PDA

View Full Version : Targeting is broken, right?

Emrak
April 16th, 2013, 16:35
Just confirming that my players aren't idiots.

Using the PF ruleset, only one of them was able to target an NPC to attack using the standard "select a token" method. The rest had to actually drag their attack dice onto NPCs to attack. There weren't any errors, it just didn't work for them. Sometimes it would "work" (I.E., it was showing as selected in Combat Tracker) but when they'd roll to attack it didn't show as them attacking the NPC, it was just a standard non-specific attack roll.

Trenloe
April 16th, 2013, 19:49
It's not broken that I'm aware of...

Are you running any extensions? e.g. the enhanced images extension? There was a targeting issue with an earlier release of this, but it was fixed. Also, players can only target tokens on the top (play) layer with this extension.

Are you running the 2.9.2 "live" version of FG and not a test or dev version?

Also, if you're using tokens with transparency (i.e. not pog style) the player has to click on a part of the token image that is not transparent - hard to do with things like spiders!

Ksathra
April 16th, 2013, 20:11
I've always been able to click on a NPC and get the colored ring around the target, than roll and have it automatically compare to the creatures stats, however I've meet plenty of players that target the NPC's but it wont compare when they roll, they do have to drop dice on the tokens specifically. I'm not sure what the difference between them and I is.

gmkieran
April 16th, 2013, 21:28
Where you and they are choosing dice from may affect it. Clicking on dice under an attack in your CT entry with a token targeted will attack that token. Picking a die up from below the chat window and dropping it in the chat window to roll it will not. I believe that most fields containing attack/damage dice (ie character sheet combat tab, hotkeys (as long as they were created by dragging from the character sheet) and CT) will auto-target, but dice taken from a weapon description or straight from the playing surface won't. Might be something to check with your players, Emrak?

Cheers!
GMK

JohnD
April 17th, 2013, 01:17
How are your NPC and PC tokens getting onto the map? Are you pulling from the CT?

Ksathra
April 17th, 2013, 20:34
yeah in my case, the tokens are being dragged from the combat tracker, so they show up as valid targets to be attacked and both the other player and myself are using the actions tab, double clicking on the big 1 or 2 or 3 for attacking. It rolls the dice saying Attack greatsword but wont compare it to the AC of the creature. If we then take the result of that attack and drag it onto the token it compares though.

JohnD
April 17th, 2013, 22:11
Last game I accidentally removed a PC from the CT instead of removing an effect on him.

I re-added to the CT and the icon on the map showed green, so I thought it was still linked, but I could not target this icon by clicking on it until I deleted the existing icon and dragged a new one from the CT to the map.

Trenloe
April 17th, 2013, 22:27
yeah in my case, the tokens are being dragged from the combat tracker, so they show up as valid targets to be attacked and both the other player and myself are using the actions tab, double clicking on the big 1 or 2 or 3 for attacking. It rolls the dice saying Attack greatsword but wont compare it to the AC of the creature. If we then take the result of that attack and drag it onto the token it compares though.
When this happens it is worth asking the GM to check in the combat tracker (CT) to see if the targeting is registering there - it will have a line in the PC entry in the CT showing "Targets: XXXX" where XXXX is a creature name.

Here's an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Targeting.JPG

If attack rolls then don't register against the target we know there is definitely something up with the underlying action subsystem. If the "Targets: XXXX" doesn't show then it is an issue on the player side - perhaps a bug or perhaps user error not targeting correctly.