PDA

View Full Version : Arena/Gladiator non-standard game

Gertak
April 29th, 2013, 17:52
We've had the thought thrown around a bit in some of my games, and with some of my fellow players and DMs, so I was wondering if there is any interest in a few arena style games, a bit different from the norm.

There are three main game types I am considering, they are detailed below:

1. Players vs GM
This is fairly similar to a normal game in that it is a group of 2-6 players against some enemies chosen by the GM. The players will create characters at levels decided by the GM but will probably use level 7 as a starting point. The players will just fight the enemies to the end and then fight further opponents if so desired. There would be no commitment to an ongoing campaign, these would just be done as one-off games. This would just be for the fun of all involved and a chance for me to try out some varoius enemies and see how their power level really compares to players of a given level. If there is sufficient interest multiple GMs would make this more fun and open to players.

There could be different levels for players and no exp will be awarded and there will be no advancement path. Gold would be done as standard for a character of the appropriate level. Some alternate rules may be tried from time to time, such as armor as DR but that would also depend on player interest.

Maps would not always be the same, some would change based on opponents (such as aquatic opponents). Lighting will be dynamic and not the same in every game.

2. Players vs Players
This would be done as two groups of players, probably 4 on each side to keep it fairly quick, fighting against each other. In all other regards it would be the same as the above. I would like to point out about this game, Pathfinder (and D&D as a whole) is NOT balanced around player verses player so some characters will be considerably stronger than others. Do not expect any character you want to play to be just as good as every other character.

These maps would also change sometimes but not to play to any one characters playstyle. The maps would be pretty large allowing for opportunities to fight at range. Lighting will also be dynamic and the whole area will not be bright sunlight.

3. Player vs Player 2v2v2v2v2
This would be done as five groups of 2 fighting against each other. This one will be the most complex to coordinate and will probably be done in a mix of text and chat so people can keep secrets from each other. Keep in mind you may not all see each other at any given point in time so there will be times fights are going on even while your team is traveling around out of combat.

There are some special rules for this game:
Each team is wearing a ring (does not count against one of your magic item slots for purposes of this game) that splits all damage taken between the two. So if player A gets hit for 20 points, he takes 10 and his partner takes 10.

Each player can concentrate for 1 round and see the same as his partner sees, from any distance on the map. He cannot cast spells or use abilities through his partner, just see what is going on around him.

Each player has their own gold and items/money cannot be shared between the two.

Winner is any team with at least 1 person left standing at the end.

------------------------------------

Anyone who is interested go ahead and reply to this post with your interest and which of the games you would be interested in trying. I will welcome spectators who want to become more familiar with Fantasy Grounds or Pathfinder as well and am willing to host sessions for new players or people wanting to test the game out for the first time. I do have an ultimate license.

If this has been posted before, or there is an ongoing game using We've had the thought thrown around a bit in some of my games, and with some of my fellow players and DMs, so I was wondering if there is any interest in a few arena style games, a bit different from the norm.

There are three main game types I am considering, they are detailed below:

1. Players vs GM
This is fairly similar to a normal game in that it is a group of 2-6 players against some enemies chosen by the GM. The players will create characters at levels decided by the GM but will probably use level 7 as a starting point. The players will just fight the enemies to the end and then fight further opponents if so desired. There would be no commitment to an ongoing campaign, these would just be done as one-off games. This would just be for the fun of all involved and a chance for me to try out some varoius enemies and see how their power level really compares to players of a given level. If there is sufficient interest multiple GMs would make this more fun and open to players.

There could be different levels for players and no exp will be awarded and there will be no advancement path. Gold would be done as standard for a character of the appropriate level. Some alternate rules may be tried from time to time, such as armor as DR but that would also depend on player interest.

Maps would not always be the same, some would change based on opponents (such as aquatic opponents). Lighting will be dynamic and not the same in every game.

2. Players vs Players
This would be done as two groups of players, probably 4 on each side to keep it fairly quick, fighting against each other. In all other regards it would be the same as the above. I would like to point on about this game, Pathfinder (and D&D as a whole) is NOT balanced around player verses player so some people will be considerably stronger than others. Do not expect any character you want to play to be just as good as every other character.

These maps would also change sometimes but not to play to any one characters playstyle. The maps would be pretty large allowing for opportunities to fight at range. Lighting will also be dynamic and the whole area will not be bright sunlight.

3. Player vs Player 2v2v2v2v2
This would be done as five groups of 2 fighting against each other. This one will be the most complex to coordinate and will probably be done in a mix of text and chat so people can keep secrets from each other. Keep in mind you may not all see each other at any given point in time so there will be times fights are going on even while your team is traveling around out of combat.

There are some special rules for this game:
Each team is wearing a ring (does not count against one of your magic item slots for purposes of this game) that splits all damage taken between the two. So if player A gets hit for 20 points, he takes 10 and his partner takes 10.

Each player can concentrate for 1 round and see the same as his partner sees, from any distance on the map. He cannot cast spells or use abilities through his partner, just see what is going on around him.

Each player has their own gold and items/money cannot be shared between the two., I apologise. I did a quick look but not an indepth search.

Malkavian_Andi
April 29th, 2013, 21:42
Sounds like a fun way to fill an eventless evening. And to try out new concepts, too.

It reminds me a bit of something a friend of mine once introduced to our home campaign (and which then became a constant reappearance in our games). It was a crazy high-level mage who had sold his soul to Olidammara, the god of rogues and trickery. In doing this, he got his own demiplane where he constantly hosts a game show with all the classic elements of such a show (like a trivia quiz or sports activities).

Anyway, as long as I have time, I'd love to play that kind of game from time to time. I'm open to all three options (#3 reminds me a little bit of The Hunger Games). I wouldn't want the armor as DR variant rule, as it reminds me too much of one German ruleset I don't like too much ^^
But anything else would surely be fun.

Mgrancey
April 29th, 2013, 23:21
Hmm, if you haven't heard about it look up X-crawl. Its amusing and in line with at least part of your idea.

Macgreine
April 30th, 2013, 05:44
Hey Gertak,
This sounds like a lot of fun. I would be willing to play depending on the day and time. Since its easy to put together and run you may consider running it on Roll 20. Its free to play and you will have a lot more interest for one shots. Let me know and I will roll up a character.
Mac

Malkavian_Andi
April 30th, 2013, 11:25
On roll20, I might be willing to GM some pit fight from time to time, too. That just depends on how many good ideas I have.