PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question 1 - Use as GM *ONLY*?

SWHayes
May 19th, 2013, 01:52
Is it possible to use Fantasy Grounds only as a GM, for ease of management, and have everyone else on paper with real dice? I'm running my 11 year old son and his friends through some Warhammer 1st edition scenarios, and getting 6 computers in the same room just ain't gonna happen. Some of the boys have a machine, some use a family machine, almost no one has a laptop. :cry:

Thanks-

SW Hayes

Griogre
May 19th, 2013, 08:34
You could do it the way you asked. You can also just have one machine connect to the host and have all the player's share that machine as well.

Another option is to connect a second screen to the GM's machine start a second instance of FG and connect to the server and show the player's map on the second monitor. This might be the easiest if you want the player's to roll manually but not have to map manually.

SWHayes
May 20th, 2013, 06:38
Thanks - very useful information, and the second monitor would be a snap. We have a nice big TV I regularly connect to....

Xorn
October 1st, 2013, 16:34
I ran a game at the game shop once where there as an audience (for a D&D Game Day) and I had a projector hooked up to the laptop. The players at the table were all using the map and dice around the table, and I was using the DM client on the laptop screen for a combat tracker and my own module entries. On the projector I had a localhost player client connected so that everyone watching could see the player combat tracker and map that was on the table. It was pretty cool seeing a 20 feet wide screen on there. I know one guy said he was going to get FG2 just for the combat tracker at his table.

(Even playing face-to-face, I typically use my laptop for the combat tracker at a minimum.)