PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of running a DnD 3.5 game, if enough people interested.

elydustin
May 29th, 2013, 13:03
Hello, I am pretty new to fantasy grounds but I am a pretty seasoned 3.5e DnD player and am thinking of running a casual reoccuring DnD game twice or once a week. I don't want to go through all the hassle of preparing for a game that has no players, so I wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in joining in on some old school, fun, casual, dungeon crawling and adventure.

The days available are:
Sunday and Monday morning/evening
Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning
Thursday morning

(All hours are EDT) Morning hours are between 11:30 am-3:30pm; evening hours are 9pm - 1am. I would like to play twice a week but once is fine, preferably Sunday evenings and/or Thursday mornings.

I will have only 4 slots available, and possibly move up to 6 if I feel comfortable enough after getting a few games in.

The adventure will be custom made, but loosely based on the Temple of Elemental Chaos classic and will be for lv 4 characters. Expectations include treasure, tavern hopping, traveling, magic dungeons, lots of traps, boss battles, and a pretty straightforward story. Like I said this is a casual game so don't worry about overclocking your characters, this is primarily for roleplaying and creativity. I prefer to run on teamspeak, though ventrilo is acceptable too if everyone prefers that.

If there's enough interest in a game like this I'd love to run it, but don't come expecting a ton of rules, just come to have some fun.

If interested, comment below. Thank you.

Parnash
May 29th, 2013, 20:25
Sure, why not? I'll toss my lot in. I'd prefer Monday evening for the moment, but next week, any time should be fine.

Hemophage
May 30th, 2013, 00:52
i am down for something like that, sundays works best for me. i could also do monday evenings, but no mornings

elydustin
May 30th, 2013, 04:13
Awesome, if I can get at least 4 people around we can start planning specifically. Lets shoot for Sunday evenings or Monday mornings if possible. We may have to scoot the schedule around a bit. But for now lets aim for Sundays 9pm - 1am EDT.

Ksathra
May 31st, 2013, 06:43
I'd be up for a nice D&d game, twice a week sounds cool too, almost have to wait too long between games when its once a week :P

Ienai
May 31st, 2013, 09:48
I am available on the following times. If you end up picking these times I would be very willing to join you and others.

Monday Mornings, Tuesday Mornings, Wednesday Mornings and Thursday Mornings.

~Ienai

elydustin
May 31st, 2013, 16:24
Well so far we have at least 2 for Monday mornings. By the way you all remembered to look at the times for my mornings? 11am-3:30am EDT right? If so....perhaps Monday mornings would get the most people, albeit sunday mornings would work as well.

So I guess lets do this diplomatically, cast a vote for Sunday evenings (9pm-1am EDT) or Monday mornings (11am-3:30am EDT)!

Ksathra
May 31st, 2013, 17:14
I'd like to point out a 11am to 3:30 am game sounds rather epically long.

I vote for both... perhaps Monday is better for me though.

Parnash
May 31st, 2013, 17:41
At this point, both work for me. My other question, which version do you have, Full or Ultimate?

elydustin
June 1st, 2013, 19:00
I have a full license, and as for the time I don't anticipate our game lasting from the full 11am-3:30pm, that's just the time frame I can set aside for our gaming. Realistically we would start about 30-45 minutes late and play for roughly 2 hours, but allowing room for 3 should we run into an intermission.

Edit:

I just heard word from a local friend who will be joining us too. So we will have a party of 3 thus far. He is a human cleric, and let's shoot for lv 4 characters. You can all begin working on them, keep in mind this is a casual game. Don't bring any radiant servant of Pelor or Drows or anything crazy. Just stick to the core books or whatever you have in your personal library, so long as you can back up your documentation. I'll take a look at the characters Monday morning and we can go from there!

In addition, I lean more towards a fun time and roleplaying than stat boosting and battle mongering. Also, the adventure is sort of just "put together" and inspired by Dark Souls and classic AD&D. Bring some Mountain Dew and Cheetos! :)

Parnash
June 1st, 2013, 19:23
Crap... I don't think I'll be able to join, I use the free version...

elydustin
June 1st, 2013, 19:25
You'll be able to join me this coming monday, until Jun7th I have an Ultimate License from the FG con. So this Monday we can play, but not next unfortunately :(.

Parnash
June 1st, 2013, 19:29
I'd rather bow out than just join for one session, then... Sorry guys.

Ksathra
June 2nd, 2013, 05:05
Did you want to talk in Pms about character creation? just curious about details like roll 4d6 dropping lowest or using a point buy system for main stats?
are we starting with the DMGs 5400gp?

elydustin
June 2nd, 2013, 05:42
Did you want to talk in Pms about character creation? just curious about details like roll 4d6 dropping lowest or using a point buy system for main stats?
are we starting with the DMGs 5400gp?

Good point you bring up. To follow along in the theme of the story of a humble beginning, I'd like to start you all off with 2000g only. Don't worry, there will be things to find along the way of this adventure.

As for stats go with the 4d6 rule, dropping the 1 lowest. In addition to that be sure to have an average of 10. You do this by taking all of your stats adding them all up and divide them by 6 and be sure your result is over 10. If it isn't, then re-roll all your stats, keeping none of them from the previous roll.

elydustin
June 2nd, 2013, 05:43
I'd rather bow out than just join for one session, then... Sorry guys.

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us! I hope you are able to get a full license soon so that we can have you join in sometime :). Best of luck.

Ksathra
June 2nd, 2013, 08:57
As for character I was thinking of a gnome that's trying to release his arcane bloodline through draconic Features (Gnome Dragonfire Adept 4) or maybe a fighter that's been an elven slave since birth 123 years ago and who has a hard time adjusting to being free (Wood Elf fighter 4)

Dragonfire Adept is from Dragon magic... kinda of an obscure book I suppose, maybe the elven Fighter would work best. I was thinking she might turn paladin at some point. What are the other players thinking though. If we have a front-line fighter I can make the arcane gnome guy.

Ksathra
June 3rd, 2013, 15:09
First game at 11:30 am today?

elydustin
June 4th, 2013, 03:05
Sorry for the late reply, but so far it's only you Ksthra. I have a local friend who may join, but he needs to buy the software first. If he joins he will be a human cleric of Heronius, the classic good hearted cleric. I don't plan on running this game until we have at least a confirmed 3 players. So far we have just 1...and I could run with only 2, but three would be great.

Ksathra
June 4th, 2013, 03:29
ah alright. back in the day when I joined FG ultimate license did not exist and the closest thing to that was the packages of full+3-4 lites together. So I kinda have keys laying around, because that group kinda fell apart long time ago.

If its just me what time works for you on Mondays? I hang around a vent channel who's owner tends to be around most days and he's always up for some D&D, so that could be another player. He's not around till afternoon normally though.

I'm available
Monday morning/evening
Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning, Thursday morning

So everything you posted except for Sunday's I have a D&d game from 6pm-midnight about.

The other guy suggests Tuesday mornings 11am-3pm EDT or something along those lines. That works for me.

Zorikune
June 4th, 2013, 07:37
I'll join as well, just depends on the time cause I play WoW and raid from 11:00 PM to 2:00 AM EST Mondays to Thursdays. Can do anytime though on Fridays to Sundays.

elydustin
June 4th, 2013, 12:22
Tuesday sounds good to me, however I just heard something about schedule changes at work meaning my schedule may be changing as well. There is the possibility I will only be available during evenings and weekends if things go the way I expect them to. Which means 9pm to 1am games on weekdays or Saturday morning games....depends on how things work out. But if your friend is wanting to play we can try to get the schedule to where the 3 of us can get a game starting After this week.

Edit: You said you have extra keys laying around? What do you mean by that? Because if you mean full keys then I have a friend who would be most appreciative for one so he can play with us on a regular basis.

Ksathra
June 4th, 2013, 16:52
Well I only have 1 full key. I have 3-4 lite ones though.

Evenings work better for my friend anyway, so if things change thats good. I cant do Saturdays because of work though.

Micael78
June 4th, 2013, 17:14
Well, I would be interested in this.

I just found the site and currently do not have a license. If possible, I would love to borrow a lite license to join in.

However, i am in the UK and I would love to join, but realistically, would only be able to do early starts in EST (so the Morning slots that you mentioned)

Anyway, let me know if this is of interest to you, and I will be happy to scribble something down for a character.

Rune_Prophet
June 4th, 2013, 17:18
I would be intested in joining up as well, Tuesday mornings would be best for me.

Rickerdoo
June 4th, 2013, 21:06
I am new to FG, but have been gaming for 25 years. I would like the chance to play and learn about FG. I am central USA time zone and free evenings.

elydustin
June 5th, 2013, 02:26
Well looks like filling slots shouldn't be too hard :) I'll go ahead and schedule a game for Next Tuesday morning at 11:30 until 3:30pm EDT. We may not play the whole time, but that's the time I can allot for our game.

Now there's a chance things may change! I'll keep everyone posted on any developments. But go ahead and make your characters and I'll see about getting a game going in the calendar.

Character creation rules: 4d6 rolled 6 times, with an average score of 10 or better. If your average is lower, then re-roll ALL of the stats. Core books only, unless you have the book in your personal library and are dependable enough to relay info to me as needed (Don't assume everyone knows what you're talking about) :)

Remember, this is a casual game! For fun! :)

EDIT: Saw I wrote 9 am....was supposed to be 11:30 am! It's corrected now.

Ksathra
June 5th, 2013, 03:00
Alright, you going to be using TS, whats your Alias going to be as well?

Micael78
June 5th, 2013, 09:34
Sounds great, I will roll up a character and I will post the links here.

I will be using Myth Weavers to maintain sheet and keep track of rolls like this (such as stats) on a game forum there.
It helps because of the built in dice roller that cant be tampered with without the forum posting tamper alerts on the post :)

Here is the link for it:

Link to Character on the Myth Weaver site. (https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25700&tg=34404)

Once a game is up I will of course transfer it all into the game (If i understand correctly how it works!)

elydustin
June 5th, 2013, 20:02
Yeah everything you need to make a character is in the FG software including your dice, sheets, and the ability to just drag and drop spells and items into your inventory and actions. It also auto-fills quite a bit of it in for you as you work on your character. It's pretty neat, and transferring your character to FG is mandatory, I will need to be able to use your character sheet during the game play to runn the party and combat tracker right.

As for TeamSpeak 3 yes I will be using it, my alias is Elydustin. I prefer to do all my roleplaying inside the chat of FG, and keep the teamspeak to OOC banter and combat. I don't have a server, instead I make a channel in the public server and set a password to it.

Ksathra
June 6th, 2013, 00:34
Alright. Rune owns a Ventrilo channel an offers it up to anyone wanting to use it if you'd rather.

For the Alias I was actually asking about the 4 random generated words that FG uses for players to connect with the player.

I think the reason Michael was mentioning that program is because rolling 4d6 without a GM around I guess you could cheat and just take what ever numbers you wanted.

elydustin
June 6th, 2013, 13:44
Gotcha Ksathra. As for the Alias I have "young turret just nail". I am getting a TS3 server secured for us and I'll have the password and address up here soon. As for the rolling, this is a casual game and as long as your stats aren't looking like "18,18,16,18,15,15" Then I'm not too worried, and the site that allows you to save your rolls is pretty neat and useful, and thanks for sharing it, Micael! :) Anyone else who plans on playing can use this to show me their rolls if they want, I saved it to my bookmarks.

Now as you are all making your characters keep in mind these few things: When we do play; I want to know your motives for adventuring (Why do you do what you do?), your weaknesses or fears, what things make you tick and sets you apart from any other adventurer? And your strengths, habits, and personality. The numbers part of playing is important for skills and mechanical aspects of the game, but so long as everyone remembers that this is just to have fun, power rolling and meta-gaming won't be much of an issue.

EDIT:

Also I corrected a typo about the times playing I'm scheduling for Tuesday (June, 11th) 11:30am - 3:30pm. So far I have 2 confirmed players:
Micael
Ksathra

Anyone else interested I want to see a confirmed "yes I'll play, sign me up" and I'll add you to this list and hopefully see you at game-time. We're looking for 1 or 2 more players and no more, so respond fast!

Ksathra
June 6th, 2013, 17:02
alright, sounds good. I should have everything ready, see you on Tuesday.

Zorikune
June 6th, 2013, 17:23
Is your campaign hidden on the game calendar? Cause I can't find yours and have been trying to find it.

Rune_Prophet
June 6th, 2013, 19:24
I am interested in playing. I private messaged you a few things. Might want to check em out.

elydustin
June 7th, 2013, 01:32
This game isn't on the game calendar yet. Still working on that when I get a chance.

Parnash
June 7th, 2013, 01:35
Huh. Would getting a Lite License allow me to join? If you're full up, which I wouldn't be surprised, seeing the surge of people wanting to join, just ignore this.

Eanelen
June 7th, 2013, 03:48
Is there still an opening in this game? I'd love a chance to join.

elydustin
June 10th, 2013, 19:10
Just got some bad news friends. Someone quit where I work and now I have to pull double shifts until we find a replacement and hours return to normal. Hopefully this only lasts for a week, but I'll keep everyone updated. For now, post-pone for next Tuesday. Gives us another week of planning, not that it needs it...but I hope we can get this game running then.

Micael78
June 10th, 2013, 19:41
Ahh sorry to hear about your work. Hope it sorts out soon. I will be around and waiting until then.

Ksathra
June 11th, 2013, 00:50
yeah, Rune and I are still around, we will wait

elydustin
June 13th, 2013, 06:01
Yeah sorry again about the long delay. I need to put work first and until next week I don't think I'll be able to start. So we'll shoot for next Tuesday again. Thanks for keeping touch everyone!

Micael78
June 15th, 2013, 18:08
So we are looking at Tuesday the 25th? I am still around and waiting :)

Ksathra
June 18th, 2013, 17:01
Are we playing today on the 18th? I'm not sure if work is in the way or if it was only last week that the game was canceled.

Micael78
June 18th, 2013, 17:02
Im curious about this as well. I am here if we are going today :)

Ksathra
June 18th, 2013, 17:10
I think FG info is young turret just nail
I think Teamspeak site is teamspeak.fg-con.com
dunno if those are both right though.

Micael78
June 24th, 2013, 10:55
Tuesday fast approaching again, but ive heard nothing yet :(

Ksathra
June 26th, 2013, 12:13
Tuesday gone and past and Still no word from GM

Micael78
June 26th, 2013, 12:15
Ahh well. Here is holding on to hope :(

Ksathra
July 5th, 2013, 07:57
Well might it be safe to assume the GM has died? Or perhaps he is just too busy filling in shifts for the other person at work to respond to this thread?

JohnD
July 8th, 2013, 05:08
Well might it be safe to assume the GM has died? Or perhaps he is just too busy filling in shifts for the other person at work to respond to this thread?
He' not been on the boards since making the above post; that may be the logical assumption to reach, unfortunately.

blckattk
July 9th, 2013, 04:43
if you have space i would like to join