PDA

View Full Version : 4E D&D Player recruitment (Living Campaign)

Ienai
May 4th, 2013, 23:34
Hi everyone,

I have tried many times to get a game running here. It is usually my schedule changing or something coming up that has prevented me from starting them. So, I've decided to start a living campaign of sorts. Here is how it will work..

The Rules

1. Game times will vary depending on my ability/desire to run a game.

2. Mods will be one session long and will have a maximum of three hours of game time. They will have an additional fifteen minutes pre-game and post-game for questions.

3. Mods will be run multiple times, if there are enough interested players. You can only ever play a mod once. Be honest and don't ruin it for others by coming in with an alt account and a different character please.

4. Players will answer a small questionnaire at the end. These questions will relate to how the game was run, how I can improve, rules disputes, and decisions that will affect the game world politically, socially, etc..

5. Games will be played on Fantasy Grounds II and all players must have at least the Lite version of the software. All RP will be typed. This allows for players to use their imagination a bit more in terms of voices of the party and npcs as well as gives players a bit more time to think about their responses.

6. I can add more rules at any time I feel the need to.

Book allowances: Any with approval. Something to keep in mind is that if you choose to play something strange be prepared for certain difficulties...

Setting: This will be a classical, Lord of the Rings-type, fantasy setting. Adventure, fame and gold await anyone brave enough to put one foot in front of the other and reach for it. The hub of the setting will take place in adventuring guilds throughout the city of Seaside. So there will be games that involve only the city, games that are on the sea, and games that are dungeon crawling. The nations are currently at peace.

Nations

Seaside: A massive city on the west coast of Gelna. The city itself spans several miles and even further if you count the farmlands. It is run by a council of wealthy merchants who monitor it's needs. The city is run fairly with profits and stability in mind. It occupies and guards the Wall of Sorrow separating Earantor from Gelna and thus has been provided security from invasion by the nations surrounding it.

Deities: Avandra(Major), Bahamut(Minor), Ioun(Minor),
Flag: A stack of gold coins over a sword

Jelnar: The religious state of Jelnar worships Pelor. They have taken the word of Pelor to an extreme and have long ago destroyed the noble cast in the land. It is a nation run by the church that feels that everyone should work to make it the best place to live. They have done well for themselves and the majority of the people of this land are happy. By no means is anyone overly wealthy, but they all have enough to live peacefully and with shelter and food. Adventurers from this nation are expected to donate as much as possible of their earnings abroad or within the nation. Foreigners inside the nation are not allowed to practice their religions unless they are diplomats and afforded permission as a courtesy. But they must do it in private rooms built specifically for this. The land is mostly rolling plans but they have access to the Abyss Mountain range to their east. The Nation is located south of Seaside.

Deities: Pelor (Major)
Flag: The sun of Pelor surrounded by hand prints, fingers point out from the sun.

Hagreth: The Dwarven nation of Hagreth has undergone massive changes since the last great war. Their cities having be plundered and destroyed they have been forced to rebuild. Most dwarfs live a life of the gypsy now and do not have a home to call their own. They had offered to use their cities as the first line of defense against the aggressors from the east, they were not easily overrun but slowly and surely their homes were laid to ruin while the other nations prepared the last line of defense. The Dwarven people as a whole are not bitter about this, they mostly feel that he sacrifice of their homelands was a fair trade for the survival of their species and the other nations. Everyone living in Gelna still show Dwarves the respect they deserve for their service and sacrifice. Often they are given free room and board. Though this is also due to the Dwarven race slowly but surely dying out. There is one small refuge for the majority of what is left of the Dwarves, it is called GrukHarr and lies in the Abyss mountain ranges to the northeast of the Wall of Sorrow. Should there be a need to defend the wall, the Dwarves will be ready.

Deities: Moradin(Major), Kord(Minor), Ioun(Minor), Bahamut(Minor)
Flag: A large mountain split in two by a hammer

Delanior: The last elven kingdom known to exist publicly. The elves and slowly and surely been leaving the world and moving into the Feywild. However, the land of Delanior is still heavily populated with elves. It rest in the northwest corner of Gelna and is relatively small compared to most lands. Though it may be small, it has the strongest military force in Gelna and one of the few nations to still have soldiers alive that took part in the last Great War. Their focus of recent days has turned to art of any type and peace. Their outgoing trade has died down and Elvish goods have begun to rise in price yearly. The lands of Delanior are mostly forested, however one of the largest mines in Gelna is located at the heart of Delanior. It is from this mine that it is believed that the elves get their precious star metal.

Deities: Kord(Major), Corellon(Major), Ioun(Minor),
Flag: A single star surrounded by dark blue

Keleeb: The great desert nation of the north. It is a nation of hardened men and women of many races, though it is populated mostly by the Dragonborn. The elite of the society are magic users of any kind and they are only surpassed by Dragonborn magic users. The cities of this massive nation are sustained by the magic users and it has thrived off the trade of glass. Using the regions greatest resource, desert sand, it has turned the nation into a powerhouse of wealth. The glass produced by this nation can be a free formed as liquid and as hard as steel. Molded by expert glass weavers and infused with magics thought to have been lost to the ages. Having the largest standing army also ensures the protection of their powerful leaders in their ivory towers. The nations gem is the "City of Ivory". Purchased from and built by the ancient dwarves of old, it is thought that the city was built upon an ancient oasis given to the people by the gods at their time of need. The city has stood the test of time and rivals the beauty created by the elves. It is also used a vacation spot for the majority of the wealthy elite.

Deities: Avandra(Major), Bahamut(Major), Corellon(Major), Sehanine(Minor)
Flag: A gauntleted fist of sand

Felleaf: Is the oddest of all the nations. A nation created by Halflings just over a hundred years ago. The nation was created using the swamps to the southwest of Seaside and with hard work and dedication the Halflings have turned the swamplands into a habitable zone of great curiosity and beauty. The nation is controlled by several guilds that helped rebuild the land and is relatively peaceful. It specializes in the harvesting and exporting of foods.

Deities: Erathis(Major), Avandra(Major), Pelor(Major), Melora(Minor)
Flag: An apple tree ready to be harvested

*There are countless towns that worships various deities, this campaign is only using the deities from the PHBI. The deities listed under each nation are just the religions that are worshipped by the majority.*

*Other races not mentioned are integrated into the societies as the books say they are. For example, Tieflings are still mistrusted and publicly hated.*

So, here is the start.

Character creation

1. You can use one of these three arrays for your stats and assign them as you want.
a. 16, 14, 14, 11, 10, 10
b. 18, 14, 11, 10, 10, 8
c. 16, 16, 12, 11, 11, 8
d. OR, 20 Point Buy

2. Start at level 1. All characters will obviously need approval.

3. No Themes or Background abilities.

4. 100g to start with

5. Please write at least the following
a. Brief description or provide a picture of your charater
b. Brief timeline of your character's past, significant events, etc...
c. Brief, one page max, explanation of your characters goals and desires
d. List of possible NPCs and their relations to your character

If I need to add anything I will add it to this post with *** date *** in front of it and post that an update has been made.

Please only respond in this topic and not by PM. Someone else might have the same questions you have and it would be really nice to not have to answer them more than once.

**NOTE** In order to play you will have to own a copy of, at least, FGII Lite until I decide that I want to fork out the extra $80 on upgrading my license.

**UPDATE 5/8/13** My available times are Sunday-Monday 10pmPST-3amPST, Tuesday-Thursday 2:30pmPST-6:30pmPST. Friday and Saturday things get a little tighter because it is the weekend so I'd rather not DM on those days.

Ienai
May 8th, 2013, 10:31
**Still looking for players** Any comments on why I have 60+ views and not a single player wanting to play would be good to...

^_^

Trenloe
May 8th, 2013, 13:34
**Still looking for players** Any comments on why I have 60+ views and not a single player wanting to play would be good to...

^_^
Perhaps post an actual game session on the gamecalendar - with the times of the session and give a few days notice (possibly 1-2 weeks). Then people can see there is actually a game being run at a specific time and if they're available they can get involved. It also gives you time to prepare if there is interest...

JohnD
May 8th, 2013, 14:33
Trenloe's advice is sound.

If, however, your game doesn't take off, please have the courtesy to back into the Game Calendar and remove the listing... as you can see it is full of abandoned games from years ago. This clutter makes FG look less active than it really is and also makes it hard for new people to find a current/active game to join.

Some advice - you may be overwhelming readers with your mass of information. Many will have seen similar starts which don't get past the point of a first post. Getting your game into the calendar and linking to it will help. I don't know what the user base for 4e is like here, but I get the impression that 3.5 and Pathfinder have more players, so that may also be against you.

Ienai
May 9th, 2013, 02:43
Thanks for the advice. I'll get it all up as soon as I can.