PDA

View Full Version : RotRL conversion for FGII

Nalvenin
May 9th, 2013, 15:24
Hello, I want to convert my Rise of the Runelords modules to FGII, any 'easy' way to do this? Are there PF tutorials that show how? I know the creature, trap stuff will be the most difficult. TIA

Mark of Stark
May 9th, 2013, 15:49
I am in the process of writing up Burnt Offerings right now. If there is an easy way to do it (easier than manually entering info) I haven't found it, I am just entering everything by hand. I followed alot of the 'creating a module' advice in the downloads section, just any of the campaign creation type stuff and from reading threads in the forums.

Trenloe
May 9th, 2013, 16:06
Using the creature parser will significantly decrease the amount of time it takes to get NPC data from the PDF into Fantasy Grounds: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475

Are you using the original (3.5e) RotRL or the Anniversary Edition (Pathfinder)? The creature parser is specifically for Pathfinder statblocks, not 3.5e.

If using the Anniversary edition, Paizo decided to change the statblock presentation at the beginning of the NPC statblock. This breaks the creature parser (which is written based on the published Paizo statblock standard), but can be easily fixed with a bit of manual manipulation with the first few lines of each statblock. Even with this extra editing you'll save lots of time.

For example, simply copying from the Anniversary PDF and pasting into a text file, the start of a statblock will appear as:

GOBLIN WARCHANTER XP
CR
1/2
HP
Goblin bard 1 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 156)
NE Small humanoid (goblinoid)
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5

This is not the correct format for the parser, it needs to look like this:

GOBLIN WARCHANTER CR 1/2
XP 200
Goblin bard 1 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 156)
NE Small humanoid (goblinoid)
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5

Basically, remove the HP entry at the beginning of the statblock and make sure the first 2 lines are:

<NPC/Creature Name> <CR>
XP XXXX
Then the usual statblock follows.

Give it a go and let me know if you have any questions/issues.

Mark of Stark
May 9th, 2013, 16:22
Nice, thanks Trenloe. I downloaded the parser a week or so ago but I havent gotten into it yet. So far just worked on images, maps and items. I have both the original that I bought (just the BO part) and then I picked up the anniversary edition, which is what I am using now. You might have just saved me from some trouble.

Trenloe
May 9th, 2013, 16:27
You might have just saved me from some trouble.
No worries - glad to help.

Also, NPC statblocks are covered by the Open Gaming Licence (OGL) - so you can share NPC only modules you create with other people. There sounds like there are at least 2 people working on these modules so the NPC conversion work could be shared...

You can't share maps, images, story entries, etc. (basically all the other stuff you'll enter in FG) as these are product identity and not covered by the OGL.

Nalvenin
May 9th, 2013, 16:33
No worries - glad to help.

Also, NPC statblocks are covered by the Open Gaming Licence (OGL) - so you can share NPC only modules you create with other people. There sounds like there are at least 2 people working on these modules so the NPC conversion work could be shared...

You can't share maps, images, story entries, etc. (basically all the other stuff you'll enter in FG) as these are product identity and not covered by the OGL.

I want to thank you also. Will work on this over the weekend. :)

Nalvenin
May 9th, 2013, 16:34
I am in the process of writing up Burnt Offerings right now. If there is an easy way to do it (easier than manually entering info) I haven't found it, I am just entering everything by hand. I followed alot of the 'creating a module' advice in the downloads section, just any of the campaign creation type stuff and from reading threads in the forums.

Mark, maybe I can work on the next set of NPCs and we can exchange... let me know. :)

Mark of Stark
May 9th, 2013, 16:50
Sounds like a good idea. But to be fair this is my first campaign I am putting together so its all fairly new to me. I am hoping to have it done soon but I can't promise anything sicne I am kinda fumbling my way through and learning as I go.

Nalvenin
May 9th, 2013, 17:09
Sounds like a good idea. But to be fair this is my first campaign I am putting together so its all fairly new to me. I am hoping to have it done soon but I can't promise anything sicne I am kinda fumbling my way through and learning as I go.

I can work on the Skinsaw Murders NPCs... :)

Callum
May 9th, 2013, 20:14
I'm also planning on starting a Pathfinder RotR campaign soon, so I'd be very happy to contribute to (and benefit from) this project.

Gwaihir Scout
May 9th, 2013, 22:46
I'm currently on Hook Mountain Massacre, and while I'm willing to let you have my NPCs, they're almost all adjusted for more players (extra wealth and max HP, plus the mastermind behind the goblins has the fiendish template). It would still be a simple adjustment at that point to make it match the book.

Gwaihir Scout
May 10th, 2013, 02:02
OK, here they are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3jljz4flxhhw9ue/1Vv_DTWUTz

Some things to note:
As I said, these have all been adjusted for my group with the unique NPCs having max HP, more wealth, and a couple of big fights have templates or different class levels (the goblin leader and His Lordship). Shouldn't be hard to fix.

Spellcasters have used spells, so they won't show up unless you unlock them for editing and uncheck the used spells.

I stopped adding traps and haunts to the NPCs after Burnt Offerings, sticking them in a room's story section instead and pinning them to the proper rooms on the maps.

I'll add the rest to the folder as I finish each chapter.

Nalvenin
May 14th, 2013, 17:33
OK, here they are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3jljz4flxhhw9ue/1Vv_DTWUTz

Some things to note:
As I said, these have all been adjusted for my group with the unique NPCs having max HP, more wealth, and a couple of big fights have templates or different class levels (the goblin leader and His Lordship). Shouldn't be hard to fix.

Spellcasters have used spells, so they won't show up unless you unlock them for editing and uncheck the used spells.

I stopped adding traps and haunts to the NPCs after Burnt Offerings, sticking them in a room's story section instead and pinning them to the proper rooms on the maps.

I'll add the rest to the folder as I finish each chapter.

Wow.. Thank you very much for these!

Callum
June 20th, 2013, 21:00
I've made a module, using Trenloe's parser, with the NPCs from Burnt Offerings in.

Mark of Stark
June 21st, 2013, 00:25
Nice job, I handmade crap versions and I've been trying to use the parser but I am still super newb at creating stuff on here I was all over the place.

wigwam
October 8th, 2013, 00:19
Seems like I'm always late to the party. I've had FG for ages but only just started playing PFRPG as a GM. Now I need a portable campaign-manager-ruleset-reference-guidebook-aid utility. My tiny brain forgot about FG II - until tonight! And here we are with *loads* of PFRPG resources and Rise ... as well. Many thanks to those who have labored over these. My life is so much simpler now!

Callum
March 25th, 2014, 10:44
Here's an updated NPCs module for Burnt Offerings. Note that this only has the NPCs up to the Glassworks, but I've adjusted them by hand to make them nicer to use. The module I posted earlier in this thread has all the NPCs from Burnt Offerings, but straight out of the parser.

Bidmaron
March 26th, 2014, 00:04
Thanks, Callum!

Trashkicker
March 27th, 2014, 03:56
I have all 6 converted already, but i'm not sure of the sharing policy on this. I'm more then willing to share but I don't know if I can...

Trenloe
March 27th, 2014, 04:05
I have all 6 converted already, but i'm not sure of the sharing policy on this. I'm more then willing to share but I don't know if I can...
If it is just OGL content you are sharing then you are OK - essentially the NPC statblocks are OGL so you can share those.

You can't legally share images/maps, story text and other copyright material.

Trashkicker
March 27th, 2014, 04:15
If it is just OGL content you are sharing then you are OK - essentially the NPC statblocks are OGL so you can share those.

You can't legally share images/maps, story text and other copyright material.

bummer, I have everything in it already:cry:

on a side, if you download the mod d20pfsrd.com Creatures and NPCs from the mod section and go to the NPC area, I believe it has everyone in it already mostly built out from these adventures. You should check that out before you have to manually enter in everyone (like I had to do). although you will have to build out their spells and special abilities.

JohnD
March 27th, 2014, 04:32
Export just the NPCs into a module.

Trenloe
March 27th, 2014, 05:14
you should check that out before you have to manually enter in everyone (like I had to do). although you will have to build out their spells and special abilities.
Or you could use the creature parser which now handles spells: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version

Trashkicker
March 27th, 2014, 05:55
Or you could use the creature parser which now handles spells: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version

I'll be honesty I still haven't used this, i keep meaning too, but I already completed my current campaign before this came out. Also, I think i did RotRL about 2 or 3 years back...anyway i was able to export my npc's and encounters from them (i would of included items and parcels but they were all jacked up from the conversion to version 3 would of probably not helped much). I haven't looked at these for a while, and i'm sure they will need to be combed through, but I Hope this helps.