PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Futures (Sci-Fi Pathfinder)

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 21:57
I'm starting to build a mod based on Pathfinder for the Infinite futures Rule set.

I extracted "PF-SRD-Basic-Rules" and changed the Folder name to "PF-Infinite Futures"

I changed the definition file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>PFRPG - Infinite Futures</name>
<author>PFRPG - Avalone Games/Shain Edge</author>
<ruleset>3.5E PF</ruleset>
</root>

I changed the Dwarf definition to the AndroidIndustrial, and changed the list to describe the new race.

I repackaged the Folder as a .zip with the "PF-Infinite Futures.mod" name.

I went into Fantasy grounds to test the module, and could not find it in the library module activation.

What step am I missing to add it to the list of potential list of activations?

Trenloe
March 8th, 2013, 22:10
The most common issue when creating modules is zipping the whole directory from outside of the directory. Make sure you are inside your module directory, select all of the files and zip from within the directory, rename to .mod and off you go.

A quick way to check is to rename your current .mod file to .zip and open it in a zip program. If you see just a single directory/folder at the first level then the module file has not been correctly zipped up.

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 22:19
You were correct that I ended up zipping the folder up within the zip file.

I did what you instructed, and zipped the files up within the folder to the archive. I double checked, and the files are shown in the root of the archive.

However, after restarting FGII and checking the Library Module activation, it still is not showing up.

Thank you for the help so far.

PF-Infinite Futures.mod
client.xml
definition.xml
thumbnail.png

Trenloe
March 8th, 2013, 22:25
Change the <ruleset> tag in your module to just show 3.5E. This has to match the name of the ruleset you are using and you will only see modules that have the same name as the ruleset name or no ruleset tag at all in the Module Activation window.

Mgrancey
March 8th, 2013, 22:30
Your other problem is probably going to be that you changed the name in the definition but it sounds like you didn't change it in the source (db.xml; client.xml; common.xml) which is going to require being changed all throughout it in all the <recordname> ____._____@____</recordname> and recordname=" ____._____@____"

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 22:46
One step at a time, It's starting to come together. I am able to select and activate the module.

Next problem I'm having, for which I tried to fix by changing the record name @ suffixes to '@PF Infinite Futures' through a mass copy replace, but still not working.

I'm getting an error-
Could not open sheet with data from unloaded module 'PF Infinite Futures'

-for everything except the Legal Notice.

Is there a FAQ document that covers my questions?

(Mgrancey: Thanks, going to look to see if I can get it to work using your advice.)

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 22:51
Your other problem is probably going to be that you changed the name in the definition but it sounds like you didn't change it in the source (db.xml; client.xml; common.xml) which is going to require being changed all throughout it in all the <recordname> ____._____@____</recordname> and recordname=" ____._____@____"

Theoretically, what I did, should have fixed what you stated. It hasn't worked yet.

I have not found any db.xml or common.xml yet. Am I going to need to find and change them?

definition.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>PFRPG - Infinite Futures</name>
<author>PFRPG - Avalone Games/Shain Edge</author>
<ruleset>3.5E</ruleset>
</root>

client.xml example
<recordname>lists.races@PFRPG Basic Rules</recordname>

(Don't worry yet, still working on perfecting my bad editing!)

Mgrancey
March 8th, 2013, 23:03
db.xml is for GM only information
common.xml is for sharing with players even if they don't have it
client.xml is for sharing with players that have it as well.
These are files in the .mod/.zip folder.

If you haven't run your xml through a checker, I use Xray XML editor. It will check for XML errors which need fixed before it can be processed by FG. As an example, I am finishing up S & R Catalog for Deadlands reloaded, but all '&' must be '&amp;' or it generates errors, so any I mixed while copying from the PDF would create fits.

If you want to post/mail file to me (Skype: Mgrancey usually on) I can give it a double check as well.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2013, 23:03
Is there a FAQ document that covers my questions?
Not specifically. The module you are using is a good example, and searching the forums is your main resource for researching the answer yourself.

Make sure your <name> entry in definition.xml is the same as the name you are using in the links in client.xml.

e.g. <recordname>lists.races@PF Infinite Futures</recordname> is looking for the lists.races section in the module with the name "PF Infinite Futures", so the name tag in definition.xml should be: <name>PF Infinite Futures</name>

Regarding db, client and common.xml files. There is usually only one of these in a module. Which one defines the type of module and how it is shared with players. For info on module types see: GM Guide - Desktop -> Library and Modules -> Module Types in the left sidebar in the User's Guide: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_library.xcp

Mgrancey
March 8th, 2013, 23:12
There is a good reference document that you can find in the forums somewhere, but i downloaded it and access it when needed.
Searched for Module making manual

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12948

This is thread, makes a good reference. Might have to write up my SW template breakdown I've done at some point to share.

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 23:15
No more errors. Now I just have to find where the links are to unlink the original Dwarf race and newly link the Android.

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 23:23
Yey!!

First object is down!

I now have an Industrial Android as a race that I can view in FGII.

Next is to modify a piece of Armor so it utilizes both a combination of AC (called DEF) and DR.

That is Probably one of the biggest changes between Pathfinder and Infinite Futures.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2013, 23:27
No more errors. Now I just have to find where the links are to unlink the original Dwarf race and newly link the Android.
Everything before the @ sign in a link refers to the XML structure. So, if you have a lists.races@... link then this will be in the XML structure:
Get yourself a good XML editor - there are many out there and people will have their own favourite. I use Notepad++ (the screenshot above is from Notepad++) which is free and has a good XML plugin that formats the XML nicely and allows for syntax checking: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 23:36
I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012. It has a decent xml editor.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2013, 23:39
Yey!!

First object is down!

I now have an Industrial Android as a race that I can view in FGII.
Congratulations! :)

Next is to modify a piece of Armor so it utilizes both a combination of AC (called DEF) and DR.

That is Probably one of the biggest changes between Pathfinder and Infinite Futures.
This will more than likely require a modification to the 3.5E ruleset. Or, perhaps you could just use effects for the DR functionality. But, storing this nicely in the armour item entry would need at least a cosmetic change to the ruleset XML that defines the armour item window.

eklypse0
March 8th, 2013, 23:47
The Armor, so far is being less difficult then the Race was. Mostly because I understand now how the file stores Player viewed data and game stat data from the first set of mistakes.

Probably to make it easy, I'll just add the DR adjustment in the Description, at least until I get to understand the foundations better.

Thanks for the exceptional help so far!