PDA

View Full Version : Slow hindrance issue with SW for FG

daddystabz
April 27th, 2013, 19:51
I am running the War of the Dead epic zombie horror campaign currently over FG and the zombies each have the Slow hindrance. This hindrance means they cannot run and they cannot receive a card that is over 5 in the initiative order. I have no way to model this really in the software. I have been trying to do it manually but it just is VERY cumbersome and I have to click repeatedly trying to get a result less than 5.

Do any of you have a suggestion of how to model this better please?

Thanks!

longarms
April 27th, 2013, 21:05
He is pointing out a hinderence that is the EXACT opposite of quick. That is, quick is draw again until you get a card over 5. Slow is draw again until you get a card that is NOT over 5.

I know that quick is implemented automatically, and since slow is the opposite, it seems like the code would be there to do slow.

Anyone?

Ikael
April 27th, 2013, 21:13
Someone has done that once, or at least its similar. All you need to do is to implement initiative handler for it. I can try to look if I have the implementation somewhere or Maybe I can do my own.

Mask_of_winter
April 27th, 2013, 23:22
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124592&postcount=6

phantomwhale
April 28th, 2013, 08:27
Thanks for the link guys - from memory you have to make Slow an EDGE for it to work correctly ? I say that, as I note we opened it up to check edges AND HINDRANCES in the SW 3.4 changelog, so presume it doesn't YET check hindrances in the current version (3.3) ?

That said, download the extension and suck it and see. Half-tempted to put support for "Slow" into the main ruleset, but then this means it will work that way for EVERY game, so always reluctant in case a different version of Slow is ever defined somewhere...

Doswelk
April 28th, 2013, 08:30
If that slow extension does not work I wrote one for WWII/TOD/Necropolis you can have.

@PW yes you made the change after we had a discussion about slow :)

Mask_of_winter
April 28th, 2013, 14:23
I'm using it and it works fine in the current version of the ruleset. Hope it stays the same in future rulesets.

You have to type SLOW in the special abilities of the NPC.

Hope this helps.

Mask_of_winter
April 28th, 2013, 14:23
I'm using it and it works fine in the current version of the ruleset. Hope it stays the same in future rulesets.

You have to type SLOW in the special abilities of the NPC.

Hope this helps.

S Ferguson
April 28th, 2013, 19:34
@PW I'm running a game under the current ruleset and yes, slow does have to be put in the Edges column in order to work. I'll try downloading and checking this "patch" out.

Cheers
SF

Ikael
April 28th, 2013, 20:15
Thanks for the link guys - from memory you have to make Slow an EDGE for it to work correctly ? I say that, as I note we opened it up to check edges AND HINDRANCES in the SW 3.4 changelog, so presume it doesn't YET check hindrances in the current version (3.3) ?

That said, download the extension and suck it and see. Half-tempted to put support for "Slow" into the main ruleset, but then this means it will work that way for EVERY game, so always reluctant in case a different version of Slow is ever defined somewhere...

in v3.3 Hindrance has to be put into Edges list if they are wanted to be checked in combat tracker. This bug has been fixed in the v3.4 development version

daddystabz
April 29th, 2013, 20:58
So if I put SLOW in the edges column of all the zombies and load that downloadable extension, it should work correctly, right? I see no place for edges on NPC character sheets. It just has the 'Special' area.

S Ferguson
April 29th, 2013, 21:07
Nope you just drag and drop the hindrance into the Edges column.

daddystabz
April 29th, 2013, 21:08
You mean into the 'Special' area on the NPC sheet? There is no area for Edges for the NPC sheets. I do not see the SLOW Hindrance in the SW Deluxe player's guide in the library.

Ikael
April 29th, 2013, 21:21
Npc sheet doesn't have edges so just create one in special as you were doing. SWD doesn't have that hindrance, but can manually create it there, just name entry to SLOW. Alternatively if for some reason you want to create that hindrance to your library you can use Enhanced Library extension to do that.

daddystabz
April 29th, 2013, 21:25
If I have any text after SLOW will it mess it up? Currently it says SLOW: and then the text of what SLOW does.

I created an entry just labled SLOW but unfortunately the zombies are still getting results higher than 5. I also made sure I had the extension enabled. No idea why it still won't work for me.

daddystabz
April 29th, 2013, 21:34
Can I try yours? Mine doesn't seem to be working.

If that slow extension does not work I wrote one for WWII/TOD/Necropolis you can have.

@PW yes you made the change after we had a discussion about slow :)

daddystabz
April 29th, 2013, 21:37
UPDATE: I got it working now! I moved my other special abilities down some lines and made sure the top line under 'Special' just says SLOW. This did the trick.

Thanks all!

phantomwhale
April 29th, 2013, 22:52
Should work for all Special Abilities and Edges (so yeah, the "it doesn't work as a hindrance" issue only affects you if your PLAYER CHARACTERS have the Slow edge... which for War of the Dead means you've got a zombie in your group :)

The text DOES need to be exactly "slow" (case-insensitive). There is a description line that appears below each NPC special ability line - you can store further details there, if desired.

A "drag-and-drop" Slow hindrance isn't in the SW rulebook as it has been invented for War of the Dead (and a couple of other settings).

S Ferguson
May 6th, 2013, 02:46
We players with the Slow Hindrance, have to be heard though! It's one big pain in the buttocks to have Slow in the edges column. Someone come up with a patch to tie us lowest card players over! Otherwise there will be a new war...:)

Glad I got that out of my system,
SF

Doswelk
May 6th, 2013, 09:56
We players with the Slow Hindrance, have to be heard though! It's one big pain in the buttocks to have Slow in the edges column. Someone come up with a patch to tie us lowest card players over! Otherwise there will be a new war...:)

Glad I got that out of my system,
SF
As we will be play-testing 3.4 on Tuesday you will see your slow hindrance where it belongs (and working) :)

S Ferguson
May 6th, 2013, 17:21
Whooo-Hoooo!

scionofnyarlathotep
May 6th, 2013, 22:27
As we will be play-testing 3.4 on Tuesday you will see your slow hindrance where it belongs (and working) :)

We will? Scott's w00t seconded!