PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Standard text editor

mattcolville
March 24th, 2013, 20:08
There's a lot of stuff I put up with because what the hell, but every once in a while I get really frustrated with the fact that FG2 doesn't work like any other application on any platform and I think "AAARRRGH WHY DOES IT WORK LIKE THIS?!" and come post here to vent. :D

I'd just like to see standard text editing behaviors implemented. When I double-click, I expect to select the word I'm clicking on. When I hit control-b and type, I expect to get bolded text. When I use control-backspace, I expect to delete the word to the left of the cursor.

I also get annoyed trying to grab the edge of a frame. I often miss and gosh it would be nice if the border were somehow called out visually. Be nice if there were a 'minimize' icon so I didn't have to bring up a context menu to minimize a window.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2013, 20:45
I'm with you on a lot of these things. :-)

I also get annoyed trying to grab the edge of a frame. I often miss and gosh it would be nice if the border were somehow called out visually.
This is related to the graphics being used for the windows - if they have "fancy" borders (scrollwork for example) the graphics very often don't match to the actual edge of the window (although not visible in some areas). Some rulesets use straight borders, others don't and then have the issue you describe. An example of this is the 3.5E wood theme that is floating around (the 4E wood theme does not have the issue).

The main ruleset I use (3.5E) does not have this issue as window borders are straight. What ruleset and any theme extensions are you using where you see this issue?

I guess what I'm saying is - Ruleset/Theme developers: please keep this issue in mind when designing the graphics for resizable objects.

Moon Wizard
March 25th, 2013, 02:41
I wish I could use some sort of standard underlying rich text control for the data. It would make things so much easier. That said, I am chipping away at those capabilities with v3. (Shift-click selection for formatted and standard text fields, undo for formatted text fields, direct formatted text field editing (no edit mode), formatted text table editing)

Every shortcut is a batch of code that needs to be written. ;)

I have actually looked at a few libraries to see if I could commandeer a standard rich text control, but they are all tightly tied to their visual output which stops me from using in FG. So, baby steps...

JPG

mattcolville
March 25th, 2013, 19:39
I'm with you on a lot of these things. :-)

This is related to the graphics being used for the windows - if they have "fancy" borders (scrollwork for example) the graphics very often don't match to the actual edge of the window (although not visible in some areas). Some rulesets use straight borders, others don't and then have the issue you describe. An example of this is the 3.5E wood theme that is floating around (the 4E wood theme does not have the issue).

The main ruleset I use (3.5E) does not have this issue as window borders are straight. What ruleset and any theme extensions are you using where you see this issue?

I guess what I'm saying is - Ruleset/Theme developers: please keep this issue in mind when designing the graphics for resizable objects.

I'm using the 4E basic theme and the issue isn't the straightness of the borders.

When you're editing a Story entry, for instance, there's a difference between "whitespace you can grab to move the frame" and "whitespace for typing," but there's no visual indicator for these. There's no border.

mattcolville
March 25th, 2013, 19:44
I wish I could use some sort of standard underlying rich text control for the data. It would make things so much easier. That said, I am chipping away at those capabilities with v3. (Shift-click selection for formatted and standard text fields, undo for formatted text fields, direct formatted text field editing (no edit mode), formatted text table editing)

Every shortcut is a batch of code that needs to be written. ;)

I have actually looked at a few libraries to see if I could commandeer a standard rich text control, but they are all tightly tied to their visual output which stops me from using in FG. So, baby steps...

JPG

Cool! Keep up the good work!

Torgaard
April 1st, 2013, 17:54
Cool! Keep up the good work!

Ya, that is good news. I've added my .02 on "the Wish List" on this issue actually, so I'm with ya on editing capabilities, though mine are less short-cut stuff and more along the visual improvement line (fonts, sizing, color, tables maybe, etc).

It may very well bring a tear to my eye the day a semi-robust Rich Text Editor type of thing makes the cut. It's minor, it's kind of a fluff thing, I'd be the first to push it off to next next version if it meant choosing between it and like light sources or something really cool, but it's just something I've always wanted. :o