PDA

View Full Version : Treasure, Party Sheet & Unidentified Items

Greygor
April 19th, 2013, 09:42
I love the idea of Treasure Parcels and the Party Sheet as a way of assigning items.

My only question is how to handle Unidentified Items.

IIRC when testing this out I created a Potion Item that was of course Unidentified. It appears on the sheet as an unidentified item, but if you then assign the unidentified item to a character they can then open it from their sheet and see what it is.

Please correct me if I'm misremembering this, I don't have access to my FG at the moment to double check.

Is this normal behaviour or have I set up the item wrong in FG?

Is their a preferred way for GM's to handle Unidentified items in FG.

gmkieran
April 19th, 2013, 14:18
When an unidentified item is shared the player can open it, but they see only a limited subset of information - whatever is contained in the basic description field, iirc. Only when the item is identified do they see the additional information provided in the bonuses and advanced description fields. I believe there is a lock setting on the item that the GM unlocks to edit it and then must re-lock before sharing the item.

Greygor
April 19th, 2013, 14:23
When an unidentified item is shared the player can open it, but they see only a limited subset of information - whatever is contained in the basic description field, iirc. Only when the item is identified do they see the additional information provided in the bonuses and advanced description fields. I believe there is a lock setting on the item that the GM unlocks to edit it and then must re-lock before sharing the item.

That does sound familiar, I need to fire up my copy and check again when I get home.

It might be a case of having to be careful what text to put where.

Of course if Items had some sort of alternative text field that showed when unidentified that'd be a cool feature.

e.g.

Lock text: Small Glass Bottle
Unlock Text: Potion of Giant Growth

gmkieran
April 19th, 2013, 15:55
Yep, that's pretty much what they have. :D

Greygor
April 19th, 2013, 15:57
Yep, that's pretty much what they have. :D

I suspected so, never post when you don't have the app nearby to check :)

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2013, 23:21
The Unidentified text field is labeled "Alt Name". If the item is unidentified, the players should only be able to see the "Alt Name" and "Notes" fields.

Regards,
JPG