PDA

View Full Version : Lighting mood color schemas

Ikael
March 17th, 2013, 17:02
Just got wondering what lighting mood options people have provided for their ruleset. Most commons that everybody seems to provide is the DAY (no changes), NIGHT (FFFFB8A4), FIRE (FFB1C6F4) and FOREST (FFE0FDE6). For Unicore ruleset I did extends light schemas to contain 4 different daytime coloring: MORNING (FFEFDFBF), DAY (no changes), EVENING (FF82C6F4) and NIGHT (FF998571, maybe too dark). Also FIRE (FF5577FF) and FOREST (FFD0FFD6) were included in.

I would like to have the four daytimes color schemas back in use and will provide them in SWFI (unless we manage to put them in core SW, hehe).

What color schemas other have defined?

dr_venture
March 19th, 2013, 05:57
I'd love a color setting for rainy/stormy day - a bit darker than day, with less color saturation... which I'm assuming you can't do with FG, correct?

Griogre
March 19th, 2013, 09:21
The colors are hex values dr_venture so you can do pretty much any color your want. Mind that in some ruleset color fonts you may not be able to read the text in extreme cases.

grimm182
March 19th, 2013, 17:26
Would be nice that when adding the mood it brought up the dice color chooser interface also.
I know alot of moods would be extreme...but to each their own. :)

Hell-add red
Drow- add purple
Fog - add grey
underwater- green/blue
ect...

Ikael
March 19th, 2013, 17:33
Would there be an artistic and adventurous soul wandering somewhere who would be willing to tryout different lighting moods for Savage Worlds ruleset? -- I could provide simple extension where the artist soul could easily setup several lighting moods and the extension would contain some samples on how all possible fonts looks like in different frames. -- Thereafter I could include similar feature into SWFI extension.

grimm182
March 19th, 2013, 17:35
I wont be able to test for 5 hours (at work)..but willing to help any way I can!

Zeus
March 19th, 2013, 19:54
I wonder if rapidly changing the mood colour using two contrasting colours would provide pseudo flashing of the desktop? Anyone ever tried it?

I can see flashing the mood colour potentially augmenting current play cues (ring bell etc) for round turns. I guess it could also potentially add ambience to those dark and stormy nights ...

@Ikael: one other colour scheme suggestion - cyanotype for ice caverns.

Ikael
March 19th, 2013, 21:06
Currently I am developing new toy: Font-Frame Sampler extension. This is very simple one where developers can define ruleset's fonts and frames and thereafter user can define by clicking which frame would be windowclass's frame and which will be control's frame. All fonts will be rendered into the window so you can match how they fit there. In addition lighting setup can be defined and applied in use with a click of button. This tool is mostly for those who want to create graphics and try them out. The extension is not ruleset dependent. I will be posting it within an hour

Ikael
March 19th, 2013, 21:56
Here is the tool: Font-Frame Sampler (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18459)
Now... if an artist soul would like to help me define some new and nice lighting moods I would be very glad :)

Personally I would love to have the four daytime lighting moods again: Morning, Day, Evening, Night, but I am very open to any ideas such as Rainy, Snowy etc

dr_venture
March 20th, 2013, 05:32
Please post the hex results up here, as I might be up for putting some of them into the C&C ruleset. I'd much rather start with something that another developer thinks is good rather than starting from scratch.

Ikael
March 21st, 2013, 17:33
I am far from knowing anything from these, but when trying out just for fun I found these quite interesting color schemes

Script Notice: System: #FFFFFF Window: #B6CEB6 Control: #FFFFFF Content: #FFFFFF
Script Notice: System: #FFFFFF Window: #C7B26F Control: #FFFFFF Content: #FFFFFF
Script Notice: System: #FFFFFF Window: #91C3DC Control: #FFFFFF Content: #FFFFFF
Script Notice: System: #FFFFFF Window: #AAB6A2 Control: #FFFFFF Content: #FFFFFF
Script Notice: System: #FFFFFF Window: #999999 Control: #FFFFFF Content: #FFFFFF
Script Notice: System: #FFFFFF Window: #aaaaaa Control: #FFFFFF Content: #FFFFFF

Have no idea yet what they would be presenting... :D
... and yes there is a button in the tool which wil print your current color selection into console for easy copy-paste purposes :)

S Ferguson
March 25th, 2013, 15:14
OK. I'll bite. What color schemes do you need the artwork for?

Ikael
March 25th, 2013, 15:54
Primary aim is to get 4 color schemes to represent different daytimes: Morning, Day, Evening and Night. Currently in 99% ruleset there is only Day and Night. I would love to have the two additional to increase the atmosphere

S Ferguson
March 25th, 2013, 16:07
And what shape do you want them in, square, rectangle or circle? I just ask because it might be interesting to play with the shapes, as well and if it's square or rectangular, they might stack easier if this becomes an extension.

Ikael
March 25th, 2013, 16:50
shapes? I don't get what do you mean with shapes?

S Ferguson
March 25th, 2013, 17:02
In SW, for example, if you're hosting a game, and you click on lighting you have circular icons from which to set the lighting: day, forest, fire and night. Just wanted to know if you want to try something different. The set from the Ars Magica ruleset, are rectangular and has evening, day fire, night, and forest, and evening, the only one it's missing is morning, which I added to it a short while ago. They are really nice but rectangular in their shape, not circular.

Ikael
March 25th, 2013, 17:18
In SW, for example, if you're hosting a game, and you click on lighting you have circular icons from which to set the lighting: day, forest, fire and night. Just wanted to know if you want to try something different. The set from the Ars Magica ruleset, are rectangular and has evening, day fire, night, and forest, and evening, the only one it's missing is morning, which I added to it a short while ago. They are really nice but rectangular in their shape, not circular.

Ah yes! I was actually thinking not to use images in lighting as I want it be easy to everyone to register new lighting moods. Instead of images I would render a box which has the same color as the lighting mood and has title there.

S Ferguson
March 25th, 2013, 17:26
Ah yes! I was actually thinking not to use images in lighting as I want it be easy to everyone to register new lighting moods. Instead of images I would render a box which has the same color as the lighting mood and has title there.

O.K. then I'll need the octal colors (or even easier RGB :) ) for each "mood" you're thinking of adding. and the names of each "entry."

Ikael
March 25th, 2013, 17:40
O.K. then I'll need the octal colors (or even easier RGB :) ) for each "mood" you're thinking of adding. and the names of each "entry."

And actually I am also planned doing this icon thing in programmatical way, so there is no need to prepare icons for this, all can be done in LUA which gives the best flexibility here.

What was my original question is that I am not so good with color schemes, and I would approciate if somebody could try out what hex color would be the most suitable to represent 4 day times and also check that fonts and frames are not suffer from that color scheme.

S Ferguson
March 25th, 2013, 17:42
Actually, you could fill boxes with a gradient from your color scheme and put text in it directly through code. If you already have the colors picked out, it's definitely easier to do it through code.

S Ferguson
March 25th, 2013, 17:42
I'd be willing to try them out.

S Ferguson
March 25th, 2013, 17:44
And Lua with Metatables and the global functions give you even more freedom.:)

Ezldog
April 28th, 2017, 15:36
Please post the hex results up here, as I might be up for putting some of them into the C&C ruleset. I'd much rather start with something that another developer thinks is good rather than starting from scratch.

Use this chart to find the perfect color scheme for your encounter:

https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/html-color-codes.htm

The command IN-GAME is "/lighting ######" where ###### = the color code from the rapidtables charts.