PDA

View Full Version : Multiple damage resistance not working

graphil
April 17th, 2013, 23:01
v35e

If a monster has DR 5/bludgeoning and magic I'm seeing DR getting bypassed if the players weapon is type slashing,magic.
Is the syntax wrong or is this a bug?

Trenloe
April 17th, 2013, 23:24
I'm not seeing this at all. Here's an example, I added "DR5:bludgeoning and magic" to the Giant Ant, and the weapon has a damage type of slashing,magic - you can see the DR works:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/DR2Types.JPG

If I change the damage type to bludgeoning,magic it completely bypasses the DR. So, this appears to be working.

What syntax for the DR effect and damage type are you using? What effects do you see in the combat tracker - perhaps there is an efects parse issue when the creature is added to the combat tracker?

EDIT: I added the DR effect to the Giant Ant by adding "DR/5 bludgeoning and magic" to the SQ section of the creature before adding to the combat tracker.

graphil
April 17th, 2013, 23:45
Monster is DR 5/bludgeoning and magic under SQ.
Weapon is longbow with dmg type piercing, magic,cold.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2013, 00:01
What effect does this parse into in the combat tracker when the creature is added to the CT?

graphil
April 18th, 2013, 00:01
Update. If I dump the ,cold the DR works as expected so it looks like that is causing the issue.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2013, 00:07
Weapon is longbow with dmg type piercing, magic,cold.
Forget the parsing of the DR when adding the creature to the CT that's not the issue. The issue is that cold is an energy type and so bypasses DR: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#damageReduction

"The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones)"

graphil
April 18th, 2013, 22:11
I'm sure that is more in relation to a fireball spell or the like and not really meant to be to allow weapons to bypass all DR if a flame effect or similar is put on it.
The 1d6 extra element damage would get through but not the physical damage which would still be resisted.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2013, 22:28
I'm sure that is more in relation to a fireball spell or the like and not really meant to be to allow weapons to bypass all DR if a flame effect or similar is put on it.
The 1d6 extra element damage would get through but not the physical damage which would still be resisted.
Adding a damage type of "cold" to the weapon means all of that weapons damage is cold (as well as the other damage types), hence all of the damage gets past DR - because all of it is cold (an energy type).

If only a portion of the weapons damage is energy then don't list the energy type in the weapon's damage type, but add it as an effect: DMG:1d6 cold

spacce1889
April 20th, 2013, 05:44
How do you add an effect on a PC weapon?

JohnD
April 20th, 2013, 06:15
How do you add an effect on a PC weapon?
I think you'd actually add it to the character making the hit (like a Rogue adding Sneak Attack to themselves for that kind of a damage roll) and it would automatically be added in.

jedorian
April 24th, 2013, 02:09
The player can add the effect to their own character sheet:

Set the effect target to "Self", set the action to "Roll", add DMG: 1d6 cold (or whatever the type and dice are)

It will roll the added damage for that one attack and the effect will immediately expire, so if you're using various weapons, then you won't have that damage added to a weapon that doesn't possess it.

Blackfoot
April 27th, 2013, 21:59
I'm not sure it actually does the math right for all that even if you do it 'right' (with the self targeted effect) we had some pretty funky results when we were using it against complex monsters the other day.