PDA

View Full Version : : free (and legal) supplement with AD&D-convertable content

dr_venture
April 24th, 2013, 06:44
The Crusader's Companion (sorry - it got cut out of the title).

Here's an example of something that the classic D&D gamer might find useful: the Crusader's Companion is a free supplement distributed by Troll Lord Games. It's meant for for C&C, but I bet there is stuff in there that AD&D gamers might find useful. It can be found here:

https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/crusaderscompanion.pdf

The content is mostly optional character classes (you would need to choose what attack table they use, but is a very similar format to AD&D), optional monsters (many are from the original AD&D MM, but there are some that the AD&D player might find interesting), optional character/NPC races, random name tables, optional equipment, optional spells, GMing tips and techniques, and some treasure items.

There is certainly quite a bit of C&C-specific info that isn't applicable for conversion, there's still a fair bit worth checking out.

And hey... it's free!

damned
April 24th, 2013, 14:41
thanks doc.

Answulf
April 24th, 2013, 19:38
Good grief, that's quite a body of work!

When you said free suplement I was picturing like maybe 8 pages of stuff... awesome, thanks!

dr_venture
April 24th, 2013, 21:53
Yeah - I probably should have mentioned that it's 311 pages long. Heck of a freebie, from the publisher, no less! One thing C&C player may miss (I did) was the lack of some of the classic AD&D monsters from the original MM - the Crusader's Companion supplied some of those, but obviously classic D&D players won't need that info. There's still a lot there to look through and re-purpose for one's own ends.

I'm curious if there are other such freebies out there for other game systems - something I can convert for my needs :D I hope folks will post them if they find them. Also Ansbach: are you a C&C or AD&D player? If you're the latter, how's the material look for converting to AD&D? I would think pretty straight forward, no?

Answulf
April 25th, 2013, 00:44
AD&D is the edition I have played the most and enjoyed the most. I bought the C&C ruleset (pdf and FG) about a year ago, but never really got around to playing it until the past few weeks. We love it - it's like playing AD&D with some of the wonky bits improved. They are so close to being the same game that I think supplements like this work well for either almost seemlessly. What I've been most excited about with C&C is breaking out all the old AD&D stuff that has been collecting dust...