PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Mark of Stark
April 10th, 2013, 15:58
Hey all, I'm a new guy here and I'd just figure I'd make a post. So I recently found out about this program, I have no idea how I missed it as I was looking for exactly this kind of thing for over 10 years. I don't have any specific questions at the moment as I have yet to really check it out to any serious extent. I've checked out the intro vids and watched some people using it online over twitch or on youtube and FG2 really seems like exactly what I want. Since my friends and I all have kids now, moved further apart, work and wives and all the normal stuff that can get in the way of gaming like we did in high school all those many years ago, this seems like what I want.

I am considering picking up the ultimate as I think it will be an easier sell to them, plus the chance might pop up to pull in friends far off to jump in and play. So I guess besides my intro I was wondering besides the vids and faq on the site, what is a good way to really get a feel for FG2. I got the demo naturally but for this kind of thing my more info I have the better.

Valarian
April 10th, 2013, 16:05
Join in a game or two. There's some pick-up games on the Virtual RPA site (https://virtualrpa.guildlaunch.com/index.php), or check out the calendar for regular games.

Mark of Stark
April 10th, 2013, 16:35
Thanks, I considered doing just that, though I wasnt 100% on where to go or what to look for since my knowledge of the program currently is underwhelming and I didnt want to sign up for something only to hold people back with still learning.

Valarian
April 10th, 2013, 16:43
Most GMs are okay with new people joining in. If you're okay for a regular game then my Sunday group is currently starting up a second (third) campaign for The One Ring, continuing from the previous one that finished last week. If not, then try the pick-up games on a Saturday evening.

Mark of Stark
April 10th, 2013, 16:53
I haven't played 'The One Ring' though I can guess the concept ;) I am atlantic time, I should probably put that in my sig like you did, so I am 4 hours in the past from you, which could work out pretty well for me. But I dont want to get too ahead of myself, but thank you for the invite and I may take you up on it.

Have you had much luck with people/groups meshing well together just over the FG2 client and the forums?

Valarian
April 11th, 2013, 13:15
The people I've gamed with have been very good. There's been the odd one or two that have been disruptive or just dropped put without explanation, but it has been very positive in general.

Mark of Stark
April 11th, 2013, 14:12
Thats pretty good odds, with so many people and games created there are bound to be those, but glad to hear it isnt a large problem. I find a community is important to keep this kind of thing going.

Thanks

Answulf
April 11th, 2013, 22:49
Since my friends and I all have kids now, moved further apart, work and wives and all the normal stuff that can get in the way of gaming like we did in high school all those many years ago, this seems like what I want.

I think you just described half the people on here. What rulesets are you looking to play? I'd be happy to help you get your feet wet, as I'm sure others would as well - but we have different levels of expertise in different rulesets.

Mark of Stark
April 11th, 2013, 23:13
Well, I have a huge collection of rpg books of all different kinds of rpg's. Currently I am looking at pathfinder the most, since like most people I have the longest history with dnd. I don't mind 4th ed too much but 3.5/pathfinder is, imo, far superior. I have played a lot of L5R and might look into setting that up once I am more familiar with the FG2 setup. Game of Thrones by Green Ronin is also a huge passion of mine.

I've also played alot of different kinds of superhero rpgs, including Mutants and Masterminds so that might be a ruleset I'd pick up quickly. Also I started playing rpg's during the AD&D days so old school always has a special place in my heart.