PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help?

Fnar777
March 11th, 2013, 09:12
Hey, is the Full Licence, or just the program, supposed to come with portraits? It didn't. If not where can I get some?

Valarian
March 11th, 2013, 09:51
It does come with the standard portraits, but you'll only see them if you join a game as a player. Portraits are one of the few things that are controlled from the player side. You can see what is available by going to the Application Data folder (from the Start menu, Programs, Fantasy Grounds, Application Data), and looking in the portraits folder.

gmkieran
March 11th, 2013, 15:49
If none of the stock portraits appeal, Google various class/race combinations - I've found a fair amount of free art around the web that makes great portraits (none particularly localized or I'd just give you a URL). You'll probably need to re-size the images to something close to whatever the included portrait resolution is, since that's what FG is optimized for. Iirc the Portraits folder is accessible in the program folder under Images, so you could preview the images outside of FG and add images easily.

Fnar777
March 11th, 2013, 21:19
It does come with the standard portraits, but you'll only see them if you join a game as a player. Portraits are one of the few things that are controlled from the player side. You can see what is available by going to the Application Data folder (from the Start menu, Programs, Fantasy Grounds, Application Data), and looking in the portraits folder.

K thanks ^^

Fnar777
March 11th, 2013, 21:20
If none of the stock portraits appeal, Google various class/race combinations - I've found a fair amount of free art around the web that makes great portraits (none particularly localized or I'd just give you a URL). You'll probably need to re-size the images to something close to whatever the included portrait resolution is, since that's what FG is optimized for. Iirc the Portraits folder is accessible in the program folder under Images, so you could preview the images outside of FG and add images easily.

Sounds easy enough, thanks ^^

unerwünscht
March 11th, 2013, 23:35
Tip #121: google 'baldur's gate portraits' and you will never have a lack of fantasy portraits.

Fnar777
March 13th, 2013, 07:35
Right so I went to the "Manage Characters" screen. I make a new character, clicked the portrait thing, and a blank window came up...

Valarian
March 13th, 2013, 09:53
Which ruleset are you using? If it's one of the community offerings, not all of them support the Manage Characters. Even with the commercial ones, you need the ruleset on the machine that is trying to do Manage Characters so many players can't do this. Personally, I only use the server character option - getting players to connect to create a character.

If you want to see what the players will use, start up a campaign in your Full Version. Then open up FG2 again and this time select Join a Game. Add a different name (e.g. TestUser) and put localhost in the alias area. You'll connect to your GM window as a player. If you create a character and select portraits, you should see the standard portraits set.

Fnar777
March 13th, 2013, 20:53
K I'll try that, and I'm using 3.5E of Dnd. I'll get back to you as soon as I test it out.

Valarian
March 13th, 2013, 22:55
Hmm, the 3.5e and 4e rulesets are two that I would expect to support the Manage Character option for local character creation. Those are the standard rulesets.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2013, 23:02
Hmm, the 3.5e and 4e rulesets are two that I would expect to support the Manage Character option for local character creation. Those are the standard rulesets.
I've just tested this and it works fine in the 3.5E ruleset and manage characters.

Fnar777 - have you checked to see if there is a portraits directory in your <FG App Data Folder> with images in there? This is where the application gets the portraits from and this was suggested by Valarian in post #2.

Fnar777
March 14th, 2013, 00:12
Well I tried it. I logged into the localhost trick (which I would have tried a lot sooner if I had watched the tutorial all the way through XP) and it didn't work. The Portrait window that comes up after you click its spot on the character sheet is completely blank. Maybe I could some how get that file from someone, and add it myself?

Trenloe
March 14th, 2013, 00:48
Is the "portraits" directory (check in windows file explorer) empty? Valarian and I aren't referring to the portraits window in Fantasy Grounds, but the actual underlying windows file folder. If this is empty then you will never see portraits, no matter what you do.

In Windows do this:

Click on the Windows "Start" button.
Select: All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.
This will open an instance of Windows explorer in the Fantasy Grounds data directory - where all of the info is stored.
Look for a "portraits" directory and open it. Check for image files in this folder.

If you follow the above steps and there is either not a portraits directory or no image files in the directory then this is your issue. Either uninstall and reinstall Fantasy Grounds, or manually create the "portraits" directory yourself and populate it with image files downloaded from the internet.

Fnar777
March 14th, 2013, 02:58
There was no "Fantasy Grounds II" folder in All Programs. Can I reinstall it without having to buy it again? I don't know if I still have the License Code.

Trenloe
March 14th, 2013, 05:17
There was no "Fantasy Grounds II" folder in All Programs. Can I reinstall it without having to buy it again? I don't know if I still have the License Code.
I think a reinstall is a good idea. If you bought FG through the store on this site you can get your license code through the "Order History" link in the top-right of the "Store" page.

EDIT: You can also get it before you uninstall by pressing the "Settings" button on the main (first) Fantasy Grounds screen.

Fnar777
March 14th, 2013, 07:17
Right, that fixed it! Thank you so much for the help, along with everyone who suggested things to help. I'm sorry it took me so long, and you've been a great help.