PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Deck Woes

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 02:03
I just finished purchasing the adventure deck. It loads as a module fine, I'm not loading any other extensions with it, and it fizzles. The module seemingly loads fine, I can open it, view the cards, but that's where it ends. It doesn't appear in the Tools sectio, and the cards don't reflect on my character sheets. Anyone have this problem? Or more preferably a solution?

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 02:06
As mentioned in another thread, this is both a module and an extension - you will need to enable the extension to make full use of the module. Documentation is available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/AdventureDeckDocumentation.pdf

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 02:14
Both the extension and module are in their respective places, but I've still got the same problems, the character sheets lack the extra tab, and the deck doesn't show up in the toolbox.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 02:30
Does the Adventure Deck section now appear in the "Options" window?

Can you provide a screen-shot of the chat window just after the campaign has loaded? This will help with identifying any version issues.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 02:32
Yes. Everything down to the preferences show the "extenule" is working but still no luck with the toolbox or the character sheets.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 02:33
Screen-shot of the chat window just after loading the game?

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 02:35
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but there are no new or extraneous graphics, and nothing appears in the chat box indicating it's loaded.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 02:38
Silly question - have you enabled the "Adventure Deck" extension? This is shown in the screen-shot on page 2 of the documentation under the "Usage" section.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 02:40
Yes, and just that extension. I haven't added anything on top.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 02:44
And a line in the chat window doesn't show up - this should say something like "Adventure Deck Extension for Fantasy Grounds II"? See this video at 1:15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvYvF_-DfE&feature=youtu.be

If you can see the extension to enable it before loading your campaign then it is in the right place and it recognises that it is a valid extension to load, so unless the extension has corrupted it should be OK. Are you using the base, unmodified, Savage Worlds ruleset?

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 02:50
Yes. And that's what I can't understand. Yhere is no mention of the adventure card deck in the chat window, or the tool box. Everyhing else indicates it has loaded. I can't tell if the file is corrupt. I'd assume it wouldn't load. The Installer it came with put everything in the right place.

phantomwhale
March 13th, 2013, 05:20
What's the output when you type "/version" on the chat window ?

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 15:25
Savage worlds 3.3.1 (Build 7). If that helps.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 15:29
The problem also happens externally, if someone, say implements the adventure deck, from another computer and I sign in it doesn't show up either.

Griogre
March 13th, 2013, 18:58
You don't get an Adventure Deck version? I'd try uninstalling and re-downloading or if you linked in the updater to your board account you might just be able to uninstall and run the FG updater.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 19:59
Nope. Nothing shows up but the module and preferences for it. I uninstalled and reinstalled under the FG Updater but am still not getting anywhere. Any furthur help would be much appreciated.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 20:08
It seems like the module is working but the extension isn't.

Doswelk
March 13th, 2013, 20:09
You couldn't see the deck yesterday with me either!

Mumble?

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 20:11
Nope. Nor the extra tab. Although I could view the module part from yours as well. It seems to be the same problem.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 20:48
OK. Problem solved. Fantasy Grounds has to be in "Live" mode in order for the Adventure Deck to function properly. It can't be in "Test" or "Dev."

phantomwhale
March 13th, 2013, 22:23
Hmmmm - wonder if there is an incompatibility with the latest development version of FGII - will keep an eye on this. If anyone can confirm more, that would be great.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 22:32
That's what I was thinking. As most people don't know about Test and Dev modes, and operate under Live by default. I'm also beginning to wonder if it's the cause of a few other errors I've encountered, playing with those running 2.9.2. Like maps not scaling properly,and script errors when something is "dropped" to my screen.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 22:46
That's what I was thinking. As most people don't know about Test and Dev modes, and operate under Live by default. I'm also beginning to wonder if it's the cause of a few other errors I've encountered, playing with those running 2.9.2. Like maps not scaling properly,and script errors when something is "dropped" to my screen.
You really should not be using FG in a test or dev setting when running games for players or connecting to games that are not using the same setting and expect it to work the same. Running in these modes uses a different FG executable to the live setting and so could well give you issues.

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 22:58
You really should not be using FG in a test or dev setting when running games for players or connecting to games that are not using the same setting and expect it to work the same. Running in these modes uses a different FG executable to the live setting and so could well give you issues.

I have learned my lesson; and who hasn't learned form the school of hard knocks before? :)

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 23:05
...and nothing had happened in the past. It was only the Adventure Deck extension that brought the ideas of inconsistancies in the versions. Otherwise I've been running it in test mode, since January, with no indications anything was wrong. In fact it worked beautifully.:)

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 23:23
The test and dev options are there so that people can try either fixes for specific issues or test upcoming releases to see if they work correctly and to give extension developers chances to see if their extensions will work with the next release. If you have any issues while running test or dev you should revert to live and see if the issues occur there as well.

If they only appear in the test setting then it is good to let the relevant developer know about the issue - so they can either look at it now, or prepare to look at it when the test/dev version goes live. After all, that is what the test/dev versions are primarily there for - to allow people to take the conscious choice to try out a per-release and help identify issues before they go live.

Running test/dev for a while is not a good idea - as mentioned above. One week it might work fine, but then an update might break something and cause issues - be there problems connecting to a live GM or ruleset problems you as a GM will see. It may appear to be working perfectly, but there could always be some things that are not working the way they should be...

S Ferguson
March 13th, 2013, 23:34
Mmmm. Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of code. Well at least I did catch an extension error though the process and will run in live mode for my sessions now. I use the test and dev setttings for extension writing myself (not wanting to be lagging behind when they finally arrive). It actually never occured to me that I was still running in it!

Moon Wizard
March 17th, 2013, 02:39
Just posted an update on v2.9.3 to address the extension issues. Thanks to phantomwhale for helping me identify.

Please give it a try, and check out your extensions to make sure they are working as intended.

Thanks,
JPG

S Ferguson
March 17th, 2013, 16:29
Gave it a try. It works beautifully now. Thanks Moon for clearing up that issue - apparantly if it hadn't been caught it would have been a lot worse.

Cheers,
SF