PDA

View Full Version : Linux & local IP

sakmerlin37
May 27th, 2013, 00:44
Hello all,

I have FGII running on Wine in openSUSE 12.3 and have been learning to create a new campaign; the one problem I have is that the local IP address does not show up and I cannot enter it, as the GM. I can get my external IP address and connect that way, but nothing happens on the local network.

Anybody have any experience with this one?

Thanks,

Steve

Trenloe
May 27th, 2013, 01:15
I have FGII running on Wine in openSUSE 12.3 and have been learning to create a new campaign; the one problem I have is that the local IP address does not show up and I cannot enter it, as the GM.
You don't "enter" the IP address, Fantasy Grounds will "listen" for connections on the IP address that Linux is using. Just find out what the IP address is for your Linux Operating System and use that to connect from another computer on your local network.

If you want to run a second instance of Fantasy Grounds on the same Linux computer, use localhost as the host address when you connect as a player from a second instance on the same machine as the GM instance running the campaign.

sakmerlin37
May 27th, 2013, 04:01
Thank you, Trenloe, when I get home I'll open a second instance & try to connect :)

sakmerlin37
May 27th, 2013, 20:46
I tried connecting with another instance and received an error: "License key conflict."

Trenloe
May 27th, 2013, 20:50
I tried connecting with another instance and received an error: "License key conflict."
Try using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. Perhaps Linux resolves localhost into the LAN IP address - which would give this error.

sakmerlin37
May 27th, 2013, 20:53
No go on that one, either; I have my /etc/hosts file setup for localhost & 127.0.0.1 to be the same.

Trenloe
May 27th, 2013, 21:04
I haven't used FG on Linux except only to do basic testing. Perhaps someone with more experience of this will be able to help you. It looks like Wine may be treating each instance of FG as a separate instance of Windows and so the usual localhost connection can't be used this way. Unless there is some way to run Wine as a single environment. Sorry if I'm using the wrong Wine terminology here...

sakmerlin37
May 27th, 2013, 21:07
No problem, thanks for trying. Each wine instance is a separate child process and shouldn't be tied together, perhaps that is the problem. I believe Windows handles a second instance of a program as a child of the original program... I might have a way to test this :)

EDIT: Nope on that one as well, tried to open two windows under the same terminal