PDA

View Full Version : AD&D Classic Modules

leozelig
April 24th, 2013, 01:15
I have run several of the classic AD&D modules (1st edition). If anyone has any questions about running these, let me know. I use voice chat, so I do not create story entries typically, but I have accumulated quite a few NPCs, maps, and handouts.

Here are the modules I have run so far:

N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
T1 The Village of Hommlett
A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity
A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
I3 Pharaoh
I4 Oasis of the White Palm
I5 Lost Tomb of Martek
S2 White Plume Mountain (in progress)
S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (planning to run next)

Depending on party level, we might jump into the giants series (G1-3) after S4. If anyone wants to join us, we usually have room for one or two more players. These modules were often written for large parties.

Leo

sehmerus
April 24th, 2013, 01:40
When do you guys play? i might be interested. but i am interested in the mod files, as I am planning to run the ones you have listed.

damned
April 24th, 2013, 14:45
hmmmm i was thinking of running the Giants series into my current C&C campaign...
after that I was going to run them into the Red Hand of Doom...

leozelig
April 25th, 2013, 04:51
Just to clarify, I use the OSRIC ruleset for my games, so the db.xml file that includes the NPC info would only be useful for that ruleset.

Also, I made my own maps using GIMP because I despise editing out numbered rooms, pits, secret doors, etc from the published version. My maps are fairly minimalist, nothing like the level of detail on a Campaign Cartographer or Dundjinni map. The scale is typically 50 pixels / 10 feet, but I don't really use the FG grid.

leozelig
April 25th, 2013, 04:54
Double post - stupid interwebz.

leozelig
April 25th, 2013, 04:54
Popular thread! Or just my triple post.

opusaug
April 26th, 2013, 01:54
I think your mouse finger was just extra twitchy from missing a session, leo. :p

Answulf
April 26th, 2013, 03:11
My players want to go through the old classics, but they know them so well I'm thinking about changing them up a little - like say The Sinister Secret of Restenford... ;)

S Ferguson
April 28th, 2013, 19:17
My players want to go through the old classics, but they know them so well I'm thinking about changing them up a little - like say The Sinister Secret of Restenford... ;)

Oooh, I liked that one. It was followed by Danger in Devonshire wasn't it.;)

GunnarGreybeard
April 28th, 2013, 22:50
My players want to go through the old classics, but they know them so well I'm thinking about changing them up a little - like say The Sinister Secret of Restenford... ;) Those modules have been around so long most D&D players have probably run through each of them at l east once. Whenever I run them these days I almost have to redo most things to keep them guessing.

leozelig
April 29th, 2013, 22:40
We have definitely had situations where some players know the "secret" and have to pretend they do not, which is difficult. But they are still fun to play, and there is plenty that we have forgotten. Some have higher replay value than others though. I own a lot of them that I never had the opportunity to play with a group, so that was the motivation for my game. :)

S Ferguson
April 29th, 2013, 22:43
We have definitely had situations where some players know the "secret" and have to pretend they do not, which is difficult. But they are still fun to play, and there is plenty that we have forgotten. Some have higher replay value than others though. I own a lot of them that I never had the opportunity to play with a group, so that was the motivation for my game. :)

The Tomb of Horrors is *not* one with a high replay value. :D

Andraax
July 28th, 2013, 15:21
I'd be interested in copies of all of these (I own all of them, multiple copies of each actually). Have you turned them into modules, or are they straight campaign folders?

leozelig
July 30th, 2013, 02:30
They are campaign folders. I do not believe the OSRIC ruleset recognizes the /export command to create .mod files. I can PM you the links to download.

S Ferguson
July 31st, 2013, 14:20
They are campaign folders. I do not believe the OSRIC ruleset recognizes the /export command to create .mod files. I can PM you the links to download.
For future reference, OSRIC does support the export function. As usual it's /export.

leozelig
August 1st, 2013, 05:54
I don't know where I got that idea about /export. Thanks!

S Ferguson
August 1st, 2013, 16:03
Don't sweat it. I have a hard time keeping up with all the various rulesets, myself.

leozelig
August 13th, 2013, 12:04
I just exported a .mod with my 1st edition monsters. I don't have all of them on there, but it sure is nice to have them in module form!

S Ferguson
August 14th, 2013, 17:43
If you had all of them I would start to worry! That's a hunk of monsters there.

Cheers,
SF

modnar
September 17th, 2015, 12:09
I would love to get my hands on that, how can I do so?

damned
September 17th, 2015, 12:30
I would love to get my hands on that, how can I do so?

You cant. You cant share copyright material.

leozelig
September 18th, 2015, 01:10
These were prepped for the OSRIC ruleset, so all of those monsters are useless now anyway.

ted.wallerstedt
May 7th, 2016, 14:14
hmmmm i was thinking of running the Giants series into my current C&C campaign...
after that I was going to run them into the Red Hand of Doom...

That would be awesome.

dmkevin
May 7th, 2016, 16:20
I have all the hard copies of those 1st ed. modules listed save for "I5 Lost Tomb of Martek".

How well is 1st ed run on the osric toolset? I would love to make those into working FG modules.

damned
May 8th, 2016, 05:29
That would be awesome.

ted.wallerstedt you are so bad.
we finished The Red Hand Of Doom a year ago!

damned
May 8th, 2016, 05:31
I have all the hard copies of those 1st ed. modules listed save for "I5 Lost Tomb of Martek".

How well is 1st ed run on the osric toolset? I would love to make those into working FG modules.

OSRIC should work very well for 1e adventures.
As does Castles&Crusades. We played a couple of classic AD&D adventures and then the Red Hand of Doom (3.5e adventure) using C&C.

dmkevin
May 8th, 2016, 08:05
I will check those both out.

Thanks Damned!

damned
May 8th, 2016, 08:53
The big Advantage with C&C is it has all the class and spells and equipment and monsters included for only $10.
It pretty much includes the Players Handbook and the Monsters&Treasure books in their entirety.
It doesnt have all the funkiness of 5e (spell effect parsing and character drag and drop for levelling, bbut neither does any other ruleset) but is still a very robust ruleset.
Excellent value and old school feel.

leozelig
May 8th, 2016, 13:18
OSRIC worked great for 1e, but I haven't used it since FG was updated to v3. Entering the monsters didn't take too long.

JohnD
May 8th, 2016, 14:44
You can't go wrong with C&C for value for the money or for the excellent ruleset. I am admittedly biased as it is my favourite.

Mortar
May 8th, 2016, 15:23
ted.wallerstedt you are so bad.
we finished The Red Hand Of Doom a year ago!

Maybe that's a hint for you to run it again :P

damned
May 8th, 2016, 23:39
Maybe that's a hint for you to run it again :P

Ted was in the group :)
We are now playing HotDQ on 5e.

dmkevin
May 10th, 2016, 23:14
You guys convinced me. I've just purchased the Castle & Crusades ruleset. It looks really well put together. I'll have to spend some time figuring it out now.

Thanks,

dmkevin

yeknom
May 11th, 2016, 06:10
You guys convinced me. I've just purchased the Castle & Crusades ruleset. It looks really well put together. I'll have to spend some time figuring it out now.

Thanks,

dmkevin

Castles and Crusades is really great for that old AD&D/AD&D 2e feel, you can add in the weapon and non-weapon prof's if you choose easily enough, or you can modify them to fit in with the Siege system or not use them at all. I'd love to get some free time to run a C&C ToEE, or Night Below or some other older epic boxed set/modules.

JohnD
May 11th, 2016, 15:18

Thanks,

dmkevin

If you need any pointers, PM me or post in the C&C forum.

rob2e
May 12th, 2016, 03:02
Are your FG mods converted to 5e or are they still 1e?

damned
May 12th, 2016, 05:26
Are your FG mods converted to 5e or are they still 1e?

If you are referring to the ones I ran - they are not complete conversions. The amount of content varies from session to session based on prep time (or lack of). I also scaled encounters to suit how I wanted the game to run. These were all for Castles&Crusades.

dudeslife
July 27th, 2016, 13:44
Is there a repository for old school modules that have been FG'd?

damned
July 27th, 2016, 13:45
Is there a repository for old school modules that have been FG'd?

These are still covered by copyright and cannot be shared.

dudeslife
July 27th, 2016, 13:50
These are still covered by copyright and cannot be shared.

I guess the more accurate question would be a is there a repository for 5e FG conversion notes, etc for old school modules or a guide?

damned
July 27th, 2016, 14:23
I guess the more accurate question would be a is there a repository for 5e FG conversion notes, etc for old school modules or a guide?

I ran mine for Castles&Crusades which is very close to 1e in character progression and ability so for the goodman games adventures I just swapped them like for like straight from the C&C Monsters&Treasure book
For the Red Hand of Doom I still used like for like monsters - I had to create a few from the back of the book - but I did have to do some scaling - there is a fair amount of sandbox in that module so the players can visit things in different orders and I discarded strict XP based progression and leveled the party up as they hit certain milestones...
There are quite a few websites that do some very strict calculations on monster conversions - Im not that strict...

For 5e with casters having decent cantrips and everyone able to do more healing I think you would be buffing these encounters up a bit... If I havent got the scaling right for a major encounter I will reduce the HP of a couple of monsters or if its too easy I will have reinforcements arrive a couple of rounds in and the players are all exposed and vulnerable to being ambushed...

JohnD
July 27th, 2016, 14:51
I am certain that there are a few conversion documents out there online. As far as I can tell, these are just one person's opinion on what is appropriate... in this case, why not just use your own opinion (I say that realizing it can be difficult in the beginning stages until you figure out your balance).

For C&C I've always just converted straight from source material to it 1:1 and never had a problem (well, the players may have had a problem but that's completely different).

leozelig
July 28th, 2016, 00:38
This is very helpful:

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DnD_Conversions_1.0.pdf

I ran these as published (first edition rules) using the OSRIC ruleset, which is looking very dated now but worked great. I didn't really put much into FG to run these - maps and npcs mainly.

dmkevin
August 10th, 2016, 22:29
As I stated before I have the hard copies of most of the old 1st ed. modules. I have been working on creating a FG story entry for 1st ed. AD&D's A1 - Secret of the Slaver's Stockade to be used with the Castles & Crusades ruleset. Looking at how much time this is taking however, i cannot help wondering would it not be far easier to only enter into the FG story/module the text required to be read to players that normally drops into the chat box, to link the maps, create the encounters and place the C&C versions of the monsters within, and just use the hardcopy module to read and keep to hand while running the session. I would have thought it should make no difference to your players. Has anyone any experience of this who could advise if this is just as good or whether I am missing something by doing it this way?

Trenloe
August 10th, 2016, 22:50
Looking at how much time this is taking however, i cannot help wondering would it not be far easier to only enter into the FG story/module the text required to be read to players that normally drops into the chat box, to link the maps, create the encounters and place the C&C versions of the monsters within, and just use the hardcopy module to read and keep to hand while running the session. I would have thought it should make no difference to your players. Has anyone any experience of this who could advise if this is just as good or whether I am missing something by doing it this way?
This is absolutely the way to go. Setup the base stuff you need in FG: stories, maps, handouts to share. Then the stuff you need for FG automation: NPCs, Encounters, Items and Treasure parcels, Quests, etc..

damned
August 10th, 2016, 23:41
You may even omit the story entries if you are taking too long on it. You are reading those to the players - you can read them from any source.

dmkevin
August 11th, 2016, 00:01
Thanks very much Trenloe and Damned,

I am much relieved in going forward after both of your very helpful replies.

jshauber
August 11th, 2016, 05:10
I sold off all my hard copies of 1st edition stuff years ago (Kick in the ARSE again). I have been getting everything again in PDF form and being able to cut/paste into FG makes entering all the story stuff really easy.

Might be worth scanning your books in and seeing if that speeds things up a bit.

Andraax
August 11th, 2016, 16:27
Might be worth scanning your books in and seeing if that speeds things up a bit.

If you do that, make sure you use scanning software with OCR. If not, you'll just get images of each page and will not be able to select / copy text.