PDA

View Full Version : A little help deciding which version

Rogad
April 12th, 2013, 13:03
Hi,

I'm looking to start playing CoC again after a long break. I don't know any local players to join so I thought I would try this.

Can I just ask a few questions...

If I buy the full license, does this software have to be installed on each persons PC ? And the notes said they connect for free, so there is no further expense as long as one of us has bought the Ultimate pack ?

Does the ultimate pack allow any of the players to become the GM and run the game from their PC ?

I'm aiming for a group of hopefully 4-5 people - does the Ultimate package seem the best way to buy ?

Many thanks :)

Valarian
April 12th, 2013, 13:11
The Ultimate license is useful only for a GM with a number of players who do not have licenses themselves (Unregistered). Otherwise, it acts as a full license. The Full version is the standard GM license, which allows players with an Ultimate, Full or Lite license to connect and play. The Lite license is for players who will not GM.

From your description, it sounds as if a bundle of Full and Lite licenses would probably be your best bet. You can club together as a group and then hand out the licenses. The licenses aren't transferable once installed, so the answer to your query with the Ultimate license allowing other GMs is no.

Rogad
April 12th, 2013, 13:31
OK great thanks, that answers my questions. I think I will see if their is much interest before I take the plunge then. Cheers :)

Valarian
April 12th, 2013, 13:55
For Call of Cthulhu, only the GM needs to have the ruleset. Players connect to the GMs computer to create characters etc.

Rogad
April 12th, 2013, 14:21
Oh I see. Thanks :) I think I might order the paper book so I have something to refer to when not in game.

Rogad
April 13th, 2013, 18:13
Back again, is it right that the GM enabled account is the only one that needs purchase an adventure module ?

And I was wondering if you can upgrade from a Lite to a Full version ? It doesn't mention that on the purchase page.

Cheers :)

Mgrancey
April 14th, 2013, 00:05
Yes so long as it isn't gm only you can share modules as GM, though keep in mind, that there will be a drain on your connection either when they login the first time as stuff is downloaded to or when updated to their pc one way or whenever they access a module in your library the other way.

Mixed with my limited upload I have this problem for my deadlines campaign.

Griogre
April 14th, 2013, 00:37
Back again, is it right that the GM enabled account is the only one that needs purchase an adventure module ?

This is true. For just an adventure there is little transfer to the clients other than maps/tokens and other graphics. A setting plus and adventure with common modules like a player's guide would have a lot more to transfer to the client.

And I was wondering if you can upgrade from a Lite to a Full version ? It doesn't mention that on the purchase page.

Lite versions can be upgraded to Full Versions. However it is a manual process and typically does take a few days for the devs to do it.

Rogad
April 14th, 2013, 15:43
Thank you both for clarifying things for me. I was trying to get some friends interested in playing but their imagination seems to have deserted them lol

I've found a group to play in hopefully, just waiting to hear back :)