PDA

View Full Version : Why no print function?

daddystabz
March 19th, 2013, 04:13
I am playing in a Deadlands campaign and we are seasoned characters. I would really love to have the ability to print my character sheet since I've accrued so much now but there is currently no functionality for that.

Does anyone know if FG II will ever allow me to print my character sheet?

Leonal
March 19th, 2013, 04:33
There is a suggestion on the FG2 suggestion page for printable character sheets.

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40883

daddystabz
March 19th, 2013, 04:37
How long has it been suggested? Any idea if they are considering this?

phantomwhale
March 19th, 2013, 05:18
Characters can be exported into XML - that's probably step one.
Perhaps transforming that XML to import it into a character management program (like Herolab, or the Wild Card Creator from Kickstarter) could conceivably be step 2,
and then use the print functionality from those apps would be step 3.

As for actual printing from FGII, it would need to be a core thing, so the link Leonal posted would apply. Got to be honest, it's a pretty low requirement from my perspective. Some keen developer could do something with the exported XML though to allow this ?

daddystabz
March 19th, 2013, 05:29
I think it is a pretty high thing to have personally. I lost a character sheet once in FG because of a glitch and lost tons of stuff. If I would have had a sheet printed it would have been much easier to rebuild him.

This is pretty basic stuff and is a weakness of the software....especially paid software.

players in my Monday night Deadlands game all wish we could print our character or at least download a PDF copy.

I didn't see how to export a character sheet to xml.

Leonal
March 19th, 2013, 05:41
One alternative in the meanwhile is to keep the stats elsewhere, too. E.g. in Google Docs or Evernote (or Hero Lab if you use that).

I find this is useful, especially between sessions, as you can tweak and plan between sessions much better than what's stored in FG, and can then easily update next session when needed.

Trenloe
March 19th, 2013, 13:40
I didn't see how to export a character sheet to xml.The GM needs to do that. It's not available in older rulesets, but most newer ones. For Savage Worlds use the right-click menus "Export Character to File" and "Import Character from File" in the "Character Selection" window. Or type /exportchar <character name or leave blank to export all characters> and /importchar in the chat window.

daddystabz
March 19th, 2013, 13:54
Thank you very much.

The GM needs to do that. It's not available in older rulesets, but most newer ones. For Savage Worlds use the right-click menus "Export Character to File" and "Import Character from File" in the "Character Selection" window. Or type /exportchar <character name or leave blank to export all characters> and /importchar in the chat window.