PDA

View Full Version : Retro Greyhawk (Gygax version), Alternating Fridays, Text chat only

dr_venture
April 9th, 2013, 23:53
Hi, this is my semi-regular recruitment message for my Greyhawk campaign (first edition) with a definite retro vibe. We're starting with a classic module from 1984 (about half way or more through it) and we'll see where everyone wants the game to go from there. I'm an easy-going GM and am happy to teach noobs (as long as they at least intend to be a regular player). If you're interested, please PM me.

Specifics:
Ruleset: Castles & Crusades (think simplified/streamlined version of early D&D). Alternating Fridays, 6-10pm Pacific. FG text chat only - no voice (pace is definitely slower, but immersion is better... it's not for everyone). Setting, rules details, wiki, session scheduling, etc. set up on Obsidian Portal (https://www.obsidianportal.com) web site (you'll need to provide me with your account name there - it's free).

As a player, please be prepared to:

Play a session or two with one of the NPCs - if you like the game, I'm happy to set you up with your own character.
Monitor and respond to very occasional emails from the OP web site;
Do a moderate amount of typing (no voice chat means only typing - slower pace, but more immersion);
Maintain about 75% or better game session attendance (everyone has to miss sometimes, but it should be the exception, not a normal thing);
Install and use Hamachi (free VPN software - easy to use - full instructions on the OP site);
Let me know whether or not you'll be attending a game session (this is very easy by just clicking a link in your game reminder email).

Dr_Babylon
April 10th, 2013, 07:29
To all who may be considering joining on, you would be doing yourself a favor to give it a whirl. Despite his namesake, dr_venture combines that rare mix of organization and affability. In my experience he adapts to player needs and is open to feedback. I had the pleasure of being included in another of his campaigns and sincerely regret that I was unable to continue. Especially useful to those looking for an opportunity to (re)introduce themselves to the RP circuit with minimal pressure or frustration.

(I do hope I'm not speaking out of turn. Others have spoken on my behalf in the past so it only seems right that I give credit where it is due.)

Mark of Stark
April 12th, 2013, 14:08
Hey, I was just curious why you use Hamachi. Do you typically find connection issues or troubles with players firewalls? I am very new to FG2 so I was curious. I've used Hamachi in the past and I was just interested since you made the point to bring it up in the opening post.

dr_venture
April 12th, 2013, 15:45
I live way out in the sticks (many folks don't realize how far out I live, so I included a photo from my front porch - Yosemite Valley is behind the tallest peak in the left-center). I'm lucky to have a WiMax service provider, but unfortunately he does not support any open ports other than those used for basic web surfing. Thus, I have to use Hamachi to get around my ISP's blocked ports. On the plus side, I've found Hamachi very useful for debugging connection problems with players, and for sharing private info with them (as opposed to whispering in FG).

...and welcome to the FG gang!

Mark of Stark
April 12th, 2013, 15:54
That makes a lot of sense then. I was concerned that maybe there where issues with the program itself, since I was seriously considering getting the ultimate pass I was curious about the need of the VPN and I haven't connected to a game yet so I haven't had an FG2 ingame experience. But enough about that, I dont want to hijack your thread anylonger.

Thanks for the welcome and that pic is a fabulous view.

dr_venture
April 13th, 2013, 21:55
Thanks, Dr.B - I hope we get the chance to game again sometime!

inuroku842
April 14th, 2013, 04:19
I'd love to join a game with you! Never played castles and crusades, but I was initiated into the game world on AD&D. I would usually be available on Fridays at the posted time, I live in the central time zone and will have a steady schedule for at least the next 4 months or so. If you don't miond working with a noob to the ruleset, I'd love to join!

dr_venture
April 15th, 2013, 02:35
inuroku842: PM received & reply sent

Mark of Stark
April 15th, 2013, 22:40
If your still looking then I'd be interested, sent you a pm about it.

dr_venture
April 16th, 2013, 01:34
Hey Mark, sent you a reply. For now we have a couple people ready to try it out, so we're in a holding pattern while we see if these new guys want to stick with the game. I'll post again here if we need more players, but for now we're tentatively full.

JohnD
April 20th, 2013, 13:25
The view from your front porch is stunning... am envious. :)

dr_venture
April 20th, 2013, 16:24
Dude, you live in Canada - aren't *all* views in Canada stunning? :D

JohnD
April 20th, 2013, 20:33
Not right now I still have 18" of snow in my back yard!

dr_venture
April 21st, 2013, 00:49
Isn't snow beautiful? I had an intense thunderstorm last week - forecast called for clear, but this black cloud blew in from the high Sierras - thunder & lightning, and hail/snow an inch deep in about 45 minutes. Next day was totally gone and 74 outside. Weird weather. Also, we get mountain lions up here - had to shoot at one (mainly as noisemaker) that was eying the meat counter that is our goat pen 2 nights ago with my manly mighty frontier rifle (a .22 with a carving in the stock of a squirrel holding a nut... pew! pew!). It's potential fodder for my old west game though!