PDA

View Full Version : Hero System?

Seeker1728
March 16th, 2013, 01:22
Hi, old fart of a gamer stumbling onto this cool new concept of VTT. I spent most of the morning looking through the threads and watching tutorials regarding FGII and noticed sadly that my preferred ruleset has no representation, namely the Hero System. I have two questions regarding that based upon the community knowledge:

First is there such a community made ruleset available for the HS that I've missed similiar to how there is one for GURPS and M&M?

Second: If there is not, are there any tutorials on how one would go about setting one up? I'm not terribly programming savvy but I have a unwitting victim whom I will enslave to do the work if need be ;)

Lysander
March 16th, 2013, 03:31
I started this thread on this very subject awhile back. Don't think it got real far, but there should be some other like minded individuals you can converse with if they're still interested...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7399&highlight=hero

Seeker1728
March 16th, 2013, 06:47
Thanks for the reply there Lysander, guess there was some interest but it lost steam. In the meantime it seems like my cohort in this has decided to give M&M3E a shot. Not sure how well that will do since the two systems are very different (heck of a lot of less number crunching at least) but if he's willing to give it a shot I guess I can too. Then...if he doesn't like it....muahahahahaaa!!! I pounce the trap on him and have him code Hero for FG!

tdewitt274
March 16th, 2013, 06:52
I did a little messing around. Issue that I found was the Combat Tracker. It goes in two dimensions while every other CT is one dimension (Rolemaster kind of comes close).

Tiqon
March 16th, 2013, 09:38
I'm a Rolemaster AND Hero system fan. I agree the combat tracker would be the worse ting to make. I have not worked on editing anything in fg2 yet, but it's on my list ;) (With so many other things). Hero system was the choice for me if I wanted to make changes. At the time though, I'm just happy to have time to play at all.

Blackfoot
March 16th, 2013, 14:29
I've been working on a HERO/Champions extension for the 3.5 ruleset. It's coming along pretty well.. making use of a lot of the cool 3.5 features but it is still a distance from complete.

Tiqon
March 16th, 2013, 15:07
Sounds awesome Blackfoot :). Do tell if you need something! I don't have much time to actually work in anything, but input, ideas and testing I would gladly provide.

Redwulfe
March 16th, 2013, 15:56
I am putting most of my efforts towards Shadorun at the moment but hero system has always been one of my favorite game systems. If you need or want some help with this count me in. My programming experience is medium, though I am not familiar with LUA yet and I am learning to code for FG.

Red

Dayson
March 16th, 2013, 19:02
This is one of my big three, Savage Worlds, Gurps, and Hero. I am really looking forward to the completed project. If someone runs a weekend game in Hero, count me in.

Lysander
March 19th, 2013, 23:58
I can see where the tracker would be a problem due to a 3 tier sort. 1st speed sort, then dex sort to break ties, followed by the dreaded 'd6' roll off. Too bad I suck at computers (I even have a 5pt Psych Lim - 'Sucks at computers') or I could help work that out.

Good luck, rah rah and all that. Don't you now feel more inspired!? :D

tdewitt274
March 21st, 2013, 03:29
I don't think that would be the hard part. Sure, you could represent it with a fluid list, but I think a two dimensional CT would be better. Especially since aborts rely on future actions, it would be nice to see the future actions shown.

Blackfoot
March 21st, 2013, 15:39
The design for the tracker I was looking at hopefully involved a 'holding' space where characters not involved in the phase would still listed but would not be in the rotation for actions.

Blackfoot
July 20th, 2013, 14:51
Made a bit of progress with this last night. (killed a few bugs.. woo woo!)
Still working on the character sheet... need to come back to some of the bigger issues. I based my ruleset off of the 3.5 ruleset as I figured it would have the most current 'FG' code included within it... all good so far. I'm currently trying to tackle reversing the way success calculations are done... since d20 games work on > the target number and HERO works on < the target number... fun fun.

Dayson
July 20th, 2013, 14:55
Made a bit of progress with this last night. (killed a few bugs.. woo woo!)
Still working on the character sheet... need to come back to some of the bigger issues. I based my ruleset off of the 3.5 ruleset as I figured it would have the most current 'FG' code included within it... all good so far. I'm currently trying to tackle reversing the way success calculations are done... since d20 games work on > the target number and HERO works on < the target number... fun fun.
Blackfoot,
Good news, please let me know if you need help play testing.

Tiqon
July 20th, 2013, 15:13
Blackfoot,
Good news, please let me know if you need help play testing.

Yes, very nice to hear! Let me know too if you need some playtesting. What version of Hero system are you working on?

Blackfoot
July 20th, 2013, 15:39
I've been working on 5th Edition (and all the prior editions really since I'm not making modules and the rules/functionality are all basically the same)..
6th Edition really upsets me as they, for some reason, feel that they needed to reinvent the game and call it HERO.

Tiqon
July 20th, 2013, 16:32
Good to hear. I would like to stick to 4th and 5th (have them both). I have not looked into any other versions...

Blackfoot
July 23rd, 2013, 23:50
Here's a screenshot from the latest version of the 'Main' tab.

I've put the senses and defenses on there although I'm think that perhaps the senses might be better resolved as actions that could be added dynamically on the 'Actions' tab. I'm still working out what the best uses for the prime real estate might be. I am thinking that a basic Strength bonus value might be good to have there somewhere as well.

Lysander
July 24th, 2013, 02:57
Excellent work! Glad to see there is progress on HERO, and I agree there really is no 6th edition of HERO, just like there's no 4th Edition D&D... ;)

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2013, 20:46
My work on this project is on hold until the CoreRPG ruleset in FG 3.0 is released. I have already begun testing for compatibility with what I have so far and it looks good, but I'm a bit worried about starting any new pieces until I know what the final version of CoreRPG is going to look like... by the sound of things.. that's not too far off so hopefully this will start moving again shortly.

I am going to need to figure out how to convert my extension to 3.5 over to an inheriting ruleset.. but I don't think that's going to be too big a deal.

Blackfoot
November 7th, 2013, 15:11
This project is moving forward again in 3.0.
I got the stat and sense rolls working properly and now I need to carry that code over to the skills page.
I'm working on the combat tracker, and added an extra 'damage status' box on the main page of the character sheet.
I've been largely ignoring Endurance because I don't use it in my game but I'm thinking that I might be able to handle it 'easily' so I will probably explore adding it.
Current Issues:
Main Tab: All functions working properly except for targeting combat rolls, connected to the tracker.
Abilities Tab: Almost everything is working here, just needs to be prettied up a bit.
Skills Tab: Displays skills properly but is not doing the proper calculations.
Inventory Tab: Straight from CoreRPG.
Notes Tab: Straight from CoreRPG.
Actions Tab: Was working well in 3.5e/2.9 version... now hosed.
Party Sheet: Translating 3.5e Party Sheet to use Champions calculations and statistics.
Combat Tracker: Coming along. Needs:
Connect links to Character Sheet information.
Attacks.
Defenses.
Deal with 'Speed' Turn pacing.
Create automatic Initiative Rolloff for same Dex.
Add Endurance with a Preference to toggle it off.

Overall I need to tie my functions back to CoreRPG more and change them over from 2.9 references.

Tiqon
November 7th, 2013, 17:23
Nice to hear there is progress :).

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2013, 17:09
I made some more headway.
Character Sheet:
Abilities Tab:
Functional but 'Detail Boxes' are not displaying.

Skills Tab:
Automatically adds only 'Everyman' skills to skill list.
Making proper calculations for skill value.
Determining SUCCESS or FAILURE on rolls.
Cycles 'Skill Types': Untrained, Familiarity, Background, and Trained

Party Sheet:

Main Tab: Displays correct values for Characteristics but not 'rolls'.
Skills Tab: Displays correct values for Skill Rolls but does not determine 'SUCCESS' properly.
Includes vestigial values from 3.5 that need removal or conversion to something useful.
Inventory Tab: No Adjustments.
Order Tab: No Adjustments.
XP Tab: Needs Love.

Blackfoot
November 30th, 2013, 00:44
I've been puttering around with creating an appropriate desktop for HERO/Champions.. here's what I've come up with so far.
Tweaked from the 4e Desktop.

Blackfoot
November 30th, 2013, 02:18
Update:
Character Sheet:
Abilities Tab: Detail button displaying properly.
Revised button graphic needed.
Missing box type in detail windows header.
Module integration unknown, no 'power' modules created yet.

Party Sheet: Main Tab: Displays correct values for Characteristics AND Characteristic Rolls.
Skills Tab: Displays correct values for Skill Rolls AND determines 'SUCCESS' properly.
Includes vestigial values from 3.5 that need removal or conversion to something useful.
XP Tab: Needs Love.
Options to turn on player access to parts of the Party Sheet not available.

Combat Tracker: Added a variety of features here.
Displays current initiative (DEX by Default), BOD, STU, BOD damage, STU, damage
Offense Displays: SPD, DEX, OCV, ECV, and attacks.
Defense Displays: DCV, PD, ED ... can add rPD, rED, MD, FD, PowD
Speed sorting for initiative adjustments needs to be created.

NPCs: Still very basic from CoreRPG... need to be updated.

Blackfoot
November 30th, 2013, 04:45

Trenloe
November 30th, 2013, 06:13
Might I suggest you make a new thread for updates on the ruleset you are creating? It is much too important to leave 3 pages down in another thread! :)

Blackfoot
November 30th, 2013, 07:08
Might I suggest you make a new thread for updates on the ruleset you are creating? It is much too important to leave 3 pages down in another thread! :)
I'm not sure I could make a more appropriate thread.. isn't this thread about creating a HERO System ruleset... hence the 'Hero System?' Title. :)

Trenloe
November 30th, 2013, 17:47
I'm not sure I could make a more appropriate thread.. isn't this thread about creating a HERO System ruleset... hence the 'Hero System?' Title. :)
Yes, it is a thread about "Hero System" - but *nothing* in the thread even mentions the creation of a ruleset being done by you until the second page. The mentions on the first page relate to a defunct development so it would be easy for someone to see that and not read past the first page and see the excellent work you are doing. Anyway, it was just a suggestion to get you more exposure - and your ruleset development more exposure. It would be too easy for a prospective Hero GM to come to the FG forums and see that there is no ruleset for Hero available and that there is no active development. Don't hide great info like this pages down in a related but old/uninspiring thread. Make a new thread "Hero System Ruleset - Active Development for FG 3.0!" and link it from this thread so that people who have subscribed to it will know where to look and new people coming to the forums will see and think "Oh look - there is a Hero System ruleset being actively developed for the upcoming FG 3.0 - isn't that great!). :)

Dayson
December 15th, 2013, 10:36
Yes, it is a thread about "Hero System" - but *nothing* in the thread even mentions the creation of a ruleset being done by you until the second page. The mentions on the first page relate to a defunct development so it would be easy for someone to see that and not read past the first page and see the excellent work you are doing. Anyway, it was just a suggestion to get you more exposure - and your ruleset development more exposure. It would be too easy for a prospective Hero GM to come to the FG forums and see that there is no ruleset for Hero available and that there is no active development. Don't hide great info like this pages down in a related but old/uninspiring thread. Make a new thread "Hero System Ruleset - Active Development for FG 3.0!" and link it from this thread so that people who have subscribed to it will know where to look and new people coming to the forums will see and think "Oh look - there is a Hero System ruleset being actively developed for the upcoming FG 3.0 - isn't that great!). :)
I agree with every word of this!

Blackfoot
December 29th, 2013, 17:29
OK, fine. I started a 'new thread' .. but now I need a POINTER (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20112-Champions-HERO-System-Ruleset-FG-3-0) to it so that folks who have been following this thread can find it and know about it... and don't you always read the last post first anyway? A lot more useful than reading the first post in a thread... you can set your board options so it always puts the most recent post first. :)

BTW... there's new progress.

Updates on this project can be found here now:
HERO System/Champions Ruleset Info and Screenshots (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20112-Champions-HERO-System-Ruleset-FG-3-0)