PDA

View Full Version : the sweep edge and movement

longarms
April 20th, 2013, 22:54
There is a post in the official Q&A on how the core rules work where Clint's explanation of how the sweep edge blew my mind.

He pointed out that the basic rules of the game is that actions are resolved simultaneously (not sequentially), which is a point that I recall. However, when you apply this basic understanding of the rules to the sweep edge, it turns out that you:
- make a single fighting roll on your turn.
- apply that result to the parry of everyone who you move adjacent to on your turn. Dominos come to mind.

If I play the edge this way, I am going to have a new respect for monsters with the sweep edge or the improved sweep edge. PCs are going to want to keep their distance! I suppose that someone will need to get a "stop", e.g. survive the hit and then use their free attack from a monster leaving melee combat to shake the monster. Or be clever about holding their action and winning the opposed agility roll to interrupt, or something.

Has anyone played sweep correctly? If so, can you give your comments because I and everyone I have ever played with have been doing it differently than the core rules imply...

Here is a citation for my comments:

https://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22430

phantomwhale
April 22nd, 2013, 07:39
OMG...

Consider my mind also blown.

That said, I'd also missed (a) it was a single attack roll, (b) it affects ALL adjacent characters (friend or foe), (c) it doesn't work with Reach (adjacent is not the same as "within attack range").

Like you say though, taking those free strikes to leave combat is not going to be something you can do lightly, unless you are a superior warrior, in which case you are probably cutting through hordes of mooks anyway, so the Sweep edge just got a little bit better, but maybe not hugely game changing.

That said, with my players starting up a Necessary Evil campaign this week, I'm thinking :- what if a hero got super speed (Pace 48), sweep and a high-parry - could be VERY lethal !

Would also love to hear from anyone who HAS played Sweep correctly, and how it seem to work in battle (regarding balance and practicality etc...)

zackspacks
April 22nd, 2013, 13:14
Well I have always played it with (a) and (b), never encountered it with (c) and would have had to check the rules. Regarding this simultaneous thing, I don't think I will be adopting that ethos though, as where do you draw the line? Forex is Ganging Up also supposed to be retrospectively applied?