PDA

View Full Version : The Accursed halls

hawkwind
March 11th, 2013, 22:32
The Accursed Halls -Level one of Thornkeep
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1001

Pathfinder adventure adapted for society play worth 3xp and 4 prestige

Some times society members get to do some free lance work, what could possibly go wrong!

Long ago, the evil Nhur Athemon-a powerful wizard and
devotee of the demon lord Abraxas-fled Azlant with
his household and slaves, making the distant Echo Wood
his home in exile. He raised a tower atop the very hill where
Thornkeep now stands. Ever fearful of discovery by his enemies
in Azlant, the wizard-lord raised webs of illusion and magical
wards to conceal his presence. Ultimately, however, Athemon's
efforts were to no avail-in time, his enemies succeeded in
divining his location. Azlanti wizards and soldiers broke into the
hidden stronghold and destroyed Athemon and his followers,
leaving little trace of the outcast's stronghold aboveground.
However, the soldiers missed the workrooms and conjuring
chambers under his palace.
Over thousands of years, Nhur Athemon's wards slowly
failed, but enough magic remained to make the hidden vaults
a place of darkness and horror. The humans of the nearby
lands avoided Brokenhelm Hill, but the goblins ofZog delved
eagerly, seeking the power they sensed sleeping here. Goblin
miners cut tunnels to reach parts of the complex buried
during the long-ago destruction of Nhur Athemon's palace,
and goblin adepts eagerly experimented with the magical
properties of the halls, often causing their own demise.
Over the last few centuries, adventurers explored the
Accursed Halls numerous times. Old treasures stolen by the
goblins ofZog and one or two ancient prizes from the days of
Nhur Athemon still wait to be found in the Halls Under the
Hill, but few suspect the truth of the place: Nhur Athemon's
ancient spell-wards are living things with a dark, tangible
awareness, and they still protect the place. The halls routinely
conjure dangerous monsters or animate the remains of those
who perish in this place, and traps dismantled centuries ago
slowly reset themselves. Indeed, the Halls even hunger for
treasures taken away years ago, and find ways to draw them
back by influencing the minds of those who live nearby.
These halls are truly accursed, and few dare their depths and
return unmarked.

March 22 8pm GMT first session of three to 4 hours second session Tuesday the following week but I can be flexible on the second session date

Levels 1-2 only

Server address/alias young monk cowardly ninja

if you are interested in playing please state your availability or preference for thedate of the second session

Mgrancey
March 12th, 2013, 00:02
Would you usually be running about 8 pm GMT on Tuesdays? If so I should be able to make it to them.

Any ideas on what people will play? I have several lvl 1 and lvl 2 characters that I would put into these on regular basis.

Though I gotta point out, its only for Character level 1 or 2, not 3.

hawkwind
March 12th, 2013, 00:29
thanks for the correction, as to what to play well it's a low level combat focused dungeon crawl, in am happy to run the second season on Tuesday if every one can make it but in am as I said flexible about the date of the second game.

Killian
March 12th, 2013, 19:39
Is there a chance of switching the second session from Tuesday to Wednesday or another day? Can't make next Tuesday and don't want to take a space from somebody that can do both.

hawkwind
March 12th, 2013, 23:19
what are the preferences of the other three people who have signed? I am happy to run on either tuesday or wednesday

RobG
March 13th, 2013, 08:20
Either is good with me, as long as we start at 8pm or later. I usually don't get home from work before 7:30

Swiss_Mercenary
March 13th, 2013, 16:57
I certainly would be interested, especially as it is at a good time for me.

Tuesday or Wednesday makes no difference.

Can bring a Level 2 Pal or Level 1 Tengu (either as Monk or Cleric of Besmara).

Swiss

Killian
March 13th, 2013, 19:55
Ok I'll submit my character I'm sure it'll work out and I know for sure I can make Friday.

I'll be using Towoen, level 2 rogue files submitted below.

RobG
March 13th, 2013, 20:13
Hmm if Swiss has a level 2 Paladin he can bring to the table I might wait and create a new character to fill whatever gap we have, rather than play my level 1 Paladin.

hawkwind
March 13th, 2013, 22:03
there is a chance that we will finish the adventure on Friday night, we should be able to do the majority of the first level so if an player only makes the Friday session they should pick up at least two xp. I will go with what suits the majority of players as to when the next season is held.
I should have the first three levels prepped by next week so on the second session players may have the option of leveling and starting the second level

borusa32
March 14th, 2013, 21:44
I'll be up for a bash of this on Friday 22 March. I was thinking of an Ulfen warrior based on Wulf Sternhammer from 2000AD

RobG
March 14th, 2013, 23:51
Ok I went ahead and put together this somewhat odd Cleric :-)

Eyrie the Aasimar Evangelist of Shelyn (Level 1)

While she is not preaching the love of Shelyn or channeling energy she can poke things with her Glaive from the second rank.

Fau
March 15th, 2013, 00:02
Hello all

I'd like to play if there is still room

Here's Fauk the Level 1 Tengu Illusionist

Tinculin
March 15th, 2013, 01:40
Michael and Viserion attached

Mgrancey
March 15th, 2013, 02:31
Hmm, after looking at Calendar I think I might bring Locien who I've rebuilt as a Lore Warden (fighter archtype).
Still need to redo him in FG, so gimme a day to get that done.

Locien is
18411-4
Shadow Lodge
Xp: 5
Fame/Prestige: 9/9
Gold: 529, last sheet is boon without any purchases on it.

Swiss_Mercenary
March 19th, 2013, 13:15
OK so taking my 2nd level Paladin Nigel.
I hope you have lots of healing for him ;)

Or I could take my brand new Inquisitor of Asmodius :D

hawkwind
March 20th, 2013, 13:10
Mgrancey and Swiss-Mercenary please could I have sight of your chronicle sheets prior to the game, Swiss mercenary , you need to sign up for the game. See you all on Friday!

Swiss_Mercenary
March 20th, 2013, 14:03
When you say sight, you mean the last one or one of the last ones?
Signed up now.

Mgrancey
March 20th, 2013, 15:57
Hmm. Seems to finally accept from tablet

Swiss_Mercenary
March 20th, 2013, 18:29
Here is my last chronicle, and if you might wonder why it is number 6 and I am still 2nd, it is because I have a boon.

avro5731
March 20th, 2013, 21:11
Ok for those of us that are slow, what day is this game?:confused:

Swiss_Mercenary
March 20th, 2013, 21:39
Ok for those of us that are slow, what day is this game?:confused:
Friday, @ 8pm GMT so 21h00 Central European and, I think; 3pm Eastern.

Mgrancey
March 20th, 2013, 23:19
Yep, though if you put it in the calendar, it auto adjusts for people so long as they have their timezone setup.

hawkwind
March 21st, 2013, 11:35
Hmm. Seems to finally accept from tablet
I am having problems reading it clearly, and can only make out your gp, as i am a trusting kind of GM when it comes to society matters I will let it ride.

I might be only able to run the game for three hours on friday night and will run the second part of it next tuesday or wednesday. We will discuss which day on friday

hawkwind
March 21st, 2013, 11:42
I have yet to see any thing from Ironbringer so If Fau still wants to play you are first choice as a replacement

hawkwind
March 21st, 2013, 11:42
I have yet to see any thing from Ironbringer so If Fau still wants to play you are first choice as a replacement

hawkwind
March 22nd, 2013, 16:29
not heard any thing from Fau so there is a space for the first person to post a character sheet and a chronicle sheet. The server is up

Fau
March 22nd, 2013, 16:35
hi I'd still like to play thanks didn't see the message

Mgrancey
March 22nd, 2013, 18:22
Haven't seen Voip setup, are we using FG II community teamspeak?

hawkwind
March 22nd, 2013, 18:29
no problem

hawkwind
March 22nd, 2013, 21:04
Haven't seen Voip setup, are we using FG II community teamspeak?
yep

just got to put my five year to bed and I will be online

JohnD
March 22nd, 2013, 21:48
Sorry for butting in here, but I feel compelled to offer a suggestion - you should enter your game into the scheduling function on your campaign page... then everyone will know the day and start time in their own local time zone (assuming they have their settings right).

Trust me... this really helps remove a heap of the uncertainty.

Swiss_Mercenary
March 23rd, 2013, 02:06
Ah we forgot to roll my saving throws against the Energy Level drain.
Energy drain (1 level, DC 14)
So when we reconvene.

Swiss

hawkwind
March 23rd, 2013, 08:08
Two dice rolls away from character death! If the suspense is killing you I am happy to set up some kind of online verifiable dice roll today via a site like invisible castle or set up a 5 minute session before Wednesday on fantasy grounds for you to roll your saving throws. Though I am sure the other players will get some entertainment value from watching you succeed in making both your saving throws. :-)

Mgrancey
March 23rd, 2013, 13:36
Well, are we going to retreat and try to get him some help like a Heal check or get Restoration cast (380 gp)? I'll help pay part or loan enough to cover it if necessary.

hawkwind
March 23rd, 2013, 15:00
Well if Nigel makes both of his saving throws you won't have to but if he fails both rolls he is dead and a restoration spell or even a raise dead spell won't be much good but the party will have another opportunity to fight a wight

Mgrancey
March 23rd, 2013, 15:56
?? Thought someone had suggested temporarily retreating back to town to get aid for Nigel. Which is what I was asking about. Even then he has 24 hours before resolving the neg levels, so we could wait to get them fixed.

hawkwind
March 23rd, 2013, 20:28
Having reread the rules I think it's quite clear that once you have negative levels equal to your current level you are dead though you can recover some the negative levels after 24 hours assuming you are not already dead and transformed into a new wright. You don't "resolve" 24 hours later you resolve them straight away in the form of a saving throw which is what we failed to do at the end of the session and if the saving throw is failed then the negative level takes effect immediately with one of the effects being death and transformation in to a Wight if you have negative levels equal to your level

Killian
March 23rd, 2013, 21:14
I got disconnected before saying goodbye but many thanks for the game and looking forward to seeing you again on Wednesday. Fingers crossed we can aid with Guidance or other buffs and get Nigel past those saving throws.

Mgrancey
March 26th, 2013, 01:51
So Nigel is currently Schrodinger's Cat?

And to confirm, Wednesday 8 gmt? Could you put in the calendar just so I'm sure about schedule?

Swiss_Mercenary
March 26th, 2013, 02:42
Well, my fort save is not tooo bad (try +11) so here is hoping.
Only have to make one of the two and I am alive.

A retreat to the town is a good idea anyway as we would start with full abilities and spells for the rest of the dungeon.
Remember that there is no time limit here, well I hope ;)

hawkwind
March 26th, 2013, 09:37
I have amended the calendar and thanks for the offer of some smaller rez maps Mgrancey (check your pms for email address to send them to)

There is a sort of time limit in that I don't really want to play to far past 11pm gmt. I am happy to run a third session although it wouldn't be for a week or two as I am on holiday the day after for a week and will be well away from a computer with fantasy grounds and that would mean your characters would either have to drop the adventure and possibly not get full xp and prestige or be “locked” into it until we play it again. I will be running the second and third levels of Thorn keep back to back ,with hopefully weekly sessions ,so there is an opportunity to participate in a mini PFS campaign should players choose to or just play the parts that suit them

Trenloe
March 26th, 2013, 15:37
Well, my fort save is not tooo bad (try +11) so here is hoping.
Only have to make one of the two and I am alive.
You guys may want to read the first couple of posts in this thread: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mzbl?Energy-Drain#1 and also re-read the description for the energy drain ability: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/universalMonsterRules.html#_energy-drain

The save mentioned is to remove the negative level/s after 24 hours - there is no save at the time: "This attack saps a living opponent's vital energy and happens automatically when a melee or ranged attack hits."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Energy drain is very rough on low levels. :-(

EDIT: Another thread of use where the Paizo creative director James Jacobs clarifies that there is no initial save to the initial level drain: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2kdgw?Pathfinder-Energy-Drain#6

Mgrancey
March 26th, 2013, 17:19
In the end its up to GM to make the call as best as he can to the rules.

In all honestly, I am not too sure as the rules tend to be very literal in how to interpret them, and they plainly talk about permanent and temporary negative levels, which I interpret as being two separate but similar conditions.

In truth having a wight in something that explicitly states its for 1st level characters, is frankly aiming at a near TPK since only 1 attack would be needed to kill a character and it had enough AC and HP to make it bad not to mention that fight being CR 4 aimed for APL 1 (Epic) meaning its just on the scale for suggested fights for them.

So, Nigel is Schrodinger's cat until Hawkwind makes a call, if he says dead, has to make saves for Permanency, or has 24 hours or situation changes; I think there is enough confusion discussion/argument and that its his call. Also please recall, that the rules can be fudged, this is in both the Core book (at the beginning) and the PFS guide (under Chap 7.)

Trenloe
March 26th, 2013, 18:14
In all honestly, I am not too sure as the rules tend to be very literal in how to interpret them, and they plainly talk about permanent and temporary negative levels, which I interpret as being two separate but similar conditions.
I agree with you, it is not obvious - but a little bit of research in the PRD gives the following entry in the glossary: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html#_energy-drained Which is:

Energy Drained: The character gains one or more negative levels, which might become permanent. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, he dies. See Energy Drain and Negative levels for more information.
This is saying that these negative levels might become permanent (so they could be temporary at this point) and then goes on to say that if these negative levels are the same as hit dice (level) then the character dies. I think, from this, it is clear that this is referring to any type of negative level (temporary or permanent).

My previous post has shown how the PC does not get a save when the Wight initially hits and does the level drain. So, 2 hits from a wight on a level 2 character = death. No saves. Sorry. :( Unless there is something I'm missing?

Also please recall, that the rules can be fudged, this is in both the Core book (at the beginning) and the PFS guide (under Chap 7.)
I certainly wouldn't say the rules can be fudged for a PFS game - do what you want for a normal game, but not for PFS. Chapter 7 of the PFS guide (page 35) states:

As a Pathfinder Society GM, you have the right and responsibility to make whatever judgements, within the rules, that you feel are necessary at your table to ensure everyone has a fair and fun experience. This does not mean you can contradict rules or restrictions outlined in this document, a published Pathfinder Roleplaying Game source, errata document, or official FAQ on paizo.com. What it does mean is that only you can judge what is right for your table during cases not covered in these sources. Scenarios are meant to be run as written, with no addition or subtraction to number of monsters (unless indicated in the scenario), or changes to armor, feats, items, skills, spells, stats, traits, or weapons.
As this is being run as a PFS game and discussed in a public forum we have to try to make sure that the rules are adhered to - especially for things such as a PC death. I would say that the rules (if all entries in the PRD are reviewed) are pretty clear. But, I don't want to spoil your game any further - I'll leave the final decision up to the GM (unless he requests PFS adjudication from me).

In truth having a wight in something that explicitly states its for 1st level characters, is frankly aiming at a near TPK since only 1 attack would be needed to kill a character and it had enough AC and HP to make it bad not to mention that fight being CR 4 aimed for APL 1 (Epic) meaning its just on the scale for suggested fights for them.
That's a completely separate conversation! But, yes, I tend to agree with you... :)

Mgrancey
March 26th, 2013, 20:39
Suggest reading about death on same page, currently the situation isn't that bad and pretty sure Swiss Merc doesn't fall under newbie rule, however there is a fight that could perform a TPK as well.

Scenarios are meant to be run as written, with no addition or subtraction to number of monsters (unless indicated in the scenario), or changes to armor, feats, items, skills, spells, stats, traits, or weapons.

I will point at that scenarios are balanced to not try for TPK, but not modules. So if a GM wants to modify a module I think that is entirely reasonable, but I'll admit I'm not a rules lawyer; I don't memorize or research to find out exactly how a rule has to interpret them.

But it does talk about fudging stuff, one method or another, under that section. Admittedly, its more focused on convention than home play.

Tinculin
March 26th, 2013, 21:16
Gotta say I agree, a CR4 encounter in a lvl 1 dungeon is a little overkill and would require some serious co-ordination for a fresh party to overcome.

Saying that, there are a heap of ways to beat a wight without choosing melee combat & by the sounds of things, it was completely avoidable if we didn't try to steal the gems (that appeared to me at least to be the trigger).

Having not played the scenario before, time will tell if the fight is avoidable or not.

The ruling does appear to of been clarified on the Paizo website.

Unless the monster or effect description SPECIFICALLY SAYS you get an initial saving throw... you don't get an initial saving throw.

Effects that grant initial saving throws against an energy drain effect are pretty rare. I actually can't think of any that are in the rules right now, in fact.

Ruling taken from here (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2kdgw&page=1?Pathfinder-Energy-Drain).

and:

Energy Drain (Su) This attack saps a living opponent's vital energy and happens automatically when a melee or ranged attack hits. Each successful energy drain bestows one or more negative levels (the creature's description specifies how many). If an attack that includes an energy drain scores a critical hit, it bestows twice the listed number of negative levels. Unless otherwise specified in the creature's description, a draining creature gains 5 temporary hit points for each negative level it bestows on an opponent. These temporary hit points last for a maximum of 1 hour. Negative levels remain until 24 hours have passed or until they are removed with a spell, such as restoration. If a negative level is not removed before 24 hours have passed, the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 draining creature's racial HD + draining creature's Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature's descriptive text). On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level becomes permanent. A separate saving throw is required for each negative level.

Format: energy drain (2 levels, DC 18); Location: Special Attacks and individual attacks.

Link (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2kdgw&page=1?Pathfinder-Energy-Drain)

Tinculin
March 26th, 2013, 21:31
With the above, I will add, that I believe all players (DM included) we not aware of this, and as the Wight did not crit (energy drain happened over a period of a few rounds), I'd imagine that there would of been a whole different set of events that would of occured.

While I think the rules indicate saves should not be allowed, I think it would be hugely unfair to go back in time and disallow saves because as players who had initially retreated from the fight, had we known the above rules we had access to restoration (from the nearby town), and the affected player had the opportunity to withdraw safely from the fight before gaining a 2nd negative level.

The players (myself included and this was after discussion with the GM), were under the impression that regardless of how many temporary negative levels were gained, so long as we went back to town and bought restoration spells, no-one was going to die as a result.

Swiss_Mercenary
March 27th, 2013, 09:00
I am not a new player, that is correct, but still learning the Pathfinder rules.

Now this is the first time in PF I had ever come across an Energy Drain situation and was under the impression that the temporary negative levels could not cause character death, and you did have the time to get them removed.

It was late and I was very tired, not really great playing conditions, but these things happen and maybe I was not thinking straight.

Would it have changed what I did, well I would have probably switched to full or partial defence so that the Wight would have needed a nat. 20 to hit me, but the character would have stayed and held the Wight allowing the others to take it down, as did happen.
Ok, if it had been another of my characters, he would have pulled out of combat and ran, but that is just him ;)

As to why a Wight is in a level 1 module, ask the writer, again, being the benevolent DM that I am, it would never have crossed my mind to have such an encounter where it is a one hit, one death and potential TPK situation.

Now, I do have the module as I was part of the Kickstarter, but have refrained from reading the relevant parts since I am playing it, so I have no idea about monster tactics etc. That is up to Hawkwind, as DM, to know the module and the encounters, but as stated, he is free to run them how he likes within the rules, as he as DM interprets them.

Having floated around the web since last week, The Accursed Halls, and Thornkeep, are being flagged as very dangerous and potential TPK, now I can see why.

Now it is up to Hawkwind to make his call and that we will see tonight.

hawkwind
March 27th, 2013, 09:45
As I recall no one mentioned the possibility of an immediate saving throw at the time and the rules discussion occurred after the second hit on Nigel. I remember it being very late for me ( I had been awake since 5am it was now 12.30 am the following day)and Mgrancey giving the correct rules interpretation (i.e death) which was disputed by some players I then remember saying to end the game and check the rules later. I was about to post the news of Nigel s death when Swiss beat me to it stating he was entitled to a saving throw. I then thought I had got it wrong so I checked the PRD in a bit more depth and found this

“Energy Drain and Negative Levels

A creature with temporary negative levels receives a new saving throw to remove the negative level each day. The DC of this save is the same as the effect that caused the negative levels.”

I read the bit about "a creature with temporary negative levels receives a new saving throw " and misread the line and the word "new" seem to imply that meant you received a saving throw at the time of being hit. It appears I was wrong, rereading the line now it is clear it means a new throw each day.

In a home game I may have let this ride but it’s a Society game so I can’t fudge rules or make encounters easier or harder than written so its death with new Wight appearing on 1d4 rounds . Nigel could have backed of after the first negative level hit when no one was talking about the rules but he didn’t it. As for it being a hard encounter yes it is but the party ran away the first time they encountered the Wight and got away and must of realised that the Wight wasn’t pursuing them. The simple deployment of a grappling hook could have avoided the encounter at this point.

Swiss is welcome to continue playing in the rest of adventure with a new 1st level iconic character for no credit. I have taken advice on whether he could start a new character and receive a new credit but apparently the Paizo PFS data base explodes if you have a player with two characters in the same game

Swiss_Mercenary
March 27th, 2013, 10:19
You have my reasoning above, I would have played differently had I known the full possible outcome.

You have made you call, I am out, enjoy the rest of the adventure.

Mgrancey
March 27th, 2013, 14:11
Grappling hook? I'm not sure how that would work.

Ehh, mostly I wasn't sure if you were trying to maybe "make-up" for mistake in tactics or something, I'll do that sometimes if I screwed up in combat by forgetting something or using the wrong tactics to balance stuff out rather than having to retcon the mistake. Doesn't happen often, but usual rule I use is to adjust and keep going.

Swiss_Mercenary
March 27th, 2013, 14:42
The players (myself included and this was after discussion with the GM), were under the impression that regardless of how many temporary negative levels were gained, so long as we went back to town and bought restoration spells, no-one was going to die as a result.

This is the impression I was under, and like I said I would have acted differently had I known the truth.

Mgrancey
March 27th, 2013, 15:23
Which was why I argued for the right for the GM to adjudicate on the rules. And yes, I know perfectly well about PFS and how strict you guys get over it, but since there was a misunderstanding over the rules in planning I would hope a mercy would be applied.

hawkwind
March 27th, 2013, 15:52
I never made a mistake as such apart from being unsure of the rules, rules that are available to every one else at the time, if players choose to miss interpret the rules and base their tactical decisions upon misunderstanding of the rules it is not my problem thats down to player skill. When I had to give a ruling based on the two interpretations being offered up by players I stopped play and sort advice and came to a decision that still stands. I'm sure Swiss would do things differently of he had fully understood the rules but I never encouraged any other interpretation of the rules, you all did that by your selfs. I know this leaves a bad taste in every ones throats but I am trying to stick to spirit of society rules as they have been explained to me on very recently on PFS boards by various 3 and 4 star PFS GM's. I know that character death is very rare in society games but its a tough adventure and the rewards are great as well, the survivors will go up a level and has just under 2k on their chronicle sheets for 7 or 8 hours play.

Mgrancey
March 27th, 2013, 17:12
If I gave the impression that I thought you made a mistake, I apologize that wasn't my intention to come off that way. I could tell you were tired by the time we got there and I wasn't entirely paying attention to what was going on as I was also working on some school stuff at the same time.

I do feel if the rules are misunderstood before combat, leniency is entirely reasonable and justified, especially for those still learning. Mind you, I think that if the GM knows that the mechanics are misunderstood before hand they are responsible to correct the players knowledge as well. To be clear this is not aimed at you as you said you were unsure as well.

I'm not saying your right or wrong on your decision, as I was pretty sure he was dead after that 2nd level too, but between being harsh and being merciful I will focus on the fact that we are working together to have a good time and rule from there, but that is my preference.

hawkwind
March 27th, 2013, 17:50
Your advocacy for your fellow party members does you credit.

Thanks for maps,did you scan your self or did you have the official pdf? Mine were scanned from my physical book hence the huge file sizes.

The server is up by the way

Mgrancey
March 27th, 2013, 18:10
From the pdf. Takes a couple of steps. For PC map, I copy it and it drops all labels and most markings, which I then paste into OneNote for storage as I get all images at one time. After that I copy it and then in GIMP I create from Clipboard [File -> Create -> From Clipboard (Shift + Ctrl + V)] then I crop the image down and resize it to adjust all squares to as equal an size as possible.

For a GM map I use OneNote to get a screen clipping then make it a a smaller usable size.

Swiss_Mercenary
March 27th, 2013, 18:35
I never made a mistake as such apart from being unsure of the rules, rules that are available to every one else at the time, if players choose to miss interpret the rules and base their tactical decisions upon misunderstanding of the rules it is not my problem thats down to player skill. When I had to give a ruling based on the two interpretations being offered up by players I stopped play and sort advice and came to a decision that still stands. I'm sure Swiss would do things differently of he had fully understood the rules but I never encouraged any other interpretation of the rules, you all did that by your selfs. I know this leaves a bad taste in every ones throats but I am trying to stick to spirit of society rules as they have been explained to me on very recently on PFS boards by various 3 and 4 star PFS GM's. I know that character death is very rare in society games but its a tough adventure and the rewards are great as well, the survivors will go up a level and has just under 2k on their chronicle sheets for 7 or 8 hours play.

Sorry, but I am unable to accept this.

I was totally under the impression that taking the second hit would just give me another negative level and I would have to pay for 2 restorations.
If I had known that taking the second hit would kill the char, I would have gone fully defensive and risked the natural 20 while gaining time for the others to get into position.
I was tired, and I remember asking for the consequences, and got the just need to be healed answer, though I have no idea who from.

I have had characters die on me before, so not too bothered, but here is was from a rules misinterpretation, which you could hear us talking about and nothing was done to correct the error.

Do not care about the chronicle, money etc, but here a mistake was made and because of it my character died and now I am being told that I have to accept it.

You may see it another way, but this is how I see it, my gaming decision was made under the rules as I understood them at that point.

hawkwind
March 27th, 2013, 19:14
It was not a impression I ever gave you. I have made my decision if you don't like I suggest you take it up your friend the UK venture captain

Swiss_Mercenary
March 27th, 2013, 19:37
deleted.....

Mgrancey
March 27th, 2013, 20:46
Heading out to get some snacks, should be back in time for game.

hawkwind
March 28th, 2013, 08:58
Thanks for turning and playing last night, you all receive 3 xp and 4 prestige and something like 1900gp, I'll post provisional chronicle sheets this afternoon, on my previous track record I will make the odd small mistake so post any errors plus any additional expenditure. The only expenditure i have current notes for is a scroll of restoration (lesser). I am flying to sunny Cornwall to fully experience the coldest spring time in the UK for 50 years for a week and i will finalise the sheets on my return and will set up a slot level 2 The Forgotten Laboratory. The provisional sheets should be good enough to get you in to a game and if any one has some problems in that direction I might possibly be able to do something about in holiday dependent on my internet connection.

Killian
March 28th, 2013, 09:37
Thanks again for running was great if dangerous! Cornwall has escaped most of the snow I'm going from sunny Devon to the blizzard tundra of Yorkshire :P

RobG
March 28th, 2013, 10:29
Yay! we lived. Thanks for running this Hawkwind, it was great though somewhat scary.

hawkwind
March 28th, 2013, 11:35
I have just checked society rules as per purchasing your scroll of lesser restoration and you do have to purchase of a cleric. The Paladin loop hole 2 closed some time ago

Swiss_Mercenary
March 28th, 2013, 14:11
Hope that you had a great time, only wish I could have been there with you.
Sorry if I got a bit upset before.

The question has been asked, well I need about a total of 6000 gp and I have about 2000gp, before the chronicle and that includes selling all the equipment I have.

So I would need a total donation of about 2000-2500gp from the other players.

This for a Raise and the Restorations needed.

hawkwind
March 28th, 2013, 14:35
Hate to be yet again the bearer of bad news

RAISE DEAD
School conjuration (healing); Level cleric 5
Casting Time 1 minute
Components V, S, M (diamond worth 5,000 gp), DF
Range touch
Target dead creature touched
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw none, see text; Spell Resistance yes (harmless)
You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than 1 day per caster level. In addition, the subject's soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject's soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw.

Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The subject of the spell gains two permanent negative levels when it is raised, just as if it had been hit by an energy-draining creature. If the subject is 1st level, it takes 2 points of Constitution drain instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can't be raised). A character who died with spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised. A spellcasting creature that doesn't prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell.

A raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current HD. Any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1. Normal poison and normal disease are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases and curses are not undone. While the spell closes mortal wounds and repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole. Otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life. None of the dead creature's equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell.

A creature who has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can't be raised by this spell. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can't be raised. The spell cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age.

In short you new need a Resurrection spell on the plus side you don't need a restoration spell

RESURRECTION
School conjuration (healing); Level cleric 7
Components V, S, M (diamond worth 10,000 gp), DF
This spell functions like raise dead, except that you are able to restore life and complete strength to any deceased creature.

The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature's body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature's body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.) The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of prepared spells. The subject of the spell gains one permanent negative level when it is raised, just as if it had been hit by an energy-draining creature. If the subject is 1st level, it takes 2 points of Constitution drain instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can't be resurrected).

You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. You cannot resurrect someone who has died of old age. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can't be resurrected.

and of course I am not familiar with the rules for lending money to other players but my DM's character would be prepared to lend 1300gp if allowed, just to show no hard feelings

hawkwind
March 28th, 2013, 14:42
the chronicle sheets, sorry i may have mislead players accidentally on the total gp

hawkwind
March 28th, 2013, 14:58
more bad news

from the society handbook

"Spells that are 7th level or higher are not available
from spellcasting services. Spellcasters capable of casting
such spells are quite rare, and as such, cannot simply be
bartered with for higher-level spellcasting services. The
only exceptions to this rule are any 7th-level or higher
spells listed as available to be purchased by your faction."

and there is of course the small 10,000gp cost of the spell component

Trenloe
March 28th, 2013, 15:50
"The only exceptions to this rule are any 7th-level or higher spells listed as available to be purchased by your faction."

This is a bit unclear, but this basically means that if you can use PP to get spells cast (table 5-4 on page 27 of the PFS guide) you can pay the gold for it. Resurrection is a spell on that list. So, you can buy it if you have the 10,910 gp spare! :-o

Only PCs who took part in the game can contribute money (not prestige) to help raise/resurrect a dead party member. They can also sell off dead PC possessions at 50% of their value to help get money.

Swiss_Mercenary
March 28th, 2013, 16:42
Well then, I can afford a Raise, but not a Res.

Killian
March 28th, 2013, 20:20
Looking good for the moment here are my sales/purchases:

Sold: masterwork Backpack (50%) 25GP

Bought: Scroll Lesser Restoration: 150GP (Used)
Handy Haversack: 2000GP

Mgrancey
March 28th, 2013, 20:59
When you get back could you sign this chron sheet, Since I play RL alot, I need mine to be more readable and printable.

hawkwind
March 28th, 2013, 23:57
When you get back could you sign this chron sheet, Since I play RL alot, I need mine to be more readable and printable.

Pleased to oblige

Mgrancey
April 1st, 2013, 17:59
Wednesdays aren't best for me as I have a regular campaign 3h hours later and that's a big chunk of Wed.

That's okay though, know how often we'll end up playing?

hawkwind
April 4th, 2013, 10:10
We could try a Thursday instead if current players can make it. I would like to try for a session next week and then go for weekly sessions until the level is completed then have a break for a week. What do current players think? There is space for a new player. The second level is dangerous though perhaps not as much as the first. The third level is starting to get a reputation on line as being challenging!

RobG
April 4th, 2013, 10:45
Fau and I are happy with any weekday other than Friday.

Mgrancey
April 4th, 2013, 10:48
Thursdays could be doable: personal suggestion, make a calendar for Thornkeep, then make calendar events for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday; specify play length (3 hours, 4 hours, etc); ensure others understand that your not running all 3 days just using them to select date to play on; accept original players first then allow replacements.

Players select the days they can join and that will let you know which day is best(so far it seems like only I have issue for Wednesdays, if that's so continue on without me.) As is Locien might be running at top end for rest of play as I am running to 2 RL slots this weekend.

hawkwind
April 5th, 2013, 23:00
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1008

As suggested a new calendar entry, I'm back from my holiday now and ready to finish the chronicle sheets and prepping the next level and the small matter of dealing with Swiss's formal appeal. O:-) . remember to send me your new XML files. Existing players will have priority but there is room for one more player

xaoslaad
April 7th, 2013, 03:05
I signed up. Is a L3 suitable for the next part? If not I can create a new character.

hawkwind
April 7th, 2013, 07:56
A level three character is fine

I turned on my PC for the first time yesterday to find that my MBR had been corrupted , i tried all sorts of things to get my windows seven installation to work to no avail , luckyly i had an old vista installation on another hard drive which is working fine, I have managed to rescue the old fantasy grounds files and place them in a reinstalled version of fantasy grounds but on didn't get a chance to do the chronicle sheets. I did find the chat logs for the last game. They show that Nigel was hit in consecutive rounds and that the wight rolled high enough to by pass any full defense options that Nigel could of taken. I will be sending a copy to Swiss

Killian
April 7th, 2013, 10:02
Hey there. Just to let you know that Thursday is no problem for me hope the other guys can make it and your computer problems weren't too serious. I'm attaching a new .xml for Towoen after he's levelled up and an up to date Chronicle sheet for Thornkeep Level 1 with purchases et all for you to sign.

hawkwind
April 7th, 2013, 10:22
Typical I had just completed yours!

hawkwind
April 7th, 2013, 10:32
This for Swiss

it is the chat log of every thing that happened in the chat window. you can open it most browsers and do a search with ctrl F for "Wight" to get to your characters death

Nigel received his first negative level in round 9 on a roll of a 18
and his next on a roll of a 22 in round 10 so if Nigel had done a full defense he still would of been hit a second time. You may wish to pass this to the society officer dealing with your appeal

xaoslaad
April 8th, 2013, 04:04
One more question - I know you typically split games. Will this one be split with the intention to play on the 18th? If so I'll have to drop, since I won't be able to play since I'll be travelling.

Mgrancey
April 8th, 2013, 04:42
got schedule for next week, I won't be able to make it either.

hawkwind
April 8th, 2013, 15:12
The game will be split over two sessions with the second session being next week, it doesn't have to be on the 18th though particularly if Mr Grancey can't make it, What days can you make next week Xaosalad?

xaoslaad
April 8th, 2013, 16:21
I should be able to do any but Thursday I think. Friday would be particularly good, but I'm sure I can make time on mon-wed too.

hawkwind
April 8th, 2013, 17:51
I will try and make it work for everyone so welcome aboard

hawkwind
April 8th, 2013, 17:54
What are you playing xaosalald? Not a Paladin I hope as they have been unlucky my games recently

Killian
April 9th, 2013, 09:57
Nah, do it you'll break the streak!

hawkwind
April 9th, 2013, 14:44
I just remembered that due to my computer woes and as a result, having to reinstall Fantasy grounds on a different hard drive, the much beloved cowardly ninja web server address is no more, I'll post the new address tonight when i get home and could players old and new start posting your chronicle sheets ( if you are playing a new character) and your xml file prior to the start of the game

oh and we now have six players!

hawkwind
April 9th, 2013, 17:40
good fang soft cave which is kind of lame

JohnD
April 9th, 2013, 19:07
good fang soft cave which is kind of lame
You can keep re-generating the alias until you get something you like.

RobG
April 9th, 2013, 19:53
Here's Level 2 Eyrie and Fauk, along with Krook the Raven.

Looking forward to Thursday, looks like we've got some more fighty characters in the group, wicked.

hawkwind
April 9th, 2013, 20:35
Thanks Rob, I'm looking forward to the game, I like a good old fashion dungeon crawl. I have a pass out on the 21st now so I can put my hard earned DM credits to good use

Mgrancey
April 9th, 2013, 20:36
I am free Tuesday, wed, and friday next week, but only tonight and thursday this week.

Locien is now lvl 4 though I won't be able to upload stuff until later

Mgrancey
April 9th, 2013, 22:08
Picked up Imp. Dirty trick

what kind of things are you okay with?
Right now my list of ideas is

Spit in eye/eye jab - blinded
Throw powder -- blinded or sickened
Low blow/cheap shot/diaphram blow/ butcap/haft blow -- sickened
bola/rope/cut belt to drop pants -entangled
ear clap/helmet bash -- deafened

hawkwind
April 10th, 2013, 06:49
Is this a miss post?

Mgrancey
April 10th, 2013, 07:00
Miss post?

hawkwind
April 10th, 2013, 07:58
I don't understand the post about the imp? I am guessing it is meant for another thread and was posted in this thread by mistake

Mgrancey
April 10th, 2013, 09:20
Nah, Dirty Trick isn't a hard set of rules, its a bit of a compromise between PC and GM and is meant to cover as its name implies Dirty Tricks, so you can say if something works/doesn't work about using it. Some were examples from dirty trick explanation, others are thoughts on ways I am hoping to use it.

Trenloe
April 10th, 2013, 17:25
I don't understand the post about the imp? I am guessing it is meant for another thread and was posted in this thread by mistake
Imp = improved dirty tricks, I believe. I was confused as well, an Imp with dirty tricks?

Mgrancey
April 10th, 2013, 17:33
Imp = improved dirty tricks, I believe. I was confused as well, an Imp with dirty tricks?

If you look there is actually a '.' which, as far as I know, is used to show short hand was used to shorten a word. Like Improved Initiative can be shortened to Imp. Init.

hawkwind
April 10th, 2013, 17:37
suddenly it all makes sense, there's me thinking i was on the wrong side of the Atlantic Cultural divide

Tinculin
April 11th, 2013, 08:58
.xml's attached

You have my last chronicle sheet.

hawkwind
April 11th, 2013, 16:20
The server is up, good fang soft cave!

Tinculin
April 11th, 2013, 20:27
Purchases (will update as we go along!)

- Silver Lance (190gp)
- Cold Iron Lance (20gp)
- Oil of Bless weapon (50gp)

Mgrancey
April 16th, 2013, 22:30
WOHOO!! Boon for us, but damn that 10% will hurt.

hawkwind
April 17th, 2013, 12:24
Shame you can only cash it in on PFS adventures and not in sanctioned adventure

Mgrancey
April 17th, 2013, 13:41
Where is that rule? Checked the pfsopg and didn't see that anywhere.

Trenloe
April 17th, 2013, 15:08
Where is that rule? Checked the pfsopg and didn't see that anywhere.
The boon itself:

With the exception of Tier 12+, this boon may only be activated while playing a Pathfinder Society Scenario, and cannot be used during a sanctioned adventure in the Pathfinder Modules or Pathfinder Adventure Path lines.

hawkwind
April 17th, 2013, 18:01
a shame

server up

hawkwind
April 19th, 2013, 16:40
next session

Show discussion

Just been checking the module, doing my GM prep thing and i may have ended things a bit prematurely last session as there isn't a whole lot more of the second level to play.

What I propose to do, with your agreement, is next session is to do the remaining bits of level 2, let the party level up and re-equip and start level 3 straight away. Therefor if this is acceptable to you it would greatly speed things up if you level up before hand in preparation and have planned what you are going to spend your lovely loot on. i won't have time to do chronicle sheets on the night or in advance(still prepping level 3) but I can tell you now the gold you will earn from level 2 (3771 gp) and show what you get of your next chronicle sheet

which is........

Unidentified Unguent: You laid claim to one of the few intact flasks of mysterious alchemical origin in the laboratory. As a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, you may apply or consume the substance to gain a random, short-lived mutation for 1d4+3 rounds. All mutations are supernatural abilities. Roll a d6 to determine the effects of the mutagen. On a result of 1 or 2, you rage as per the rage spell, but are sickened for 1 round after the effect ends. On a result of 3 or 4, your natural reach increases by 5 feet but you take 1d2 points of Dexterity damage when the effect ends. On a result of 5 or 6, you gain the ability to, as a standard action, breathe a single 15-foot line of acid dealing 4d6 points of acid damage (Reflex DC 15 for half damage) but dealing 2d6 points of acid damage to you when the effect ends. When you use this mutagen, cross the boon off the Chronicle sheet.

arcanolembic (2,000 gp; may use freely as a consumable while adventuring in Thornkeep)
bird feather token (300 gp)
pearl of power, 1st level (1,000 gp)
potion of cure moderate wounds (300 gp)
unguent of timelessness (150 gp)
wand of acid arrow (12 charges; 1,080 gp, limit 1)

RobG
April 22nd, 2013, 21:44
Cool, here is leveled-up Eyrie. She bought the following:

+1 Glaive 2308gp
Perl of Power 1000gp
Scroll of Air Bubble, Remove Sickness, Liberating Command, Protection from Chaos, Protection from Evil, Remove Fear, Comprehend Languages, Obscuring Mist 200gp
Scroll case 1gp
Alchemists fire 20gp

and sold her old Glaive for 4GP

Fau/Fauk will not be able to make the game this week and will probably have to drop out. She has gone to Israel for a while since her father passed away on the weekend.

hawkwind
April 23rd, 2013, 12:18
sorry to here Fau's news, I have accepted two potential players, who knows if they will turn up:)

hawkwind
April 23rd, 2013, 22:44
I'm having some computer issues again, I hope to have them fixed by tomorrow night, a drive (the one with all the FG stuff on it) disappeared from my partition table, I'm in the process of recovering it and I also have plan B partial back up solution to fall back on some fingers crossed. On a separate note i see the Team speaker server is down.........

hawkwind
April 23rd, 2013, 23:25
EaseUS Partition Master saved my skin. If I was to have any more boy children i would name one of them Easeus as it is i am going to build a super munchkin build PFS Druid who will slaughter all before him as soon as he gets to 5th level!

hawkwind
April 24th, 2013, 12:45
I note that the team speak server is still down and might be down tonight as well. I can do Skype and g google plus for audio, if the server is still down I will put my contact details for both in the chat box once I put the game server up

hawkwind
April 24th, 2013, 16:04
the team speak server is back up, the game server is going up now

Tinculin
April 24th, 2013, 18:53
Michael's purchases

- Silver Lance (190gp)
- Cold Iron Lance (20gp)
- Oil of Bless weapon (50gp)
- MW Lance -> +1 Lance (2000gp)
- Mithril Breastplate (4200gp)
- SELLING Chain Shirt (-50gp)
Total Purchases - 6410gp

Start Gold = 3198
ThornKeep Level 2 gold = 3771gp

Total Gold = 6969gp
Less Purchases -6410gp

Final Gold = 559gp

Killian
April 24th, 2013, 20:19
Many thanks again for running. Here's Towoen's .xml for Level 4. Prestige and Gold have not been added. Purchases are:

Sold: Masterwork Chain Shirt (50%) = 175GP

Bought: +1 Mithril Chain Shirt: 2100 GP
Tanglefoot Bag: 50GP
Oil of Magic Weapon: 50GP

hawkwind
April 24th, 2013, 21:31
killian we are giving you 5 minutes to rejoin other wise every one wants to wait a week cos they are scared sorry I mean cautious

hawkwind
April 26th, 2013, 15:04
Chronicle mistakes I mean sheets

Rose Claymore
April 26th, 2013, 15:23
I caught this in the game announcements thread and thought I'd drop in and see what you guys might need in a new player, and if there is still room for one. I currently have an alchemist, gunslinger, cleric, magus and a sorcerer in the 3-5 range, so unless it's pure tanking I can prolly got it covered. I'd really prefer to play my sorcerer, but he is mainly a social type who casts spells as an after thought, and not sure how much social skills will come in handy in Thornkeep. Everyone is just as fun to play though (especially my alchemist).

hawkwind
April 29th, 2013, 12:45
Dust Raven, do you have light or full licence yet?

Rose Claymore
April 29th, 2013, 13:12
Not yet, but it's looking like I might have a full by the middle of May.

Tinculin
April 30th, 2013, 19:45
Don't we get 4 prestige from the level? my chronicle says 2?

hawkwind
May 1st, 2013, 09:34
Expletive! And I signed them as well , from now on I am going to provide a blank form with the rewards xp gold prestige etc on it and each player can fill in the own details and expenditure and I will sign the final form. I will correct these current sheets but that's what I'm doing in the future.

Mgrancey
May 1st, 2013, 12:43
That's just asking for even bigger issues, trust me already dealt with this, let me see if I can do a recording of my process and upload it.

RobG
May 1st, 2013, 13:11
That'd be great, I'm keen to know the best way to do this too.

Mgrancey
May 1st, 2013, 13:33
Not necessarily best, just an efficient method.

hawkwind
May 1st, 2013, 15:48
As ever the Guide to the Pathfinder Society on page 38 gives similar instructions to what I have proposed sharing the talk between the players and the GM. I am however open to suggestions

hawkwind
May 1st, 2013, 15:48
As ever the Guide to the Pathfinder Society on page 38 gives similar instructions to what I have proposed sharing the talk between the players and the GM. I am however open to suggestions

hawkwind
May 2nd, 2013, 17:29
Server up and ready for play, see or rather hear you at eight GMT

Trenloe
May 7th, 2013, 04:03
Moved the posts on completing chronicle sheets to it's own discussion thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18714

Sorry for hijacking your game thread hawkwind.

hawkwind
May 8th, 2013, 21:46
Fau's chronicle sheet

RobG
May 13th, 2013, 10:10
Thanks for Fau's chronicle.

Are we playing this week and if so what day? We need to level up right?

hawkwind
May 13th, 2013, 11:49
I have put Wednesday on the Calendar which is my preferred option as the Mrs is out but I could do Thursday if that is the only day some one can make. As to leveling up there is a chance that you will get to level so be prepared!

hawkwind
May 14th, 2013, 08:34
I have done new chronicle sheets for Wednesdays game with the correct prestige points, i will post them when you have completed the third level, pardon me for not posting them now but they contain spoilers and you haven't finished the adventure yet. You will have 4800 gold to spend so when in post the new sheets check them for accuracy and add any expenditure then post them back on the boards and I will then sign them off.

RobG
May 14th, 2013, 09:40
cool thanks man, that's a lot of gold, hope we live to claim it.

hawkwind
May 15th, 2013, 08:55
Dust Raven well be joining the party to make up numbers now he has a full licence, see you all tonight

Rose Claymore
May 15th, 2013, 13:40
Since it looks like I'll be able to play when you start your next dungeon/level/module/whatever's next, I've been giving some thought as to what character to bring. Here is what I have available:

Dust Raven: Gunslinger (musket master), level 3, tengu, kind of a wild wild west lawman/good guy mentality (mild but consistent damage but a bit of glass cannon).
Metropolis: Magus (bladebound), level 5, tiefling, the descendent of the union between a devil of Asmodeous and a cleric of Abadar, is currently "rebelling" by being as CG as he can (which ends up beng TN) (versitile but primarily heavy burst damage).
Odion: Cleric (Sarenrae), level 4, human, an Osirion doctor and skilled surgeon turned Pathfinder (dedicated group support/buffer and secondary damage output/sponge).
Silvermouse: Ranger (urban), level 3*, half-elf, a bounty hunter type with a two-bladed sword (*is currently level 2, but may be 3 after this Saturday) (heavy damage and battlefield control via trips).

I would love playing any of these characters long term, but my preference is the cleric just because I love clerics. I'm told the group already has a cleric so I'm open to any of the others depending on the groups needs.

hawkwind
May 15th, 2013, 16:52
the server is up "cold monk rich unicorn"

RobG
May 15th, 2013, 17:49
Metropolis: Magus (bladebound), level 5, tiefling, the descendent of the union between a devil of Asmodeous and a cleric of Abadar, is currently "rebelling" by being as CG as he can (which ends up beng TN) (versitile but primarily heavy burst damage).

I recon go the Magus ;-) Eyrie seems to be doing ok with the Clerical duties.

Killian
May 15th, 2013, 19:50
Also been looking through the chronicle sheet for part 2, sorry I didn't catch the errors but just two things to bring it in line:

Starting Fame: 12 Starting Prestige: 10
Starting Gold: 302GP

Rose Claymore
May 15th, 2013, 20:17
Dust Raven well be joining the party to make up numbers now he has a full licence, see you all tonight

Just out of curiosity, am I expected for today's game, or not until next week?

Mgrancey
May 15th, 2013, 20:23
I believe so

hawkwind
May 15th, 2013, 20:28
hey Dust raven feel free to turn up tonight, I think there is enough left for one xp and one prestige

Rose Claymore
May 15th, 2013, 20:52
Ok. What time?

RobG
May 15th, 2013, 21:03
We're playing at the moment :-)

Rose Claymore
May 15th, 2013, 21:15
Ack!

Um... okay then... if it's not too late:

Here's my last chronicle and my xml for Metropolis.

hawkwind
May 15th, 2013, 23:24
chronicle sheets, check them for accuracy add your spends and post them back and I will sign them, Dust raven, I will post yours over the week end oh Killian I may have to add the cursed spear :)

Killian
May 15th, 2013, 23:34
Thanks for the game here's my sheet :)

Rose Claymore
May 15th, 2013, 23:52
It was great to meet everybody, sorry I was so late in joining in. I feel kinda guilty receiving a chronicle sheet at all, even one with reduced credit. I did get to electrify a giant bug statue thing though, so there's that. :)

hawkwind
May 16th, 2013, 05:53
Talking of which I need to see your last chronicle sheet :)

Rose Claymore
May 16th, 2013, 05:58
Talking of which I need to see your last chronicle sheet :)
If you are asking me, it's attached above with my xml.

hawkwind
May 16th, 2013, 06:07
You may have noticed that there is no bag of holding our tan bag we'll Tower convinced that the rest of the party wanted to steal his precious spear placed over night in the bag of holding along with the bag of tricks.... The next morning he went to get his spear out of the bag of holding and the bag almost bit his arm off! Oops a bag of devouring! Fellow pathfinders will be talking about this incident for years to come! (minus one prestige point to remove curse)

Rose Claymore
May 16th, 2013, 06:12
Oh, while I'm thinking of it...

We're playing Midnight Mirror, which is for levels 4-7, in order to get everyone up to level 5 for the next level of Thornkeep, correct? If so, would that make the next level of Thornkeep for levels 5-7? If all of the brilliant deduction has me in the right direction, would it be alright if I bring my level 7 bard along when we start Thornkeep, and I'll keep playing Metropolis through Midnight Mirror?

I'm not overly fond of playing my bard in PFS with my local group, which is fond of min-maxing to the point of reducing support characters to little more than cheerleaders. But I've noticed not too many players in FG do that kind of thing. I'm not sure how often we'd need to charm (either via spell or skill) anything in Thornkeep, but Linnell makes a great secondary healer/buffer and general skill monkey, and as always his cheerleading skills are superb. Plus he has extra potions of lesser restoration. :p

hawkwind
May 16th, 2013, 08:13
Sorry I was being blind add well as stupid, it was 5am and I had just been woken by my two year old

hawkwind
May 16th, 2013, 08:13
Sorry I was being blind add well as stupid, it was 5am and I had just been woken by my two year old

Killian
May 16th, 2013, 12:16
Realised I'll be taking a different character to the next adventure so here's an .xml of my level 4 Sorceress Claudia plus familiar as well as last chronicle sheet.

And lol at the bag of Devouring wonder what loot we inadvertently destroyed!

hawkwind
May 17th, 2013, 08:12
Thanks Killian, Dust Raven could you register your self on the game calendar

Rose Claymore
May 17th, 2013, 09:18
If it's the one titled "pfs thornkeep" then I'm all signed up. Also, sorry if I'm waffling too much between character options, but I'm settling on my gunslinger. He'll be level 4 after Saturday, and after Midnight Mirror he'll be able to continue into Thornkeep, and avoid stepping on the clerics toes (and hopefully not shooting them off either).

hawkwind
May 17th, 2013, 13:54
Dust Raven

attached is your draft Chronicle sheet

add your expenditure if any and check for accuracy then post it back up here and i will sign it pronto

hawkwind
May 17th, 2013, 14:14
The intro for next weeks game to get you in the mood and to provide and alternative gaming experience to the old school full dungeon crawling endured so far

"Dreading the long trip from Thornkeep back to Absalom, the party instead heeded a summons along the way in Korvosa. There they met with Venture-Captain Varian Jeggare. The half-elven noble warmly greeted the party at his apartment near the Acadamae campus. His bodyguard, Radovan, stood quietly in the corner, arms crossed.

"It is fortuitous that I was able to reach you so quickly, Pathfinders. A dear friend of mine, Lady Tiboros of Nisroch, has some troubling news of her lovely daughter Anya. A sprightly girl, but I found her a competent enough horse rider on my last visit to their manor. Anyways, Anya was wed to Baron Boroi of Karpad going on a year now and she has already birthed a beautiful boy going on two months old now I believe. You see as a dutiful daughter, she maintains frequent contact with her mother, keeping her abreast of her day-to-day going-ons.

However, the tone of her letters has grown increasingly strained and her mother, Lady Tiboros, has not received any communication in going on three weeks. So as you can imagine the Lady is quite concerned about the well-being of her daughter. I do hate to impose, but it would bring relief to both myself and the Tiboros family if you would please travel to Karpad and check on dear Anya? She is the youngest of her family and her mother loves her so. I will take care of all your travel arrangements and you should arrive in a week's time."

The trip to Karpad was mercifully unremarkable, involving little more than a short ship ride through Conqueror's Bay allowing them to bypass the Mindspin Mountains. Then a short overland trek brought them directly to the village of Karpad. The nearest bit of civilization is the city of Pangolais that lies some 100 miles to the south."

Rose Claymore
May 17th, 2013, 16:18
Dust Raven

attached is your draft Chronicle sheet

add your expenditure if any and check for accuracy then post it back up here and i will sign it pronto
This appears to be a Chronicle Sheet for Towoen.

hawkwind
May 17th, 2013, 16:27
sorry try this one

hawkwind
May 17th, 2013, 16:28
sorry try this one , don't know what happened there

Rose Claymore
May 17th, 2013, 17:21
sorry try this one , don't know what happened there
Looks good. I'm not concerned with buying at this yet (I'll probably replace my potions during whatever I play next with him).

I'll upload my gunslinger Saturday or Sunday after I receive his chronicle sheets this weekend.

hawkwind
May 17th, 2013, 17:39
in that case here is the signed version

Killian
May 18th, 2013, 16:52
"Dreading the long trip from Thornkeep back to Absalom, the party instead heeded a summons along the way in Korvosa. There they met with Venture-Captain Varian Jeggare. The half-elven noble warmly greeted the party at his apartment near the Acadamae campus. His bodyguard, Radovan, stood quietly in the corner, arms crossed.

"It is fortuitous that I was able to reach you so quickly, Pathfinders. A dear friend of mine, Lady Tiboros of Nisroch, has some troubling news of her lovely daughter Anya. A sprightly girl, but I found her a competent enough horse rider on my last visit to their manor. Anyways, Anya was wed to Baron Boroi of Karpad going on a year now and she has already birthed a beautiful boy going on two months old now I believe. You see as a dutiful daughter, she maintains frequent contact with her mother, keeping her abreast of her day-to-day going-ons.

However, the tone of her letters has grown increasingly strained and her mother, Lady Tiboros, has not received any communication in going on three weeks. So as you can imagine the Lady is quite concerned about the well-being of her daughter. I do hate to impose, but it would bring relief to both myself and the Tiboros family if you would please travel to Karpad and check on dear Anya? She is the youngest of her family and her mother loves her so. I will take care of all your travel arrangements and you should arrive in a week's time."

The trip to Karpad was mercifully unremarkable, involving little more than a short ship ride through Conqueror's Bay allowing them to bypass the Mindspin Mountains. Then a short overland trek brought them directly to the village of Karpad. The nearest bit of civilization is the city of Pangolais that lies some 100 miles to the south."

A nobleman in distress? I definitely chose the right alternate.

No doubt the adventurers from Thornkeep would be content to leave Towoen in the town to recover from the loss of the spear and get cured of the curse, plus being the only one fluent in Varisian and with a slew of old contacts from his burglar days can get the best price for their rewards he volunteers to spend a few weeks there. He does profess that he'll keep a lot back for the Pathfinder Society as interests, if money was all that interested him he'd still be on the rooftops of Absalom.

At Korvosa the lobby of the half-elven noble is occupied by a Taldan woman of nobility. Dressed immaculately in a emerald green dress with black lace showing off her curves, curly black hair done in typical Taldan style up with several sticks to keep it that way with some trails coming down past her neck. Walks with an air of confidence in her position and speaks the a slight roll of her accent that seems almost sensuous, a tiny emphasis on the 's' sound almost a vocal caress. She nods politely to the group as the valet introduces her as Lady Claudia Ketrik, 3rd born of noble merchant house Ketrik of Absalom and a Pathfinder.

"A pleasure to meet you all, the Society is well abuzz with your recent successes and the rewards of your explorations in Thornkeep. I was the closest agent, being in Korvosa to cement some ties for my father's business. Varian... I mean, the Venture-Captain will inform you of the pertinent details but I will be rounding out your group on this endeavour. I have some in-born magical talents that have been useful to the society in the past and I have a passing acquaintance with the noble families in this area. I trust you will find me of use. "

Rose Claymore
May 18th, 2013, 18:06
An introduction:

While still young, Dust was captured and forced to server aboard a pirate ship in the Shackles. The crew considered the tengu youth a good luck charm of sorts, though treated him badly, particularly when the ships luck ran bad. Never being permitted to leave the ship (the crew insisted it would be bad luck), he often looked upon land with a hopeful eye, dreaming of freedom.

After a year, Dust's ship was attacked captured by the Andoran Navy. Although the entire crew were put to death for their crimes, Dust managed to escape exception by virtue of his gift of languages. While at sea the tengu was exposed to dozens of languages, and picked up a bit of each while managing to master a few he was exposed to more often than others. This talent saved his life in Andoran where he was adopted by an Eagle Knight captain and served as a ship's linguist.

Though Dust wanted more than anything to remain on land, he feared retribution and death at the hands of his new superiors and obeyed. He quickly discovered, however, he was treated far more fairly by the Andorans than his previous masters. Eventually he came to realize he was free to come and go as he pleased, and was even compensated for his work. Upon this realization, Dust took to his tasks with enthusiasm, learning all he could in the process.

His new captain recognized Dust had a talent for firearms after rough conflict at sea, and saw to it the tengu was provided with a musket and proper training in its use.

Eventually, Dust grew tired of his time at sea and longed for land and mountains and the excitement they might bring. Though he remains loyal to the nation of Andoran and the Eagle Knights, the young tengu now seeks adventure in the employ of the Pathfinder Society.

Dust Raven is a tengu gunslinger (musket master). In addition to providing ranged support to his team, Dust has a fair amount of skill in diplomacy and negotiation and speaks most human languages in the Inner Sea region. Should his team find themselves adventuring at sea, his skill as a sailor will provide a welcome asset.

Mgrancey
May 18th, 2013, 22:51
what is order for last 2 levels cause depending on the order it mess things up for what I have available.

hawkwind
May 19th, 2013, 14:41
I thought five then four would be the logical way to run it

Rose Claymore
May 19th, 2013, 22:15
As promised, here is Dust Raven's xml and Chronicle Sheet from today:

Tinculin
May 20th, 2013, 09:39
Hi, don't think I can make this week, will sit scenario out if you want to fill my spot

Mgrancey
May 20th, 2013, 10:25
I'm going to have to skip this module as the only character I have capable of playing I want to get the max of 6 prestige before Gencon so its modules only for them.

hawkwind
May 20th, 2013, 12:52
I'll put out a advert tonight for new players then

hawkwind
May 20th, 2013, 12:53
Tinculin, would a thursday suit you better?

hawkwind
May 20th, 2013, 12:53
Tinculin, would a thursday suit you better?

hawkwind
May 20th, 2013, 20:52
I always seem to double post from my Phone!

Anyway looks like we have only three players assuming RobG can make it from his in-laws

I am going to start a new thread re advertise the game and start up a new calendar entry for the Midnight mirror, existing players get first dibs

hawkwind
May 20th, 2013, 21:22
i'll post the signed chronicle sheets from the last game tomorrow evening so last chance for corrections and character purchases

RobG
May 21st, 2013, 08:13
Hi,

Here's my chronicle sheet and levelled up character. My connection here seems alright :-)

Rob

hawkwind
May 22nd, 2013, 12:24
all future posts should be posted on https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18790&highlight=midnight+mirror

hawkwind
May 24th, 2013, 13:53
here they are for your continued adventures