PDA

View Full Version : Criticals vs undead

graphil
May 8th, 2013, 23:52
v3.5e

Currently FG2 is auto rolling a critical and if confirmed auto switches to crit damage. However it also does this for things like undead which can't be criticalled. Is there a way to stop players from doing a crit against creatures that can't be?

Trenloe
May 9th, 2013, 00:38
I can't think of a way to do this in the current ruleset without modification of the code. The effect "Undead Traits" only makes the target immune to nonlethal damage.

The Undead Traits code in manager_action_damage.lua in the getDamageAdjust function could have an option added to not apply critical damage - or perhaps it will be better to move this to the modDamage function in the "-- IS CRITICAL?" section and set bCritical = false if the target has the "Undead Traits" effect.

lachancery
May 9th, 2013, 01:45
Trenloe's is the permanent and best solution. In the mean time, which may have been what you were asking about, a player can toggle off the automatic crit by rolling another dice before rolling damage. I usually tell my player to just make any skill roll. When they roll for damage afterwards, the crit effect will not be used.

jedorian
May 9th, 2013, 02:28
I've been playing Pathfinder for awhile now and still refer to the 3.5 rules for constructs/undead and other non-living or amorphous things. Like lachancery says, just have them roll the attack again (and again if necessary should they roll a crit) to undo it. Its simple and takes little effort, apart from the occasional bitching about not being able to crit an unliving being.

On a side note, although I don't allow for critical hits on undead, I do allow called shot (situation depending) for dealing with certain varieties. Head shots for Zombies, heart for vampire (if the correct material is present), and so on.