PDA

View Full Version : Error? Loading Token Module

dulux-oz
March 30th, 2013, 08:46
Hi Guys,

Got a funny one!

I've gone through the past posts, but none of them seem to address the issue.

I've been playing around with the new CharacterPogs Token Module (in the 3.5 Ed Ruleset) that we updated to recently. It works great when I'm in Host Mode, but when I fire up a 2nd instance of FG2 in Client Mode I can see the Token Module but not open it - the "booK" just slams shut.

Is this "as designed" because the Host and Client are running on the same machine (ie they will be "sharing" the same Modules Folder), is this an error, or have I been really stupid and missed something? I've tried having the Host copy open, closed, allowed and forced but nothing seems to make a difference.

Hmmmm!

JohnD
March 30th, 2013, 14:20
On your server you need to put a Lightning Bolt or a Checkmark by the module, not just open it if you want your players to access it as well.

dulux-oz
March 31st, 2013, 00:40
As I said in my original post, (last paragraph) - I've already tried that. Any other suggestions?

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 04:10
I notice when I test this that the player will only see the token modules in Module Activation if they are logged in when the GM sets the token module to force load (lightning symbol). If the player logs out and then logs back in again I can't see the token module in module activation to even try to open it.

I may be mistaken, but I always thought that token modules were more of a GM thing. Tokens that players use would have to be added manually to the \tokens\shared folder.

If a GM adds a token to an image or a map the players can move it - unless tokens are locked or the token was added from the Combat Tracker from a neutral of hostile NPC. So, the GM can add tokens on request (summoned monsters, etc.) that the players can move; but players can't get access to token modules - only tokens specifically put in the \tokens\shared folder.

dulux-oz
March 31st, 2013, 16:41
Hi Trenloe,

Yeah, that's pretty much more-or-less what I was experiencing.

What you said makes sense, and I can see that this would be "by design" - BUT - if this were so how come one of the updated mods was called PlayerPogs - doesn't that imply that its for the players (to choose a token from for their character)?

In puzzlement

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 17:03
What you said makes sense, and I can see that this would be "by design" - BUT - if this were so how come one of the updated mods was called PlayerPogs - doesn't that imply that its for the players (to choose a token from for their character)?

In puzzlement
I think that is just semantics, would you rather that a "CharacterPog.mod" file was not provided at all because the players can't access it? This CharacterPog.mod (not PlayerPog.mod, by-the-way) is generic characters that could be used for NPCs as well as PCs, so it's not player specific.

Remember, tokens are not the same as portraits - Players select character portraits (GM's can't, unless they login as a player). For tokens in modules a GM will have to add them to the player's character sheet - this would be a one time action, so not much of an overhead.

But, I agree with you, it would be nice to be able to share token modules with players. How about you add it to the FG wish list? https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/ :-)

Trenloe
March 31st, 2013, 17:06
P.S. If you really want your players to have access to the new tokens, extract them into the \tokens\shared directory. The .mod file is just a zip file, rename to .zip and extract.

One thing to keep in mind is that all "shared" tokens are downloaded by each player when the connect to the GM, so this adds to network usage and initial connection time - so don't make lots and lots of tokens available to the players! :-)

dulux-oz
April 1st, 2013, 04:45
Good point - actually, several good points :)

I was planning on extracting the tokens and putting them into the shared folder as a "Plan B", but hadn't considered the implications of the number of token on connection speeds, etc - thanks for pointing that out (although I'm sure I would have "twigged"to it eventually).

My natural instinct is to give my Players lots of choices - lots and lots of choices (the guys have actually had the nerve to complain about so many choices some time - can you beleive that!) So providing all the possible -relevant- tokens was where I was going. Now I might just provide the tokens for my layers to download and install on their own pc's locally instead.

Cheers

gmkieran
April 1st, 2013, 19:30
do Token mods have the same internal access structure other mods do? by which I mean, do they have a client/db/thirddesignationIcan'tremember .xml file that determines whether they are shared with players or not? If they do, would it not be possible to edit the playerpogs.mod to be player accessible by changing the type of that .xml file? Would that have the same impact on bandwidth that sharing from the Shared folder does? I'm curious, because I've been planning on mapping Devin Night's Kickstarter token set out into a collection of modules and I was hoping to be able to share some of them with players during sessions.

Trenloe
April 1st, 2013, 19:41
do Token mods have the same internal access structure other mods do? by which I mean, do they have a client/db/thirddesignationIcan'tremember .xml file that determines whether they are shared with players or not? If they do, would it not be possible to edit the playerpogs.mod to be player accessible by changing the type of that .xml file?
Token mods do not have the usual client/db/common .xml files - they just have the definition.xml file and a \tokens directory where the tokens are. So this is not an options I'm afraid.

I'm curious, because I've been planning on mapping Devin Night's Kickstarter token set out into a collection of modules and I was hoping to be able to share some of them with players during sessions.
This doesn't stop the GM making their own module and using them during a session - the GM can still put tokens on a map/image and the players will see them and be able to interact with them (if token locking is not on).

gmkieran
April 2nd, 2013, 18:46
Thanks, Trenloe! Hadn't really thought it through, but the only reason for players to have access to a token mod is if they need to be able to pull tokens out of the bag and drop them on the map, themselves. While I can think of a few situations where that might be interesting, generally I don't want them grabbing the elder blue dragon and dropping him in front of my advancing orc armies. ;)

Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2013, 19:43
Thanks, Trenloe! Hadn't really thought it through, but the only reason for players to have access to a token mod is if they need to be able to pull tokens out of the bag and drop them on the map, themselves. While I can think of a few situations where that might be interesting, generally I don't want them grabbing the elder blue dragon and dropping him in front of my advancing orc armies. ;)
I have just a handful of shared tokens - a hand pointer, skull, treasure chest, etc. available for the players to be able to drop on the map if they want. Other than that, I think you're definitely right about not allowing those pesky players to drop dragon minis on the map. I have enough problems with my players drawing mustaches on NPC pictures! ;-)

JohnD
April 2nd, 2013, 22:45
I have just a handful of shared tokens - a hand pointer, skull, treasure chest, etc. available for the players to be able to drop on the map if they want. Other than that, I think you're definitely right about not allowing those pesky players to drop dragon minis on the map. I have enough problems with my players drawing mustaches on NPC pictures! ;-)
I hate it when that happens. I find that a few 'unlucky' E criticals on the offending character improve my mood pretty quick though. :hurt:

Dakadin
April 3rd, 2013, 07:27
I hate it when that happens. I find that a few 'unlucky' E criticals on the offending character improve my mood pretty quick though. :hurt:

LOL! You have to love Rolemaster for that. :p