PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Die rolls -- non GM

Hoolix
April 22nd, 2013, 16:26
I am playing a Rogue and as is my role I enjoy the occasional Pick Pocket. Well we are only about 3 or 4 play sessions into our campaign and one of the guys has only been playing for 2 of these sessions. (Great job by the GM of writing him into story) But he is a Paladin that was a guard at the prinson that the rest of us have been released from. Well I rolled a 19 with a +9 bonus to Thievery so obviously a success. He walks up to me and says I don't think we need to be doing that around here; thus my obvious response was do what? You didn't see anything; so then the GM had him roll a perception check which he didn't get.

So my question is is there a way as a player that I can hide my roll from my party and only show the GM?

JohnD
April 22nd, 2013, 16:35
Send a whisper to your DM - type it in the chat box and drag to the Tower in the bottom right corner. Then make your roll for Thievery by dragging the die from your skill to the Tower as well.

The DM will see the roll and the result and put 2+2 together and probably send you a whisper back as to the results. The other players (and you) will see a shadow die rolling, but no numbers/outcome or what the roll was about.

As an aside, inter-party stealing is generally frowned upon, and certainly the Paladin is well within his rights to challenge you on that activity unless he wants to loose his status (even if you're stealing from some poor anonymous slob on the street).

Hoolix
April 22nd, 2013, 16:38
Thank you for the quick response, though I will have to look to see what Tower you are talking about.

I wasn't thieving from the party; it was a passerby on the street. I would probably last about a round with our party in a fight.

Insanity
April 22nd, 2013, 17:07
Both the 3.5 and 4E D&D rulesets have a dice tower option, which is something the DM has to select. If the DM does, then a dice tower image appears in the lower right of your screen. If you drop dice into it, while everyone can see shadows of dice being rolled, only the DM knows the results.

This way any dice rolls that should be left unknown to the players can be rolled.

Hoolix
April 22nd, 2013, 17:09
Wow. The speed that this community replies with answers is awesome. Thanks again guys.

Malkavian_Andi
April 22nd, 2013, 17:45
the Paladin is well within his rights to challenge you on that activity unless he wants to loose his status (even if you're stealing from some poor anonymous slob on the street).And that's why paladins should never put any ranks in Perception or Sense Motive. :p Working with a rogue is a lot easier if you just don't notice what he's doing :D

JohnD
April 22nd, 2013, 19:10
And that's why paladins should never put any ranks in Perception or Sense Motive. :p Working with a rogue is a lot easier if you just don't notice what he's doing :D
Ah so it's like marriage in other words. :p