PDA

View Full Version : A quick question from a first-time DM.

QueenMemory
March 28th, 2013, 04:37
Howdy, all! Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section, but I figured this was as good a place as any to ask.

I've been into D&D since 1996, but haven't done much in the way of playing since then. After taking enough time to read through the DMG and the PHB, I've decided to try and put together an adventure for some of my friends.

Is there any particular advice that anyone can offer in terms of creating an adventure, as opposed to using a premade module? When creating a module, is it safe to follow a similar format to those used in premade adventures, or should you be willing to wing it provided you're prepared with encounters, creatures, etc?

OneSidedDie
March 28th, 2013, 08:40
I like writing an overview of the adventure, like a short storyboard, describing the general way I want it to flow. Then I write a few scenes of important points which can either go in order or be used in anytime. This will make it easier to keep up with the direction of your players and lets you reuse any material that wasn't covered in your first go. I like to act out all of my NPCs so I generally give them quotes of things they would say. It helps me get their accent and general demeanor down.

Valarian
March 28th, 2013, 09:54
I tend to go with a side of A4, outlining the basic structure - the reason to go on the adventure, an opening scene, some encounters I can throw in, locations and major plot points. Major NPCs will get a stat block and some notes (paragraph or two) on their motives, etc. Minor NPCs are generic stats and perhaps a one-line quote or something. It's then set things in motion and see where the players take you. You may need to revise the plot and outcomes based on the consequences of player actions. I believe strongly that players should experience the consequences for their character's actions. If the character's go around looting every village in the area, then they'll become outlaws and unwelcome in the area. Their reputation as reavers / raiders will precede them.

Kipling's Six Honest Serving Men can be a good way to come up with structure. Look at the plot from the main NPC antagonist and work backward to the player characters.

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.

QueenMemory
March 28th, 2013, 12:16
Much obliged, both of you! Both of those suggestions sound excellent, and I think they'll get me quite a bit further than simply trying to mimic the narrow structure of a premade adventure.

Mistindantacles
March 28th, 2013, 16:43
One thing to remember - be flexible. Rarely ... *very* rarely, will characters go first where you want them. Any scenes you draft, make sure you have enough of them that can "happen anywhere", so as to guide the characters back on track.

And lastly - this is as much their story as it is yours. You're co-authoring it together. The point is to have fun. If folks aren't having fun, don't be afraid to change direction mid-course.

Griogre
March 28th, 2013, 17:07
Another way to look at plot based adventures is as a simple 3 act play: 1) Introduction of the setting/NPCs. 2) PC's are setback by the villain - normally by his minions (in most RPGs an attack/confrontation of some sort). 3) Adventure Resolution or outcome; typically where the PCs confront the main villain(s).

For RPG's you usually want to keep your plots very simple and cliches work well, actually, since you don't want players wondering *what* they should do next to advance the adventure. However, its fine if they have to figure out *how* to do what they want.

mattcolville
March 28th, 2013, 22:30
Volumes have been written about good GMing and adventure development but here's the best advice I can give that hasn't already been given.

1: What does the Bad Guy want?
2: What will happen if the heroes never show up?

Once you know these two things, you become much freer in your ability to improvise.

Mgrancey
April 1st, 2013, 04:59
Yeah, one of the questions I always ask myself after I've got the initial setup is how can the PCs screw or twist things up and then plan from there, repeat that once or twice.

Also depending on how you set things up, unless you plan to railroad them be prepared for them to go off course from your plans.

grapper
April 1st, 2013, 16:11
Keep it simple to start, most pre-made modules are pretty straightforward. Once you and your group get comfortable with the rules, you can start trying out other things.

If you really want to get into story driven adventure, a few essays I found helpful:
Don't Prep Plot (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/4147/roleplaying-games/dont-prep-plots)
Three Clue Rule (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule)
Node-Based Scenario Design (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/7949/roleplaying-games/node-based-scenario-design-part-1-the-plotted-approach)

Mistindantacles
April 1st, 2013, 20:33
Those are excellent reads, grapper, for DMs of any skill level or experience. Thanks for sharing!

Answulf
April 13th, 2013, 03:19
Those are excellent reads, grapper, for DMs of any skill level or experience. Thanks for sharing!

I second that.

Always good to get insight in to how other GMs design. Those were well written with a lot of points I agree with - plus a few new things I hadn't really considered!

S Ferguson
April 21st, 2013, 17:24
One other thing about plot point adventures. Arrange the major encounters accordingly, so the minor encounters you've put in as flavor, "steer" the characters along the main plotline. I've always pictured an adventure as a river with large rocks in it. The characters "flow" along the river, usually not doing want you want them to, then wham, they hit a rock. Around the corner from that is more "flow"....

It's really about giving the illusion that the players have free choice. You, as a DM, dictate what choices are available.

Cheers
SF

Mgrancey
April 21st, 2013, 18:30
OOOHHHhhhhh! I like that analogy, especially if you consider, hearing the roar of a waterfall before you see just how bad it is!

I'm going to remember that for future use.

S Ferguson
April 21st, 2013, 19:27
Yeah, the waterfall would be the "grand slam," or the climax, and characters, if they survive the fall can drift along to the next adventure....

Cheers,
SF