PDA

View Full Version : Creating NPCs

chipmafia
March 16th, 2013, 17:23
What is the easiest way to create NPCs?

I've had some problems using the FG interface, particularly getting powers/damage/etc to work. They end up being non-clickable by the interface.

I'm basically familiar with some of the rules (putting "damage" after die roll, format for attack rolls, etc) and I worked with the 4e parser some years back.

My goal is to create useable NPC's for use in a 4e, with those NPC's being personal creations. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2013, 19:32
The rolls in the power descriptions will only become clickable if they are in the exact same format as the ones in the Monster Manual. There is a parser under the hood of the ruleset that extracts which words imply rolls, and then allow the rolls to be double-clicked or dragged. Of course, this means that they need to be in a specific word order to allow the parser to identify them.

Regards,
JPG

chipmafia
March 16th, 2013, 23:05
That's what's so interesting is that they are in the correct order. I used the in-game NPC creator, but I think I'll just create a mod with my creations on it. I think it may be easier to do it that way anyway.

Moon Wizard
March 17th, 2013, 02:35
Can you post a power description that is not highlighting correctly for the rolls from the NPC creator? Perhaps they have been modifying the format over time. The original parser was written for the MM and MM2 as published.

Cheers,
JPG

chipmafia
March 17th, 2013, 04:26
Can you edit an NPC once it's created? I can't even copy/paste the material that I put into it, or change it even if I wanted to. I may be doing something incorrect.

I'm coming back to FG after a few years of being away.

I still have that original MM parser. Will it stil work?

chipmafia
March 17th, 2013, 04:59
Figured out what I was doing; I was putting the attack/damage into the wrong slot. It needs to go into the Description box.

I also figured out how to edit them. Thanks for your help