PDA

View Full Version : Looking for RP partner

Yukina_Youkai
April 10th, 2013, 00:10
I am looking to start roleplaying, but as I do not understand the rulests, I wouldnt know which one to use.I am used to fantasy type, or more D&D type rping.Please message me with where I need to look!

Mgrancey
April 10th, 2013, 00:39
4e is fantasy aimed at MMO set, with powers that work like those in MMOs.
3.5/Pathfinder are very similar with Pathfinder roughly being about the same as 3.75
Arcana evolved is a 3.5 offshot from Monte Cooke
Castles and Crusdes is D&D 1st ed offshoot I believe
Rolemaster is AD&D offshoot when DnD went to 3rd ed.
Savage worlds is a more storybased system, play can be a little disproportionate due to mechanics, but is aimed at pulpy feel, aimed at being dramatic (go big or go home)

What kinda experience are you looking for, big on RP or battle or even mix?

Yukina_Youkai
April 10th, 2013, 00:46
Mix, I would say.Thank you for your response!

Mgrancey
April 10th, 2013, 01:51
If you want to try out pathfinder, the Pathfinder society is a good way to try it out a bit. I am probably also going to start a "sandbox" campaign soon (current semester is over in a couple of weeks) that will take place in the River Kingdom of Gollerion using Thornwood and Emerald Spire modules as main dungeons.

JohnD
April 10th, 2013, 05:13
I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment of Rolemaster, but that's really neither here nor there.

Rolemaster is skill oriented and combat is heavily oriented in "realism" of certain weapons being more effective against certain types or armor and less effective against others.

For my money, Rolemaster is the best rule set out there because everything follows the same inherent logic.

Regardless of the game system, a good group of players and a DM/GM make everything come together.

Andrepartthree
April 10th, 2013, 15:15
Welcome to FG :) (I'm going out on a limb and guessing you're new to FG in general ;) ) .. you mentioned being new to the rulesets.. when I was about to GM for the first time I checked out Xorn's video tutorials , on the "downloads" section of the website - super informative and very helpful :) ... I think they're geared mostly towards the more popular game systems, D&D 4th and 3rd edition but once you get that down the others are really just different "flavors" of the same thing in my opinion ;) ... this guy is running a great campaign and it's very newbie friendly if you're free Weds nights :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18541

One thing to consider ... kind of an odd question but would you consider yourself a fast or average typist or a slow typist? There are slow typists who play FG who, for that reason, strongly prefer their FG game sessions to be run over skype or some other free-to-use voice internet type program .. this would require a microphone/headset combo (or just a mike too I suppose) but they're pretty cheap anyways ;) ... other GM's will prefer everything you do "in-character" be typed - but if you have a slow typist he/she ends up being frustrated as everyone else types merrily away and he slowly plods along unable to fully participate in the FG game session.. so that's something to ask any potential GM about up front ;) ...