PDA

View Full Version : Starsiege Question

S Ferguson
May 10th, 2013, 04:11
Has anyone tried Starsiege yet? Apparently it met quite good reviews. I'd be curious to find out more about it from someone who's actually picked up and read or played the system itself.

Cheers
SF

S Ferguson
May 13th, 2013, 18:11
This actually is a good buy for C&C fans. If you can get by the "tweaks" in the system, it provides a wealth of information on the SIEGE engine, how to modify it, and most importantly what the reasons for modifying it are. The alien generator works great for converting your favorite races (SyFy or otherwise), and there are invaluable rules for expanding the scale table, up to superluminal distances (great if there are elder gods in your campaign, spying on mere mortals), and reducing the rolls made to a single d20 if you like hard and fast play.

On the downside, most of it's faults lie in the fact that it's a stand-alone game that references it's parent too much. I suspect this was done to ease C&C fans into SF gaming. The "tweaking" done, such as the renaming of stats (not even expanding their respective traits) would seem to dissuade the C&C buyer from the game. Rules are provided to make the game play more like C&C, but that's what we all bought C&C for!

The system itself is settingless, assuming the SIEGE Engineer (read CK) can and will put a setting behind it. Despite that, it includes a setting anyway, Victory: 2442. This included setting the weakest part of the game, ia standard SF staple of humanity expanding towards the stars and being fragmented by interstellar wars, a la Babylon 5, Starship Troopers or Star Wars. It's schlock, but there is enough "building" material in the "systemless" game to replicate any SF milleau. right down to the phasers and lightsabers and replicants we all love and enjoy.

It's a shame that more time wasn't spent on the background, but all in all, despite it's flaws, still has enough to interest the C&C gamer in background rules and an in depth analysis of the SIEGE engine, and modifying it to suit your particular gaming needs. (I for one am dying to try the single d20 mechanics in one of my C&C games).

damned
May 13th, 2013, 23:20
i liked the look of this one too:
https://www.trolllord.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=211
bit of pulp fiction / steamppunk role playing with Siege mechanics and a few more appropriate classes...

S Ferguson
May 13th, 2013, 23:28
i liked the look of this one too:
https://www.trolllord.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=211
bit of pulp fiction / steamppunk role playing with Siege mechanics and a few more appropriate classes...

Yeah, I'm still reading that one over. It hasn't got the flair that SotC has, but for the SIEGE engine and steampunk, it seems to fit the bill. not that you can't accomplish the same in StarSIEGE: Event Horizon. Just fiddle with the tech levels. You're right about the classes though.

Cheers,
SF