PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious...

Ienai
May 8th, 2013, 07:49
I'm having a very difficult time finding players to join my games and finding games for myself to join. I love Fantasy Grounds II and want to use it but there doesn't seem to be a big enough player base.

So... Is there some new location I do not know of where everyone is congregating? I feel like I am missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Ienai

Doswelk
May 8th, 2013, 11:19
Hello

First thing you should update your settings to show your time-zome helps people at a glance to spot that you're in a favourable zone to them.

What game systems are you wanting to play?

The Guild pages on here lists games and are also a place to find games.

When I needed to recruit some new players I just posted in the Savage Worlds forum (the system I want to play).

At the end of this month FG Virtual Con 2013 will be running a weekend long con with games running 24 hours a day.

Ienai
May 8th, 2013, 12:10
I have a post up in the Guild Hall.. tons of people have looked at it or 2-3 people have looked at it multiple times heh...

Updated my TimeZone. I thought I put my available times to play in the post.. I'll check that now.

damned
May 8th, 2013, 12:44
It can sometimes take to get a game going - just like in real life. i would look outside this forum also - use sites like enworld, penandpapergamers and your favourite games website too. most players who use FG belong in one or two stable gaming groups and arent looking for new games/gamers all that often.
if you are hosting a game and not getting much response maybe try a different adventure/storyline and see if that gets more interest.

Ienai
May 8th, 2013, 12:56
Will do. Thank you for the advice.

damned
May 8th, 2013, 13:00
my current group of players are 100% from meetup.com
other recent players were from penandpapergamers and from here
i have actually met 4 of my players (past and present) at local cons or at meetup gatherings since :)

Trenloe
May 8th, 2013, 13:30
i have actually met 4 of my players (past and present) at local cons or at meetup gatherings since :)
But once 2 of your first players met you face-to-face they ran away to a different continent! ;)

Ienai
May 8th, 2013, 13:40
I suppose I just find it very surprising that not very many people seem to use FGII. It is a really cool platform imho.

Well.. the hunt continues.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Ienai

damned
May 8th, 2013, 13:41
But once 2 of your first players met you face-to-face they ran away to a different continent! ;)

two? are you keeping something from me?

Trenloe
May 8th, 2013, 13:50
two? are you keeping something from me?
Nah... they ran away separately.

JohnD
May 8th, 2013, 14:12
I suppose I just find it very surprising that not very many people seem to use FGII. It is a really cool platform imho.

Well.. the hunt continues.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Ienai
You're making a bad assumption here. A huge number of people use it.

If a campaign isn't looking to add players, they won't necessarily be looking for posts like yours... or won't respond because there's no reason/need to.

Personally I run two regular campaigns (13 different players) and one infrequent campaign (7 different players).

Like in real life, if you post an ad at your gaming store saying you're looking to join a game, you will probably have to wait for a bit before you get a response.

Blahness98
May 8th, 2013, 16:57
Just be a touch patient.. I was looking for players for my game a few weeks ago. It took about two weeks to get some responses and then there was a small flood. Hope you are able to get some more players.

bennis1980
June 3rd, 2013, 09:40
Most of my players are from existing FG stock, so I wouldn't give up yet.

I think people might be put off by the non regular nature of the game (ie game times depending on your ability and desire). If you said they will be on every X weeks, on Y day and at Z time and stick to that you might get better results.

I actually like the setting that you've described, but I had to read through the houserules first, which I probably would have given up if it weren't for reading this post and then going back to the Guild hall is search of your game. I like to hear about the setting straight away - what am I going to be playing and will I like it.

The last barrier to entry is: mods. You are competing with the whole pathfinder society there. Yes I realise it's a different ruleset, but one of the appeals of PFS is the idea of bringing your character along to a once off session (an idea which personally doesn't appeal to me, but has proven to be extremely popular)

That's just my opinion. Try to sell yourself a bit better and look at what games are getting a good response. I wish you the best of luck gathering your players.