PDA

View Full Version : Question about aborted install and wish to reinstall to different drive

Seeker1728
March 27th, 2013, 18:56
Hi; boy last night wasn't my night, I posted this under the Tavern section instead of here where I meant to post it. Sorry about the repeat post but I believe this is where its supposed to go. Again, apologies for mispost of the first one :(

After much weighing in on the pros and cons of several different VTTs I decided on FG2 and purchased a number of packets last night to begin my journey in this brave new world of online GMing. But I ran into a problem right off the bat with attempting to install my new shiny program. I was a bit overeager to get the software installed and had given the go ahead to install before realizing I had let it go with default install locations, which for me is a problem since I use a SSD as my C drive and the only thing that I put on that is system programs; recreation programs and data gets stored on my other HDs. I realized this mistake about halfway through and cancelled the installation, fired it up again and paid a little more attention this time, noticing filepaths that I'm a bit unfamiliar with.

Though I've installed a great many programs on other drives, either anxiety or something is making me overthink this as I recently ran into a problem with Hero Labs where it placed files in my C drive despite having been told to install it on the D drive. When I tried to fix that, all manner of hijinx followed which I'm still in the process of sorting out. So when FG2 had two file locations, years of computer use suddenly fled my thinking and left me feeling like a noobert. I did some searches but the results didn't give me enough to go on, and what I did find was several years old and I doubt applies anymore, hence why I'm making this post.

So in a more brief and to the point here's what I would like to do.

1) I halted the installation about halfway through by hitting the "Cancel" button. Is there anything I should be aware of and do first as a "housecleaning" before trying to install FG2 again?

2) My recent issue with Hero Lab left me questioning previous assumptions. I want to install FG2 to a different drive and if at all possible, I don't want *any* parts of it residing on my SSD drive. Could some wise Sage kindly show this lost soul how to fully install FG2 to a alternate drive? I use Win7-64x btw in case that spells out any special considerations.

Thanks

Trenloe
March 27th, 2013, 19:56
So in a more brief and to the point here's what I would like to do.

1) I halted the installation about halfway through by hitting the "Cancel" button. Is there anything I should be aware of and do first as a "housecleaning" before trying to install FG2 again?

2) My recent issue with Hero Lab left me questioning previous assumptions. I want to install FG2 to a different drive and if at all possible, I don't want *any* parts of it residing on my SSD drive. Could some wise Sage kindly show this lost soul how to fully install FG2 to a alternate drive? I use Win7-64x btw in case that spells out any special considerations.
Hi there and welcome to the wonderful world of FGII VTT gaming - hopefully you will have many hours of great gaming with it.

To your questions:
1) You should be able to continue on and do a new install without having to clean anything out. But, just to be sure, check your C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II directory and remove that if it exists before you install.

2) Do a new installation and select your location on whatever drive you wish. Once completed, start Fantasy Grounds and press the "Settings" button, a window will come up with the top 2 settings being "App Directory" and "Data Directory" - the app directory is where the FG executable file is located, and the 3.5e and 4e rulesets. The data directory is where other rulesets, extensions, modules, tokens, etc. will be located. Copy any current data from the data directory to a new directory and point the settings to look at the new directory.

That should get all of the info out of the C: drive. :-)

Seeker1728
March 27th, 2013, 20:38
Cool, thanks Trenloe, much appreciated! :D