PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question #1 (3.5/PF Option): Items

GM Doug
March 9th, 2013, 02:33
I'm in the development phase of my first campaign using this ruleset and am looking for a solid breakdown of the features and best practices for "Items" and "Parcels".

Say, for example, I'd like to create a uniquely named +1 heavy repeating crossbow that's constructed from a special material (wood). I've imported a +1 enchanted weapon from the library and know how to unlock it for editing, but beyond the obvious weapon/aura/craft data do any of the other fields (subtype, alt name, notes, and properties) have any mechanical value in the ruleset or special utility to a player or GM?

It looks like the descriptor text box will take an image. Is this so? Additionally - might someone please layout the identified/unidentified status for me?

I'm assuming that once I've got the hang of 'items' I'll be able to make more sense of parcels.

Please keep in mind that as much as I'm looking for explanations on the mechanical side of these questions vis-a-vis the ruleset, I'm equally interested in hearing how GMs personally make use of tools and options within it. I'd eventually like to compose an detailed document of this stuff akin to Xorn's old 4e tutorials.

Thanks in advance!

GM Doug

Mgrancey
March 9th, 2013, 03:07
It looks like the descriptor text box will take an image. Is this so? Additionally - might someone please layout the identified/unidentified status for me?
Yes, it can. The box is formatted text, so it can handle all the formats FGII handles.

beyond the obvious weapon/aura/craft data do any of the other fields (subtype, alt name, notes, and properties) have any mechanical value in the ruleset or special utility to a player or GM?

I believe properties does, though I don't know the specifics.
Notes are for short descriptions when you build catagorized lists.
Sub-type I believe is for sorting items in Catagorized lists

I'm assuming that once I've got the hang of 'items' I'll be able to make more sense of parcels.
Parcels are just loot stashes, so that you don't have to provide access each item individually but can just give them a parcel instead. Its meant to be used with the Party sheet. At the top-left of the Inventory tab on the party sheet you can drop parcels which will allow the PCs access to the items and gold without having to hand them out individually.

Moon Wizard
March 9th, 2013, 21:23
The item records are primarily for tracking and reference. There is a little bit of automation when adding to a character sheet (i.e. adding weapon entry, transferring weapon properties and damage dice), but it still needs to be adjusted for the character's usage (hands, bonuses to hit/dmg from feats, etc.).

Item records can be dragged between modules, campaign item list, parcel records and character sheets. When dropped in another location, a copy is made (except for modules). Modules are primarily read-only reference sources.

Parcels are currently just groups of item links.

Regards,
JPG

Silveras
March 10th, 2013, 01:55
I think the OP is also seeking practical tips, like:

When I need to create a custom item, I usually start by dragging the link from a Library module to the Items window. This makes a new local entry that I can modify. After making changes, I drag the modified item (usually with a name change that helps me tell which one it is) into a Parcel.

If you do it the other way around (drag the Library link into the Parcel first), the Parcel is just a link to the library entry. If you make a "blank" Item in the Parcel, it seems to be local only to the parcel. Dragging something out of the Parcel to the Item list creates a "disconnected" Item entry that does not update the Parcel entry when you change the Item entry.

After creating the modified Item entry, you can drag and drop the adjusted Item entry onto the Item list again to create another copy, which is what I do when I need to give multiple NPCs the same items. I don't want to the entries in their parcels to point to the same Item instance.. I want each to have one, so that if the PCs defeat three enemies with Cloaks of Elvenkind, they get 3 separate cloaks to give out, not 3 links to the same Cloak. I rename each copy to make it easier to tell the source.

What you wind up with that way is a long Items list, but there are separate copies to give to each PC, and only as many as you need.

When it comes to Parcels, I often prepare a "X's gear" parcel for all the loot the PCs will capture from a defeated enemy, as well as an encounter-based parcel for the loot guarded (treasuries, and the like). If there is some material that is more hidden than the others, I may make separate parcels in that case.

Golgorosh
March 10th, 2013, 12:39
Hello
sorry, my english isnt that good and maybe i've missied something about the parcels.

I have just for test purpose created a parcel with only monetary items (earrings, bracers, fancy rings, ...)

I have noticed i can only do it like : Earring 75 GP in the description.
I think this is the way to do it.

Now, how do you handle the parcel 'spitting' between PCs? I've tried to drag and drop an item on a PCs but i cant in the inventory.

Is there some explanation about all this 'parcels' thing. It looks a great idea but not very easy to understand.

Thanx :)

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2013, 19:11
Documentation comes slow, since we are part time. We tend to prioritize new functionality.

For distribution, there is an "Inventory" tab in the party sheet where you can drop parcels, perform coin splits, and assign items to characters.

Within the parcel record sheet, you can drag the item "link" to a character inventory.

Regards,
JPG

GM Doug
March 10th, 2013, 22:44
Many thanks to all who've responded thus far and here's to the hope that others will continue to chime in with their advice, knowledge, and opinions.

Documentation comes slow, since we are part time. We tend to prioritize new functionality.

I completely empathize with you moon_wizard and mean to cast no disparagement upon you given that you have been a noted spearhead with regard to the development of FG rulesets and features in direct response to user requests. This is the prime motivator behind my suggestion that we - as a community - actively engage in the development of a user guide specific to the 3.5 ruleset and PF option that is at once more detail-orientated than that featured in the site Library and better able to inform users (new and old) on basics of the ruleset and its PF option as well as the functions of optional extensions and module resources (often later incorporated into the base 3.5 ruleset and/or PF format). A pool of experienced and knowledgeable members in these forums working in tandem should be able to provide such a resource.

Lest I sound like a mere complainer, having been a full license holder for some 10-odd years, I have always despaired at the consistent lack of accessible tutorial resources for basic rulesets. Because of this, I have historically limited my use of the platform thus far to rulesets like Call of Cthulhu which are less reliant on a lot 'bell and whistle" features. But I yearn to spread my wings to 3.5 and Pathfinder specifically. I just don't want to have to spend hours (days, actually) poring through the FG Community Boards and You Tube videos only to find dated information that applies only to specific, alternate rulesets (4E, for example).

I earnestly believe that such a project is in the best interests of both SmiteWorks and Pathfinder Society Members (Hey, Trenloe! :D ) because it will help facilitate the more rapid integration of new customers and Society members.

Whether this begins with a sticky 'stupid questions' thread on my part or a more collectively managed and updated thread or document/pdf resource on the FG site, I am hopeful that others in the community will see the value in the creation of a 3.5/PFRPG-specific 'Go-To Manual' for straight-up consumer GMs and players.

Sincerely,

GM Doug
(formerly known as DM Doug)

GM Doug
March 10th, 2013, 23:04
Mgrancy,

Thank you for your insights on images within items and parcel usage.

I asked in the OP: Beyond the obvious weapon/aura/craft data do any of the other fields (subtype, alt name, notes, and properties) have any mechanical value in the ruleset or special utility to a player or GM?

To which Mgrancy responded:

I believe properties does, though I don't know the specifics.
Notes are for short descriptions when you build catagorized lists.
Sub-type I believe is for sorting items in Catagorized lists

This exemplifies the need for a consolidated resource on full feature use for GMs raised in my previous post. Mgrancy sheds some light, but is himself not entirely certain of the full answer.

Silveras responded:

think the OP is also seeking practical tips, like ...

That's exactly the kind of crunchy advice I'm looking for Silveras! Thank you greatly. I'll add your input to the tutorial/user guide I'm slowly pecking away at.

Please keep the individual GM advise coming! :)