PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage Worlds

Debinani
April 30th, 2013, 01:16
Hey guys - my group expressed an interest in Deadlands, so I was taking a look at Savage Worlds and the ruleset.
Does the ruleset and Deadlands expansions pretty much cover the rules of the game? Are there any compromises due to the ruleset not supporting certain affectations of the core rules?
I'm just trying to decide if I'm going to take the plunge and purchase the books and FG assets - really don't want to end up disappointed or having to do a lot of ruleset hacking to make things work. :)

Thanks for any opinions!

phantomwhale
April 30th, 2013, 05:57
I have an opinion... but it's extraordinarily biased...

I took over onwership of the Savage Worlds ruleset 3 years ago after submitting a few bugfixes. My reason for doing this (aside from the challenge) is that I was moving to the other side of the planet and wanted to carry on my Deadlands:Reloaded game with my former face-to-face group back home.

I'd already written a few Deadlands extras, and really wanted to make a polished product, so by taking on the Savage Worlds ruleset, I was able to add plenty of extra hooks and extension points in the Savage Worlds rules to nicely add in all the extra features of the Deadlands extension.

So fast-forward to today, and I've published three updates to the Savage Worlds ruleset (fourth one due in a few months) and I've both created and updated twice the Deadlands extension. All the time I've been gaming with my group and slowly adding extra functionality and graphics, with the assistance of some core FGII Savage Worlds players and contributors.

The Deadlands ruleset has an Arcane Type functionality, that supports all five arcane types of Deadlands. It has a card table for duels, dealing with the devil and gambling. It supports the different types of fate chip instead of bennies. It has a great set of graphics, thanks in part to contributions from Doswelk. And, of course, it has all the books fully written up for use in Fantasy Grounds, including full creature stats with linked abilities, drag-and-drop weapons, skills, edges, hindrances and powers.

So I hope it all adds up to a seemless experience - no ruleset hacking needed ! Certainly the main reason I did it (initially, at least) was for ME - I wanted my online game to be as good as possible, as my other players are NOT super keen roleplayers or even very technical people - they are just really good friends I stayed in touch with though gaming, so I spent quite some months making something that would hopefully add to, rather than detract from the experience.

So yeah. It's thumbs up from me :D

Mgrancey
April 30th, 2013, 07:15
The Marshal's guide and Players guide are both entirely accurate to the rules and match the books. The S & R catalog has everything from the PDFs in it as well.

The Flood plot point campaign should be done very soon and made available through the store if you are interested, so far its been going fairly well.

I have a couple of other modules planned to work on before I head back to Savage Worlds stuff, I can't do any LUA programming right now, so any rules effects I can't do, but I'll probably start on Last Sons once I start working on SW stuff.

Doswelk
April 30th, 2013, 10:14
OOH are you converting the Flood?

Hmm right time to Deadlands again after I finish Necropolis!

In the meantime I must finish converting Hell on Earth

Mgrancey
April 30th, 2013, 13:17
yeah, I was running it and by the point I was done inputting it, since no one else had it done or was working on it I figured might as well clean it up and finish it off and turn it in.

Debinani
April 30th, 2013, 15:33
Sounds like a great bunch of dedicated contributors. Thanks!

S Ferguson
May 8th, 2013, 03:43
Sounds like a great bunch of dedicated contributors. Thanks!

We're only here to please.:D

Mgrancey
May 12th, 2013, 06:48
The Flood is submitted to Smiteworks, finally. I was so tired of looking at it I had to take a break from it. There was alot of work to fix it up for public consumption as what I did for myself wasn't what up to public standards.

S Ferguson
May 12th, 2013, 16:25
Yeah, it does give you that <<phew>> feeling when it's done. Kind of rewarding in a way.

Cheers,
SF