the same time. thanks for sharing!!

Bumamgar
June 1st, 2013, 01:46
Also, depending what ruleset you will be using (assuming 3.5e?) the grid placement controls will make it a breeze - you can nudge the grid in all 4 directions and increase/decrease the size one pixel at a time.
How does one do this with the 3.5e ruleset?

Trenloe
June 1st, 2013, 01:56
How does one do this with the 3.5e ruleset?
The GM has a menu on the image - click the grey icon on the top left of the image to open the image menu and click the grid icon to bring up the menu.

Bumamgar
June 1st, 2013, 02:15
Wow! That's awesome, thank you!

Drarathelle
January 1st, 2014, 16:27
Very nice work. Thank you!