PDA

View Full Version : Thaco Rules!

sehmerus
April 12th, 2013, 04:53
Yay i am first to post in the revamped "Classic D&D" forum. Here we will discuss the Fantasy grounds use of rulesets from OD&D, Basic D&D, 1st edition D&D, 2nd edition D&D. now that Wizards of the coast are re-printing core rulebooks, as well as releasing classic material via PDF!!

There is an ADND2e, rulset, A Labyrinth Lord Ruleset, Osric Ruleset.

Personally I been playing basic D&D (BECMI/RC) and we started to use Labyrinth Lord, but with all the optional rules that we like in RC (Rules Cyclopedia) we found that the AD&D 2e ruleset works best for us. (we have some issues with not having saving throws match up and some minor things but we work through them) LL was our first try but disliked that it did not share the combat tracker with the players (only the DM could see it)

We are playing B10&B11 at the moment.

Id love to hear how you Thac0 fans are using Fantasy grounds as well, and what rulesets you like!

dr_venture
April 12th, 2013, 07:19
Castles & Crusades almost belongs in this group too - no THAC0 per se, but it's extremely AD&D 1e-like, and game materials can be converted back and forth between C&C and AD&D with ease.

That said, I'd love to see the OSRIC ruleset continue to be developed and refined! It's pretty good already, I think.

Mark of Stark
April 12th, 2013, 14:16
As a man that grew up playing 1st ed and ad&d I have to say I enjoy having access to these rulesets and the new reprints (though I still have my originals). I havent looked over C&C yet though.

sehmerus
April 12th, 2013, 16:01
the reason We chose to not use teh Osric ruleset instead of the ADND2e ruleset is that, it does not have a player viewable combat tracker. its only combat tracker is viewable by the DM. and most of the players want that tracker. but the ADND 2e ruleset on the other hand fits better with our Optional rules we are using from the Rules compendium. such things as weapon mastery skills, and weapon proficiencies.

leozelig
April 13th, 2013, 04:25
OSRIC is my ruleset of choice for AD&D 1st edition. An update is in the works, so we might see some expanded features like a player combat tracker.