PDA

View Full Version : Help finding campaign info

Macgreine
April 2nd, 2013, 01:03
I opened my FG today for a game and the PC's and NPC's are all missing from one of the campaigns. The other campaigns are still in tact. anyone know what could have happened?

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2013, 01:31
Can't think of anything that could do that.

Check in the <FG App Data Directory>\campaigns\<Your campaign name> directory and see if there is a db.backup.XXXXXXX.xml file (XXXXXXX is a bunch of numbers). If there is, make a copy of the whole directory (in case there are more issue) and go into the copy you made and rename one of the db.backup files (one that is probably larger than the current db.xml file - as this will have more info in) to db.xml - overwriting the old one.

Load up this copy campaign - it will have the name of the directory you copied it to, and see if the missing info is there. If not, and there are more db.backup files, try copying those one by one to db.xml to see if these contain the missing info.

genjuro_zero
April 2nd, 2013, 01:49
The issue here was that there was malformed XML down in the db.backup.xml file which, when we renamed it to db.xml that db was mostly getting discarded (1200 kb down to 8kb).

I suspected some bad xml in there, and ran a good copy of the db.backup through an xml validator and found that there was an error around line 17000 in the xml. I opened it up, found it, fixed it and things are working now.

Macgreine
April 2nd, 2013, 01:52
Thanks for the quick response Trenloe.

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2013, 01:57
Thanks for the quick response Trenloe.
No worries. Glad you got it fixed. :)

Macgreine
April 2nd, 2013, 05:22
It looks like it may have been caused by a PC's portrait that caused an error in the code of the DB back up file. Strange stuff. Kudos to Matt for figuring it out.

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2013, 06:10
It looks like it may have been caused by a PC's portrait that caused an error in the code of the DB back up file. Strange stuff. Kudos to Matt for figuring it out.
Yep, well done Matt! :-)

Could you provide more info on the PC portrait. Was it the filename or something else that caused the issue? It might help to avoid this in future.

genjuro_zero
April 3rd, 2013, 01:58
Yep, well done Matt! :-)

Could you provide more info on the PC portrait. Was it the filename or something else that caused the issue? It might help to avoid this in future.

Here's the offending XML:

<>
<image type="image">
</image>
<toolbars type="number">0</toolbars>
</>

Here's a screenshot of it, https://screencast.com/t/JMUuTJc8NB and I've attached the xml file to this post if you want all of it.

Zeus
April 4th, 2013, 20:02
That's odd. Somehow an image entry was created in the image window list and the underlying XML database but with no key or id? FGII doesn't like emtpy tags hence the error. Strange. Do you recall the steps leading up to the original campaign crash - may help JPG to understand how the entry was created and if applicable work on a fix.