PDA

View Full Version : Customize Adventure Deck

spacce1889
May 24th, 2013, 03:20
Is there any way to Add , remove, or modify Adventure cards for specific themes or campaigns?

Trenloe
May 24th, 2013, 04:55
Refer to the "Extending the Adventure Deck" section of the adventure deck documentation: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/AdventureDeckDocumentation.pdf

sakmerlin37
July 12th, 2013, 21:26
@Trenloe

Thanks for the point in the right direction. I'm looking forward to adding the Suzerain cards to my game :).

EDIT: edited it for thanks

sakmerlin37
July 12th, 2013, 23:07
Okay, I'm a little confused on how the Adventure Deck is set up.

I am going to make a specific Adventure Deck: Suzerain module since it has a full set of cards all its own.

In my module, I will create:

<images> folder
client.xml
common.xml
definition.xml

So far so good, I hope; however, in looking in the <images> folder, they are full-size images at 465x650p, with no <image_name>_drag.jpg to accompany them.

When I look in the extension, the <image_name>.jpg and <image_name>_drag.jpg both exist; however, the full-size versions do not.

How do I call the full-size images from the new module I created?

Trenloe
July 12th, 2013, 23:19
How do I call the full-size images from the new module I created?
See page 10 of the Adventure Deck Documentation.

Note the first card definition for "QuickFuneral". This has an image entry of "refimage.cards.quickfuneral@Adventure Deck" - this is referring to the <refimage><cards><quickfunderal> entry in the "Adventure Deck" module.

Wherever you see an @ sign this will usually be referring to the name of a module, the entries before the @ sign refer to the location of the data within the module XML. This is covered on page 16 of the document.

EDIT: Also make sure you are using the "Adventure Deck Configuration" extension discussed on the previous page to create your custom adventure deck.

phantomwhale
July 12th, 2013, 23:36
Thanks Trenloe for covering the questions - better answer than I might have given (seriously, I've forgotten all of this stuff...). Had hoped the documentation would be a good guide - shame it's also so hard to find sometimes !

It's not simple to create an extension, that much is acknowledged, but I'm pleased it was at least possible, as it struck me that the deck really HAD to be customize-able to be a good offering.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2013, 23:39
The documentation for the adventure deck is some of the best I have seen for FG. :)

Adding cards just covers a lot of FG concepts that could be overwhelming (extensions, modules, links to modules, graphic references, XML references, LUA data, etc.). It really is a case of starting on page 9 and slowly stepping through it all - one step at a time. There aren't any short-cuts to doing this!

sakmerlin37
July 13th, 2013, 00:20
Thanks, Trenloe.

Do I re-zip the created folder <AdventureDeckConfig> within the original adventure deck file? Or, do I leave it as is?

Trenloe
July 13th, 2013, 00:26
Do I re-zip the created folder <AdventureDeckConfig> within the original adventure deck file? Or, do I leave it as is?
It is an additional extension that overwrites the original - so you can turn on or off your customisations and still have the original adventure deck if desired. As such it is separate to the original adventure deck file.

As such you can leave it as is (the directory in \extensions) or you can zip the directory up (from within the directory itself) and make this an actual .ext file (and remove the directory so it doesn't clash with the extension). If you don't plan to distribute the extension to anyone then there is no need to create the .ext file, leaving it as a directory is fine, and easier for you to tinker with.

sakmerlin37
July 13th, 2013, 22:25
@Trenloe & Ben,

Aye, the documentation is great :). Thank you for taking the time to put it out there.

I've finished typing everything into the separate files, and I have to say that it was quite a chore for 63 cards!

I'm not able to see any of them, yet. In my new <AdventureDeckConfig/scripts/adventuredeckconfig.lua> should I delete all the other card entries except for the ones I put in there?

In my PREFS section I can see the number of cards I added to the Adventure Deck; it gives me an option to include or exclude them; however, when I check the include box, I do not see any cards. Trying to track down my problem today... hopefully it's like one line I forgot to type.

Trenloe
July 13th, 2013, 22:48
I'm not able to see any of them, yet. In my new <AdventureDeckConfig/scripts/adventuredeckconfig.lua> should I delete all the other card entries except for the ones I put in there?
Only delete the items you don't want to have available to you. :)

In my PREFS section I can see the number of cards I added to the Adventure Deck; it gives me an option to include or exclude them; however, when I check the include box, I do not see any cards. Trying to track down my problem today... hopefully it's like one line I forgot to type.
Have you done everything described on page 12 of the document?

Created the images and saved them in the extension?
Registered the images in graphics.xml - again, all within the extension? The paths to the graphics files themselves are relative to the extension root directory.
Made sure the cardname used in the configuration file matches the that used in graphics.xml?

sakmerlin37
July 13th, 2013, 23:12
It's weird, I can deal the cards I created and see them when I do; however, I cannot see them as a module nor can I see them in the list in the library.

sakmerlin37
July 13th, 2013, 23:15
@Trenloe

Yeah, I did the graphics.xml file within the newly created <AdventureDeckConfig> folder. And every card name matches across the board. Just got through checking them.

EDIT: I receive an error message within FGII:

"Could not open sheet data from unloaded module 'Suzerain Adventure Deck' "

I looked at the mods section but it was not available for me to load/unload, and thus, isn't showing in the library.

sakmerlin37
July 13th, 2013, 23:35
In my <SuzerainAdventureDeck.mod> file, I have:

<images> folder, holds all images defined in files below
client.xml
common.xml (exact copy of client.xml>
definition.xml
thumbnail.png

My images are named: <aggressivetelesma.jpg> and similar (all lowercase letters) and image size is 465x650.

My client/common.xml files were copied verbatim from the instructions and the adventure deck mod (with changes to my own names, name of card set, etc.).

The definition.xml is fairly straightforward.

Not sure why the module isn't loading :(

I can get the extension part of it to work; the images can be dragged from the tool/Adventure Deck to the chat window or to a character, no problem; however, when trying to load the full-size images from the module, I receive the above error.

Trenloe
July 14th, 2013, 00:13
Please post definition.xml from your SuzerainAdventureDeck.mod file.

sakmerlin37
July 14th, 2013, 00:16
One card is refusing to show when being dealt

Here's its entry in <adventuredeckconfig.lua>:

["luckyshot"] = { name = "Lucky Shot", effect = "Play this card and spend one Karma after making a successful attack roll to automatically Incapacitate the target.", image = "refimage.cards.luckyshot@Suzerain Adventure Deck" },

in <graphics.xml>:

<icon name="luckyshot" file ="graphics/cards/luckyshot.jpg" />
<icon name="luckyshot-drag" file="graphics/cards/luckyshot_drag.jpg" />

Not sure why this one card out of 63 is not showing; everything else is working fine.

Oh, the name of the files in <graphics/cards/> directory:

graphics/cards/luckyshot.jpg
graphics/cards/luckyshot_drag.jpg

Trenloe
July 14th, 2013, 00:16
Also - double check that you have not zipped up the directory to create your mod file - that is, do not select just the directory name where all the module files are when when you zip. Go into the directory, select all the files (CTRL-A) and then zip the files up within the directory, then rename the .zip to .mod. If you zip just the directory you will end up with a directory within the .zip and FG will not recognise this.

sakmerlin37
July 14th, 2013, 00:17
Please post definition.xml from your SuzerainAdventureDeck.mod file.

Thank you Trenloe, here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>Suzerain Adventure Deck</name>
<author>Savage Mojo</author>
<ruleset>SavageWorlds</ruleset>
</root>

Trenloe
July 14th, 2013, 00:19
<icon name="luckyshot" file ="graphics/cards/luckyshot.jpg" />

Is that space between file and = causing the issue?

Trenloe
July 14th, 2013, 00:25
Thank you Trenloe, here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>Suzerain Adventure Deck</name>
<author>Savage Mojo</author>
<ruleset>SavageWorlds</ruleset>
</root>

That looks fine - see my post above (#17) about how to zip the module, that is the only other thing I could think it is.

Another way to check is within Fantasy Grounds type /console in the chat window. This will bring up the console window that reports errors. Leave it open and then type /reload in the chat window. If FG is having a problem with the module file it may indicate this in the console window.

sakmerlin37
July 14th, 2013, 00:26
Also - double check that you have not zipped up the directory to create your mod file - that is, do not select just the directory name where all the module files are when when you zip. Go into the directory, select all the files (CTRL-A) and then zip the files up within the directory, then rename the .zip to .mod. If you zip just the directory you will end up with a directory within the .zip and FG will not recognise this.

My reaction to this was similar to Stewie's from the Family Guy show when he was traveling through parallel universes with Brian: "Oh...my...god...."

I am able to see it now & everything works perfectly.

Thanks, once again, Trenloe :).

Trenloe
July 14th, 2013, 00:32
My reaction to this was similar to Stewie's from the Family Guy show when he was traveling through parallel universes with Brian: "Oh...my...god...."

I am able to see it now & everything works perfectly.

Thanks, once again, Trenloe :).
No worries, that is a common gotcha.

Did removing the space fix lucky shot?

sakmerlin37
July 14th, 2013, 00:33
Well, almost everything. It's odd, now the card "Lucky Shot" works and "Major Flub" does not. I haven't changed anything inside those files :/

sakmerlin37
July 14th, 2013, 01:16
Is that space between file and = causing the issue?

That fixed it :)