PDA

View Full Version : Howto: Coding effect vs full attack

lachancery
April 21st, 2013, 05:16
I'm not sure if there is a way to do this with effects:

When a paladin use Smite Evil, he gets a bonus to AC vs attacks from his Smite target. Setting the AC boost effect with a duration of a single action works well - the PC toggles it just before being attacked. This way, the AC boost isn't present when other creatures attack the paladin.

This method breaks down when the smite target has multiple attacks in a full attack. The AC boost is only used against the first attack.

Is there a smart way of dealing with this that I am not seeing (other than of course resolving it "manually").

Moon Wizard
April 21st, 2013, 06:31
The GM can "target" the effect to only apply when that creature is involved. There is a targeting button to the right side of each effect in the GM combat tracker when you expand the details of the effect list. Click the targeting entity list on the effect to remove the effect targeting.

Cheers,
JPG

lachancery
May 2nd, 2013, 19:39
The GM can "target" the effect to only apply when that creature is involved. There is a targeting button to the right side of each effect in the GM combat tracker when you expand the details of the effect list. Click the targeting entity list on the effect to remove the effect targeting.

Ah, yes, I hadn't noticed that; it works wonderfully for Smite Evil!

On the same topic, Smite Evil bypasses all types of damage reduction. I tested implementing this by using DMGTYPE, listing every type, but that didn't work. It displayed all the damage types in the chat window, but it didn't bypass damage reduction when applying in the combat tracker. I'm not sure if I messed up the syntax...?

Is that the right way of coding a "bypass all DR"?

Also, I don't think there is a tag to refer to caster level (CL), like for the stats, right? The damage for SmiteEvil is based on the Paladin's level, so it has to be hardcoded and modified each level?

Malkavian_Andi
May 2nd, 2013, 19:47
As far as I know, you'll have to recode it manually everytime you level up.

As for bypassing DR, in one campaign I play in, we just used "DMGTYPE force". Although Smite Evil isn't a force effect, force damage does bypass DR (it's energy damage after all), so that's a way to trick the code into doing what you want.

lachancery
May 3rd, 2013, 02:44
Smart work-around. Thanks!