PDA

View Full Version : LFG - Complete Newbie - Open to Anything

Baron Of Hell
March 30th, 2013, 19:22
Hello
I'm new or feel I'm new to D&D and the like. I starting to throw out requests but I'm not completely sure I'm doing it right or if my attempts to find games are the best way to go about things. Any help or guidance in this will be taken with love, man love.

Below is my game request from another site. I think the info in it is good for anyone one that might consider taking me own.

Name: Baron Of Hell

Currently seeking a campaign: No

Way to Contact: [email protected] Email is probably best because I'm not sure how PMs and IMs work on this site.

What type of gaming medium: ? I have no idea. I haven't tried any

Times/Days available: Sun-Sat 5am-10pm PST: Yeah I'm really wide open.

Type of campaign looking for: I like magic, swords, sci fi, vampires but I'm open to anything

Types of characters you like: I haven't played enough to know what I like. However, a charming rouge type player sounds fun.

Info about you: I have played a little many many years ago before there was a internet. I have no idea what is going on now. I recently found a youtube D&D game being played that I really liked. Also I found a podcast with a D&D game that I also really like. So here I am looking for game. I have never heard of some of these games until today or some of the new tools out. I'll probably need a lot of hand holding considering I'm not the best game player. If you ever seen me play Left 4 Dead you might think I was on the zombies side. However, I'm willing to give it the old college try. I think I might be better at pathfinder or D&D because those are system being used by the shows I'm watching, but I know they are using some major modified rules so maybe these shows have corrupted me. Lets see what else. I enjoy long walks, I live in Seattle, and I haven't killed anyone in the last hour.

JohnD
March 30th, 2013, 19:56
The good thing is that reflex/twitch shooter skills aren't needed here! :)

Welcome!

John_Geeshu
March 30th, 2013, 21:08
Welcome to the community! Best of luck finding a campaign that works for you.

GunnarGreybeard
March 30th, 2013, 22:58
Welcome Baron. I would defintely give the non Pathfinder or D&D games a look. There are many GM's out there who welcome new blood into their campaigns.

FourOhFour
April 1st, 2013, 01:07
You know I'm pretty much in the same boat so I'll just piggyback on your post. :bandit:
Though I will steal your template as well:
Name: FourOhFour
Currently seeking a campaign: Yes
Way to Contact: [email protected]
What type of gaming medium: Ive played the old TSR win 3.1 games when I was young (with really not much of and idea what I was doing) and various other DnD-esque computer games (Baldur, Neverwinter) never tried an actual factual pen and paper though.
Times/Days available: I'm going to say most days after 8pm EST.
Type of campaign looking for: 25% RP 75%combat something along those lines also I've been wondering whats this Star Wars tabletop all about I think I want to get me some of that :nerdflex:
Types of characters you like: I usually turn towards brawlers or support classes but I an kind of interested to start a magic class, I know there are tons of class/race combos. I'm sure I'll find more out about classes after lurking here a bit longer.

Thanks everyone for reading and your subsequent advice, and thanks Baron for starting this thread. :D

Trenloe
April 1st, 2013, 01:13
Times/Days available: I'm going to say most days after 8.
What time zone are you in?

Andrepartthree
April 2nd, 2013, 15:14
Welcome to FG you guys :) .. you'll find most Gamesmasters (GM's - guys who run the game/campaign ;) ) and players are very newbie-friendly whether it be being new to FG or to role playing games in general ... I find that GM's are far more interested in your personality ... do you get along well with other players and the GM or are you the kind of person to argue the GM's decisions and engage in "whose reproductive organ is longest" :P contests with the other players even if it disrupts the game... or are you the kind of person who pays no attention to the carefully laid out campaign the GM has set up for you and decides to "hack and slash" the hell out of everyone just 'cause you're bored and it's fun.. do you put effort into coming up with an interesting backstory/personality for your character then make an attempt to role play that character, make the character come "to life" so to speak during FG games? Not that I'm accusing anyone on this thread of the negative behaviors I just described :P but you'd be surprised at the number of players who DO exhibit behavior like that.. if you look over the threads on here you'll see a common plea/request from GM's is the need for "mature" players... I've had newbies who have fit the bill on all of the above and vastly preferred them to certain power-mad , disruptive players I've had the misfortune of GM'ing for back when I had time to run my own campaign.... GM's also love players who will commit to a game for at least 3 or 4 sessions then have the guts to tell the GM that they're leaving instead of "vanishing into the mist" if they decide they're bored with the campaign.

I'd recommend looking over the threads on here for games that interest you and PM'ing the GM directly with a brief capsule summary of the concept of the kind of character you'd like to play, even if you don't know enough about the RPG in question to go into specifics ... you should also ask if everything you do "in character" is typed in-game .. if so be careful, if you're a slow typist you will be unhappy .. there are certain FG players who vastly prefer FG game sessions that use free voice chat programs such as skype to communicate all their actions whether "in character" or "out of character" (often players who are slow typists or who simply prefer things to move along at a faster pace).. there are GM's such as myself who use both (type what you do "in character" and use skype to announce out of character stuff.. questions about rules and so forth) ... back when I GM'ed I used to insist everything in-character was typed I felt that it added to the "mood/atmosphere" of the game ;) (and there are a bunch of GM's who feel the same way - not all GM's though ! )

Expect the possibility of going through a few campaigns that are "false starts".. you might be lucky and have your first campaign be one with devoted players and a devoted GM who will stick around for at least several months before the campaign winds down to a close... in other cases you'll either have flaky players who all show great interest at the beginning then mysteriously vanish soon after the game starts (at times resulting in a frustrated GM who gives up at that point) or the GM himself might be all gung ho at first then flake out on you.. with patience you'll eventually find a long-term game you can have fun in ;) ...

Also check out the video tutorials on the "downloads" page by Xorn ... very informative and hugely helpful to any new players (big thumbs up to Xorn for doing them in the first place ! :) )

JohnD
April 2nd, 2013, 16:51
Yeah, as Andrepartthree said... there's a few pitfalls in on-line gaming. I think he nailed most of them. Start looking and keep looking... once you find a group that is compatible you'll simply love it.

Baron Of Hell
April 3rd, 2013, 13:51
lots of good info in here. I have now found a game, so I'm all set now.