PDA

View Full Version : old campaignlp??

Commander Rug
March 30th, 2013, 23:43
ok so i have a character sheet i took across from and old campaign we are now firing up but i cant access it on my manage character's part of FG... i dont know what file to put it into to access it.... its all sorted out but i can import it.... please he

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 05:06
ok so i have a character sheet i took across from and old campaign we are now firing up but i cant access it on my manage character's part of FG... i dont know what file to put it into to access it.... its all sorted out but i can import it.... please he
What format do you have this character in? Was it an FG XMl export from the old campaign?

If so, and it for 3.5E/Pathfinder or 4e then you can use the character converter to do a "local import" into your manage characters cache.

Commander Rug
March 31st, 2013, 13:35
it was done on FG 2 last used about 3-4 months ago and it was 4E whats this local import thing?

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 13:40
What format do you have your character stored in? Is it a .XML file that was exported from Fantasy Grounds?

Commander Rug
March 31st, 2013, 13:43
ok so i try to use the /importchar command in FG2 after i figured how it works..... but all it does is throw up script error's this is a file created by the same program im trying to run it on... how is it not working?

yes both are in .XML they were exported by FG... i shouldnt have to worry about the format anyway!!!!

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 14:33
Please attach the XML file you are trying to import to this thread so we can check it for you.

Commander Rug
March 31st, 2013, 18:47
there is nothing wrong with the file.... its FG... dont worry bout it ill do some more research :(

Commander Rug
March 31st, 2013, 18:49
ok so i worked out whats wrong with it... FG is crap if you cant import without having a full license!!!

JohnD
March 31st, 2013, 19:49
I wouldn't go that far... it stands to reason that the more you pay for your version the more functionality you get.

From; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=SWK02:

This package contains the LITE version of Fantasy Grounds. With it you can:

- Join games as a player
- Create characters locally to take with you into a game session
** Some rulesets only allow character generation when connected to a host

Nothing in there about importing characters.

IMO paying the extra $15 gets you a lot of functionality (EDIT: assuming of course you aren't working on a demo/free version).

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 19:58
ok so i worked out whats wrong with it... FG is crap if you cant import without having a full license!!!
So, what license do you have unlicensed or lite?

Commander Rug
March 31st, 2013, 21:29
im sorry but i expected to be able to manage my characters on any level of control from the application... its no good for instance someone not being able to play there RP campaign because the program that says it allows them too wont give them access.... i cant play the game unless i can import the character and i cant import the character coe i dont have higher than a lite license.... its like fg just shoot itself in the foot... that feature was promised to come out to all licenses....

and tenloe if it was unlicensed or a crack i wouldnt be asking for help cos i would either just edit it manually or have the equivilant of a full license from the crack!
that was such a stupid question....

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 21:47
im sorry but i expected to be able to manage my characters on any level of control from the application... its no good for instance someone not being able to play there RP campaign because the program that says it allows them too wont give them access.... i cant play the game unless i can import the character and i cant import the character coe i dont have higher than a lite license.... its like fg just shoot itself in the foot... that feature was promised to come out to all licenses....
It is available to all licenses - except the unlicensed/unregistered version. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, you can import an FG XML character into the local character cache for use in manage characters - which you can use with a lite license.

To run the character converter open your FG Application Data Folder (Available from Windows Start -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder), go to the \utilities directory and run CharacterConverter.exe.

Select the input as 4E and "Fantasy Grounds (xml)" from the drop down boxes. Select your XML file you want to import. In the "Output" section select "local Import" and then press the convert button. Once complete, open up Fantasy Grounds (don't have it running when you do this process) and select "Manage Characters" and select the 4E ruleset and press start.

When it loads, open up the "Characters" window (the people icon to the top right) and you should see your character - you can now change it as you wish and then have access to it as a local import when you join a GMs game or you can click the down arrow icon in the characters window to export to XML for backup and to send to a GM if needed.

that was such a stupid question....
You can play Fantasy Grounds with an unlicensed version if the GM has an ultimate license. So, it wasn't a stupid question, it was completely valid.

I think you need to calm down a little and realise that people are here to help you with this "crap" application. ;)

Commander Rug
April 2nd, 2013, 16:17
thank you for your help.... this program doesnt explain anything, you have to figure it out for yourself, i appreciate your help but you can understand my confusion and fustration when i have to convert a character sheet i imported off of the program i am converting it for. and the forums/help section of this website offers none of this information.

thanx again