PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card problems

doc4221
April 9th, 2013, 19:44
Hello everyone, i am very new to all of this, so my apologies if i am not posting properly. i am very interested in Fantasy Grounds, and am trying to demo the software, but cannot get it to run. every time i install, then run the software, it locks up my machine. i believe it to be an issue with my nvidia card. i was hoping to see if anyone else has had problems running the software with an nvidia card, and if so, how did you resolve it. i have tried different drivers, old and new, but all crash when i launch the software. any guidance is appreciated!!!

MrSavaroth
April 9th, 2013, 19:53
Hello Doc,

I personally use an nvidia card as well and have no issues running fantasy grounds at all. What kind of card is it? Does the lockup require a hard reset? What OS are you running? I think if you post your system specs here, it might be easier for others to get an idea of what is going on.

Kind regards,

doc4221
April 9th, 2013, 20:12
thank you so much for getting back to me. i have a dell xps 400 running windows xp service pack 3. the graphics card is a geforce gt 610 with the most recent nvidia drivers. and yes, every time i run the program it locks up and i have to do a hard reset. i tried a few older drivers and it still locks up. i can get to the main screen, but when i launch the demo campaign, the load screen shows and then it locks. only a hard reset will work at that point.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2013, 20:35
Try updating your DirectX installation - web installer available from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

doc4221
April 9th, 2013, 21:16
It appears to be working now. I tried it again, and it did lock up but this time i just let it sit for a while, rather than resetting the machine when there was no response. it took a little while but it finally opened. Very odd. I will try the updating of direct x as indicated though, to see if it makes a difference. thank you very much for taking time to help me, your assistance is greatly appreciated. this is my first time posting on a forum and it is nice to see that people are so helpful. thanks again! :)

Trenloe
April 9th, 2013, 21:25
Yep, when you load up a campaign it will take quite a while, especially on an older PC, as it loads up the ruleset into its memory. So it can appear as if not much is happening and if you click on the FG window XP might say that it is not responding because it is doing a lot of work. Leave it a few minutes to see if it comes up OK, I have to do this when running on my old laptop...