PDA

View Full Version : Translating skills

Hevok
April 13th, 2013, 00:17
Hi everybody,

I want to translate in french most of texts in this ruleset, especially the character page.
I managed to translate all the main, inventory and personal fields, by editing xml files in the rulesets/CallofCthulhu directory.
But I still can't change skills name.
I found the eramanager.lua file (in scripts directory), but changing it doesn't seem to change skills names.
Any idea please?
Thanks.

Markjan
April 13th, 2013, 13:02
Hello there,

Every answer you need could be there, en français dans le texte, ptigars !!!

:)

https://jdrvirtuel.com/index.php

Hevok
April 13th, 2013, 16:53
Merci mon gars Markjan,

Je me suis inscrit, ça a l'air très sympa.
Mais ça ne me donne pas ma réponse ;)

Hevok
April 13th, 2013, 20:05
J'ai effectivement vu l'adaptation faite par Chronomancien et lui ai demandé de me la faire parvenir par mail.
Merci pour le tuyau et bravo pour ton excellente vidéo (trouvée sur Youtube), tu me sembles être un parfait Gardien !

drvolk
April 14th, 2013, 09:33
I am working on a translation for the Pathfinder Ruleset (into german language). I wrote a script for that which extracts all strings from the XML files and lua files into a single ".po" file which is used in the "gettext" framework from the open source world to do localization of the software.
The same script then could be used to create a copy of the ruleset in which the texts were replaced by the translated text from the .po file.
So this scipt could be used to do localization also for other languages and maybe for other rulesets. I'm still working on that script and i will release it here in the forum when its finished.

Whithin this work i noticed that some localizable text is created dynamicly from lua code. For example the skill list in Pathfinder is defined as keywords in a hash datatyoe in a lua file called "scripts/data_common.lua".
You have to replace this "keywords" to localized texts also, if you want to have the skills displayed on the character sheet in a localized language. But you have to do it carefully because these keywords could be used within other lua-scripts and maybe these scripts would not work anymore if you replaced the text in the data_common.lua file ...

Maybe it is simular with Cthuhlu ruleset ?

Insanity
April 15th, 2013, 04:32
The skills for CoC are managed via scripts, and the list is within the 'eramanager.lua' file under the script folder.
I don't know why changing them there doesn't change the names.

Valarian
April 15th, 2013, 17:01
I'd suggest deconstructing one of the extensions and changing the skill list there. Create a French version of the extension. This is what I did for the Dark Ages extension.