PDA

View Full Version : question on Classic Traveller Ruleset

antoneagle
April 8th, 2013, 00:09
Hi all,
I downloaded and installed the Classic Traveller Ruleset. It seems to be working okay, but none of the supplemental info is accessible. How do I access a list of skills in-game, or equipment, etc.?

Also, has anyone done a conversion of Classic Trav to MegaTrav? In my humble opinion, MegaTrav was a high point for Traveler rules (not campaign material though).

Thanks!

Dayson
April 8th, 2013, 13:07
Hi antoeagle,
I am a fellow Classic Traveller Fanatic. What you downloaded is more of a skin. It is not the rule set you hoped for. That being said, I have Refereed many games using it. You have to enter the data yourself, but its not too bad. Enjoy!

Moon Wizard
April 9th, 2013, 00:10
All the free rulesets linked from the downloads page are community projects, which means that they can only include stuff that is publicly available. This means that reference material and images from the books can not be provided, unless they are publicly available. The rulesets are just the mechanics and sheets specific to the game system.

We do have several rulesets sold in our store which include reference material. They were developed in conjunction with the publisher of the game system.

Regards,
JPG

Velocinox
April 9th, 2013, 02:13
Kind of saw this coming when you guys saved some of the fading community projects and hosted them yourself.

Maybe you could include a banner stating these are NOT the work of Smiteworks and you are only providing bandwidth and hosting and that they are presented AS-IS with no implied support forthcoming?

It's enough that you guys did what you did, you don't deserve whatever abuse might stem from it from the uninitiated. (Not saying there has been any so far, but that is a worst case continuation of future posts similar to the OP.)

JohnD
April 9th, 2013, 14:02
Agree - it really needs to be large, front and centre - these are community rule sets, not officially endorsed by Smiteworks and/or the game company. You do yourselves a big favor putting that in a text file with every download and on the page itself.

Moon Wizard
April 9th, 2013, 22:42
It's actually on each download page, but maybe I'll add to front page and highlight in red on each download page as well.

Cheers,
JPG

Archlyte
April 23rd, 2013, 06:52
I just wish I could get it to recognize modules.

Archlyte
April 30th, 2013, 04:49
Anyone know if the ClassicTraveller ruleset has a borked Library script? I tried modifying the rules module from 3.5. I can get the titles and icon to show up in library but everything else results in an error:

Could not open sheet with data from unloaded module 'Name'

I changed all references to the former name, and nothing else, so I could see if it would work. It doesn't.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2013, 03:46
Anyone know if the ClassicTraveller ruleset has a borked Library script? I tried modifying the rules module from 3.5. I can get the titles and icon to show up in library but everything else results in an error:

I changed all references to the former name, and nothing else, so I could see if it would work. It doesn't.
Can you provide an example of the XML from your module? Normally when this error occurs the reference in the module (usually something like XXXXX@<module name>) does not match the correct name of the module - i.e. @<module name> is not the name that the module is actually using in the XML.

Archlyte
May 8th, 2013, 05:46
Well I would post it, but I could not get it to work so I gave up and just resigned myself to having to use simple text entries in the library. It won't link to tables or references no matter what. I think that Stuart palmed the spark plugs from the library function when he posted the ruleset :)

I tried everything I could think of and it just wouldn't recognize anything other than the format used in the licensing entry (formattedtext).

Trenloe
June 7th, 2013, 04:19

Don't know if you're still interested in looking at the library entries for the Classic Traveller ruleset? If so, post #17 in this thread lists what library templates are supported: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11526&page=2

Archlyte
June 8th, 2013, 07:49
Don't know if you're still interested in looking at the library entries for the Classic Traveller ruleset? If so, post #17 in this thread lists what library templates are supported: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11526&page=2
Oh thank you I will check that out :)