PDA

View Full Version : Savage 007 conversion

daddystabz
April 17th, 2013, 05:43
Any SW GM interested in running some missions for the Savage 007 conversion for the James Bond 007 rpg? I would like to find a GM that would collaborate with me and allow me to play James Bond through ongoing missions. I never got to play the original rpg and this has been a dream of mine for ages. We could log the missions on a web page I will set up.

Anyone interested in this at all?

S Ferguson
April 17th, 2013, 21:50
I don't know. I have the original James Bond game. It's really "pulpy" enough for SW. There's a supplement out for Modern Ops, but most of the spy stuff has been overlooked as a whole. They're games that are hard to run as a group.

Cheers
SF

daddystabz
April 17th, 2013, 22:39
We wouldn't have to run it as a group. The Bond game was known for many people running it with just a GM and one player or sometimes 2 players working in tandem.

S Ferguson
April 18th, 2013, 00:54
So essentially, it would become a "Splinter Cell" game. That could be done. The plotting would take a bit of work, though, don't you think? The Original Bond Game was rather light on subplots (actually light on everything but it had an an excellent combat system and easy to resolve skill system - where you had skills - it was definitely not a build your own agent game like Top Secret), When I played "Splinter Cell" games using Spycraft they were much more dynamic - mind you, it was a major innovation in itself. SW would probably fit better with a "Mission Impossible" (as in impossible to get the rights to produce a game) type scenario, where a "Handler" (GM) manages the Cell made up of agents whose skills complement each other. It would also be a good way to handle drop-ins and outs. Hmmmm, now I'll have to look over my Spy Game collection.... (hey, it's the worlds second oldest profession)...

Cheers,
SF

Mask_of_winter
April 18th, 2013, 01:04
Have you consider using the Agents of Oblivion book? Sounds perfect for a spy game.

S Ferguson
April 18th, 2013, 01:07
Yes. tried it. Wasn't to fond of the way it was handled. Spycraft 1e was a far superior product (and easy to adapt to SW.

daddystabz
April 18th, 2013, 01:13
I HATED Spycraft 2e. A crunchy monstrosity. I heard some people prefer 1e and now I see they are working on a third edition for it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/343486/Savage%20Bond%20007%20-%20Operative%27s%20Handbook.pdf

What I wouldn't give to find a GM that would allow me to play as Bond himself.

S Ferguson
April 18th, 2013, 01:23
2e if you used all of the rules was a monstrosity - a living hell. I'm biased toward the 1e rules, but 2e was more modular. You could pick and choose what rules you wanted to use without "breaking" or disrupting the game. Hopefully, though, they go back to basics for 3e. But even 2e would be easy to convert to SW. Ditch the combat system, take the Archetypes and the "guts" of what they were trying to accomplish (it still had a good plot point/subplot system from 1e - and more information on the different roles agents played) and I think it might turn out snazzy. SW Spycraft - there's the 3e rules done.

S Ferguson
April 18th, 2013, 02:04
Mind you, now that I think of it, Top Secret was no walk in the park either (with one of the most intense combat sequences in history).

daddystabz
April 18th, 2013, 03:36
Top Secret S.I. was much better than the original though.

S Ferguson
April 18th, 2013, 03:38
True. I have to admit that.... Speaking of which I should give that an opening soon.:)

S Ferguson
April 18th, 2013, 22:05
Oooh. We could throw in the traditional Paranormal - SavageX - Files, here we go...:)