PDA

View Full Version : Coming back after 2 years

crazz2323
May 22nd, 2013, 02:48
It's been almost 2 years since I had the opportunity to pick up D&D 4E again and I have forgotten almost everything about FG2 and the D&D4E rules!

In my retraining process, I have looked at documentation on the FG2 website and noticed some of the info is out of date. For example, I am trying to remember all the options for both client and player so that I can set things the way I want them to work and I can't find what some of the options do such as the Item: Identification option under the GAME (GM) section. Another example under Combat (GM) is View: Wound Categories. Yet another example is all the options under the House Rules (GM) such as Attack: Fumble/Crit Tables.

Unfortunately, when i put my mouse pointer over the options there are no tool tips describing what the option does, so is there a current guide to all the options in FG2 for both player and GM?

crazz2323
May 23rd, 2013, 00:23
Well, I did find this video series which has more up to date information, so that helps but it would be nice if the official site was updated... unless I was just missing something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3KQV_1Y_w

Never mind, that still only explains some of the pre 2.9 options... I still am not sure what Item: Identification option under the GAME (GM) section does exactly. Does that allow for unidentified items or something?

Invictys
May 24th, 2013, 17:58
I had the same frustrations when I recently started using FG2. Unfortunately the program has a steep learning curve that is made somewhat steeper because of the lack of up to date documentation.

I learned more from the user made tutorial videos from Keith Hershey and Matt Colville than from the actual documentation.

That said, once you get over the learning curve it's amazingly simple to use. =)

crazz2323
May 24th, 2013, 21:46
Agreed! This is a fantastic program. I do hope, by the time this gets on Steam, that they update the documentation. I really want to see this program continue to do well and I hate for them to lose customers due to poor documentation.

To be honest, when I was researching what virtual table top to try, the documentation and how "easy" it looked to use was a big factor. The now old videos (current at the time when I was looking) is what helped hook me. That and the actual dice.

So, I hope for their sake, they make the bait as easy to bite as possible so they hook more fish so to speak! It's just smart business.

Laconiclament
May 25th, 2013, 06:48
I had the same frustrations when I recently started using FG2. Unfortunately the program has a steep learning curve that is made somewhat steeper because of the lack of up to date documentation...

...That said, once you get over the learning curve it's amazingly simple to use. =)

I, too, will second this.

I first joined this community and began using FG2 (not that long ago now), the information was scattered over so many places that it was just as overwhelming as not having any information at all. It became easier for me to simply ask what I knew was a redundant question via a new thread. Understandably, it didn't take long until people started to go tired of my questions and refer me back to "looking it up". Now, don't get me wrong, there's been a lot of GREAT help to be had by the FG2 community...but I could tell my welcome was beginning to strain.

Had I been a less committed person, though, FG2 may very well have lost my business due to how unappealing the introduction experience was. I never intended to say anything, as I have nothing but positive thoughts for the few folks I've encountered around here; but seeing as the topic has been raised...for the sake of the powers that being seeing so unfiltered feedback...I figured I'd chime in.

crazz2323
May 26th, 2013, 03:40
Well, I definitely have nothing bad to say about this great program and the very helpful community here either! I am only speaking up in hopes that this great program continues to grow and earn more business. I put my vote in on Steam, its a great opportunity. I just hope its a well documented opportunity :) I thank all the people who put together videos on YouTube helping me beat the learning curve. It was nice to come back to some HD videos.

elydustin
May 29th, 2013, 05:42
I find myself in the same boat. I haven't played in a couple years and I never got into the 4e, having played mostly 3.5e for so long. But I would like to get into a game for beginners.