PDA

View Full Version : Occasional Adventures (D&D 4E Homebrew)

Bleak Midwinter
April 4th, 2013, 19:09
FG License: DM has Ultimate.
Game System: D&D 4E.

Time Zone: British Standard Time.
Day of week and time: DM (me) and players are busy people. There is no set day. I will run episodic games (as in, each session is a self-contained episode). Organisation of the game will take place on Doodle or similar. Episodic means not every player needs to be present. Characters not present in an episode will have their xp kept up. Usually around 19:30 UK time.
If new game, planned start date: Campaign to commence soon, evening GMT.
Planned Frequency: unknown due to scheduling. Hoping for fortnightly.
Term: It's a campaign.

Text or Voice: in-game is text only. Out of game chat etc will use voice.
Voice software used: probably Skype.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 75/25 roleplay/combat.
Number of Players in game & needed: Have 5 players, some will be able to be more regular than others. Due to running in episodes, I'd like to up this and average at 4 players per session. In practical terms, I'd like to sign up another two players.
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level with starting gear/gold.
Character restrictions: Humans, dwarves. Open to negotiation on other races based on the gameworld.

Details of your scenario: Occasional Adventures is a D&D 4th Edition game set in the continent of Greater Torrinth, a kingdom of ten provinces that has exhausted itself through bitter warfare. It is a land surrounded by stormy and treacherous seas, and divided by a savage range of mountains, the High Peaks. The Silent Gap is the only easy pass that crosses west to east, and the struggle for control over its lucrative trade routes has caused wars and feuds that have lasted generations. The most recent war was the War of Spring Flowers, a battle of east versus west. It ended with the destruction of the western Duchy of Glad Cor, with Duchess Adelee executed, her Ducal seat torn down stone by stone, and her lands salted. King Arten IV died in the war, leaving the kingdom to be ruled by a Regent's Council in the name of his daughter, the young Queen Sheilhe.

Civilization is fraying at the edges. Isolated settlements have been abandoned, contact with them lost. Confused tales make their way to the ducal cities - rural settlements depleted of men by conscription to the point that the harvest rotted in the fields, women and children preyed upon by bandits, famine, and seaborne raiders that strike during the storms that wrack the kingdom's coasts.

Other notes:
1. I'm using a Wiki to run this game. Accepted players will get posting rights etc. The wiki is here (https://rpg.darkeningskies.net), although it's far from complete.
2. Players will be encouraged to add to the wiki in the form of character diaries and so on, and will get some in-game rewards for doing so.
3. DM and players are in our 30s. We don't mind older/younger people, but the game is going to be more mud-and-blood than shiny-haired people looking noble in the dawn.
4. The characters are more likely to be motivated by self-interest than a desire to Fix The World (although the two can coincide). This is important because to some extent the game will be purely player driven. At the end of a session, players likely to make the next session will decide on a location to go and a task to do. This intention may or may not turn into reality (campaign plot may change things!) but pro-active players will find this campaign a lot more rewarding than passive players. The map of the world is here -link (https://rpg.darkeningskies.net/map/Greater%20Torrinth%20Map.html). Again, lots of work to go before each location has a wiki entry.
5. Back-up character concepts are highly recommended. Combats will be rare, and mostly avoidable through player action (or inaction!) - but when they do happen, some enemies will actively go for the kill.
6. There are no set times or days (although the group is based in the UK). Organising over Doodle lets us find a time when a certain number of people are free (three or more) and just run then.

Link to Gamecalendar page: Link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1009).

Edit:
Test session had, Myrddin below was very helpful in explaining some of the ways to use FG2. Doodle invites sent out for session 1.

Myrddin
April 5th, 2013, 14:58
I'd be interested in joining your campaign, as 'occasional' will work well for me. Fridays will typically be a problem for me, although I am available this evening, but not before around 8pm ish (need to get kids to bed!).

I haven't played 4ED, but GM'ed AD&D 2ED for years and years before our group switched to Pendragon for the last 10 years or so. Yep, I'm the wrong side of 40, but still love gaming when I get the chance!

Let me know if you'd be happy for me to join the game tonight a little late (say 8pm). If not, not a problem. Are you creating chars tonight together? I'll need to, as I have none prepared.

Bleak Midwinter
April 5th, 2013, 17:08
Hey. Fridays are not a 'guaranteed day' by any means, it just so happened we had some coinciding schedule breaks this week. There is no "wrong side of 40" so you're more than welcome to join us.

Character creation for two has already been done - we have a Defender (shield-using fighter), and a Leader (warlord). We probably also have a Controller (wizard, depending on whether he has to wrangle the child actively or passively). Another Defender would probably be the least useful thing but I'm happy for flexibility. Since I'm new to running FG (played a couple of 4th Ed games in it) we're going to spend a bit of tonight just implementing powers etc.

Creation can be done during this setup - I've got a DDI account. In the interests of speed, I'd advise sticking to Essentials and the PHB for tonight's session. Future powers can be anything but I want to minimise scraping and parsing tonight if I can!

Myrddin
April 5th, 2013, 18:21
I am not worried what char type I play...whatever is best for balance. As I say, I haven't played 4ED and don't have access to the rules at present.

Maybe I should get a sub to DDI...at least for a month or so to create a character? What do you reckon?

Bleak Midwinter
April 5th, 2013, 19:41
D&D has four roles - tank, buff/healer, controller (it's a tactical game, this class is about positioning), and damage-dealer. Pick one and we'll work with it!

I'll PM you so we can talk on Skype.

Bleak Midwinter
April 6th, 2013, 01:27
Now just looking for one more player.

Bleak Midwinter
April 7th, 2013, 10:26
No more players needed, though happy to discuss in PM if anyone else would like to join in.

Bleak Midwinter
April 11th, 2013, 18:45
Looking for one more, ideally some variety of Cleric.